Car Tyres

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Do any of you guys have experience of car tyres? Need to get all 4 replaced and thinking of going for what we have at the moment which are Michelin primacy 4.
They are summer tyres but now you can get All season ones. As with everything nowadays it's paralysis by analysis.
Don't know if we should go for the all season as we live in Scotland and it rains for about 320 days a year ?. And there's the cold weather in winter etc.
Don't want to get two sets one for winter one for summer. Can't store them and the cost is prohibitive.
Any horror stories about all season tyres?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve done 60k miles now on all Vredestein Quatrac Pro all season without any issues. They grip well in cold wet weather and have got me home a couple of times when it’s snowed.

They probably aren’t as good as proper winter tyres in the worst weather, but I would say they are a great compromise.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve done 60k miles now on all Vredestein Quatrac Pro all season without any issues. They grip well in cold wet weather and have got me home a couple of times when it’s snowed.

They probably aren’t as good as proper winter tyres in the worst weather, but I would say they are a great compromise.

60K on one set of tyres WOW .

Last time I came that close was when I drove a transit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vredestein are a great shout, a quality mfr. I have, or had, Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons on my car having previously done summer then winter tyres for many years.

Either of those would be excellent, as would the Michelin option but they tend to be the most expensive out there.

As you say, a great compromise if you want to avoid changing and storing tyres.

The only horror stories you will find are from cheap Chinese tyres. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys. The Vredestein don't seem to come in the correct size. Think we're going for the Continental all season contact.
They're not cheap so I'm assuming they're OK ?. Want to avoid the cheap, rubbish ones.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Try this;

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

I used to swap tyres to full winters on my previous car, when the current tyres on my present car need replacing I'll be doing the same thing, even though I'm in the tropical south. Personally I think that manufacturers should be providing all seasons tyres as standard in the UK rather than summer tyres, given the extremes of weather that we can get.

No experience of any of the ones on the test but the full winters were Continentals and the difference was amazing in poor conditions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. The Vredestein don't seem to come in the correct size. Think we're going for the Continental all season contact.
They're not cheap so I'm assuming they're OK ?. Want to avoid the cheap, rubbish ones.
Try any of these sites:

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/
https://www.camskill.co.uk/

The Camskill site is awful but they have a good selection and the prices are keen. They often have last years model, think of it as like last years driver. Still spot on but cheaper :LOL:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Depends what you're driving. Continentals on a 4x4 tend to wear their shoulders.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Try this;

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

I used to swap tyres to full winters on my previous car, when the current tyres on my present car need replacing I'll be doing the same thing, even though I'm in the tropical south. Personally I think that manufacturers should be providing all seasons tyres as standard in the UK rather than summer tyres, given the extremes of weather that we can get.

No experience of any of the ones on the test but the full winters were Continentals and the difference was amazing in poor conditions.
Wow. That's a lot of info. Thanks. Might now swap to the Michelin cross climates ?.
I agree that all season tyres should be fitted as standard. Having done a bit of research and know they exist it seems barmy to not have them. I guess it's to do with fuel efficiency rather than price.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been on all those looking yesterday. Just checked there and I don't think any of them had the sizing I need. Cheers anyway.

P.s. the Camskill website is horrendous ?
It's the sort of site that came out when companies first started using the internet o_O. Badly needs sorting but if you can get past that they often have great prices. Mind, they are based in Whitehaven so they are in only in around 1995 in their world :ROFLMAO:

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Wow. That's a lot of info. Thanks. Might now swap to the Michelin cross climates ?.
I agree that all season tyres should be fitted as standard. Having done a bit of research and know they exist it seems barmy to not have them. I guess it's to do with fuel efficiency rather than price.

You're welcome. I thought the summaries at the end on each tyre were useful; the Hankook piqued my interest, especially as it won the weighted test.

If you look to the link to the side of the main page, there is an all seasons UHP test which might be useful, as it introduces a new Michelin option...

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-UHP-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

https://toptirereview.com/michelin-pilot-sport-all-season-4-vs-michelin-cross-climate-2/

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the page that BiM has posted, there is a link down the right hand side to the Auto Bild tests. They cover even more brands and are recognised as one of the best tyre testers out there year after year. The more of these you check, the more information you have to make your choice. All good stuff.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
On the page that BiM has posted, there is a link down the right hand side to the Auto Bild tests. They cover even more brands and are recognised as one of the best tyre testers out there year after year. The more of these you check, the more information you have to get confused. All good stuff.

Fixed that for you... ;):D

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Is this only important for high performance cars or useful for all cars (albeit i assume at a slightly diminished level?)

Personally I would say all cars. Any car is potentially a deadly weapon if it loses its grip on the road, and the only thing that provides that grip is the tyre.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...are/safe-driving/using-summer-tires-in-winter

Tire performance differences
Winter tires, all-season-tires and summer tires differ in the pliability and durability of their rubber at different temperatures. Tire engineers call it "glass transition temperature": Get them cold enough and every tire will have the grip of a Formica kitchen counter. For a race tire, it might be 40 Fahrenheit. For a winter tire it could be 60 degrees below zero. Summer tire tread starts becoming Formica-like somewhere just below freezing. Most all-season tires are still pliable below zero, but some "ultra-high-performance all-season" tires start losing grip well before that.