Wedge dilema

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Current wedge setup is Titleist SM7's

50° 12F / 54° 08M / 58° 08M

All wedge flex purchased in January 2020 with no fitting, just me using the wedge selector on their website:
https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx

I play on average, 18 holes between 2 and 3 times a week all through the year.
My course is soft in the winter and very firm in the summer!

Yesterday my course had a Titleist Demo and I got fitted for the SM9's.

Titleist SM9 50° 8F / Titleist SM9 54° 10S / Titleist SM9 58° 08M
1/2 inch longer to match my irons - everything else standard.

The fitting used this tool:
https://www.titleist.co.uk/teamtitl...leist-introduces-innovative-wedge-fitting-app

The dilemma or options I have are.

• Do nothing and play my current wedges until some new SM10's come out and then get the SM9's cheaper - not sure when this will be?
  • Replace the 50 and 54 and keep the 58 as the spec is the same - replace the 58 at some point in the future when the clubs drop a bit in price, but at least I'll have the better fit clubs as we move in to the new season
  • Replace them all - keep my current wedges for use during the winter when the extra bounce will be useful in the softer conditions, also preserving the life of the SM9's as I won't use them for each full season
  • Replace them all and sell my current wedges in the spring to offset the new purchases
No one can tell me what is the best option, just thinking out loud really :)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Due to the extra half inch - id say sell what you have and buy the new wedges - so long as you do feel that they added something that your old wedges didn't.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The easy place to start is with the 58 - just get an extension piece fitted to the butt end under the grip to get the extra half an inch.

You could do the same with the 54

I would keep the 50 for when you have very wet, soft conditions and just buy the new one.

My wedges often get changed to suit the expected conditions based upon the recent weather.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comes down to affordability.
if you can afford to keep your old wedges and buy the new ones great.
get the old ones lengthened for practicing, this is what wears wedges most.

it’s always going to be in your head ,if you hit a bad wedge shot you will be thinking “ should have got the SM9s”

plus in 12 months time your spec might change.

Jason.H

Visit site
I’m toying with the idea of a higher bounce 56 for bunkers. Either that or getting in the practice bunker an hour a week.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would get rid of the 50 and 54 and replace them with a 52.

That is what I have done with my new irons I now have a no.10 and no. 11 iron:LOL:

52 wedge has always been my 'go to' wedge and before they changed the type of sand in our bunkers I never had anything more lofted in the bag.