Leaves

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We're well into the leaf season...how does your club deal with them?
There will be some that don't get many at all and some that get swamped.
Pick 'em up, leave them, let the wind deal with it?

We're pretty hot on getting shot of them.
For about 6 weeks, 2 of the Greenkeepers are purely on leaf duty..
We have an attachment that goes on one of the tractors that houses a pretty strong fan and they collect them into a long strip and another bit of kit comes along and hoovers them up
They're doing a damn fine job...barely have any leaves to lose a ball under...

My 3 previous clubs have all just left them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're well into the leaf season...how does your club deal with them?
There will be some that don't get many at all and some that get swamped.
Pick 'em up, leave them, let the wind deal with it?

We're pretty hot on getting shot of them.
For about 6 weeks, 2 of the Greenkeepers are purely on leaf duty..
We have an attachment that goes on one of the tractors that houses a pretty strong fan and they collect them into a long strip and another bit of kit comes along and hoovers them up
They're doing a damn fine job...barely have any leaves to lose a ball under...

My 3 previous clubs have all just left them.
We have machinary that fixes to the tractor thing, but it's been so wet they cannot use any machinary full stop right now.
Its just the penalty for having trees around the course. A time to use cheap balls, and not take it seriously.

Mandofred

Visit site
They blow them off to one side and then pick them up as well as possible.....this year? Just can't get machines on the course. A course back in the US I used to play at a lot had a wide thin vacuum attachment they put on a tractor (8 feet wide?).....and that sucked them all up and blew them into a big trailer behind the tractor with a big mesh chicken wire type cage around it. That thing sucked leaves like crazy....they just drove them off somewhere on the course....not sure if they burned them or composted them. I was very impressed how simple+quick it was to just drive up and down the fairways leaving clean 8 foot wide strips.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use two methods

1. A high power leaf blower towed by one the utility vehicles
2. An extra large (think size of a small rubbish collector lorry ) vacuum to suck them up.

One of the troubles with the vacuum is that it can cause ridges and some pretty awful lies in the long grass.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Nothing worse than hitting a decent drive.... 'oh it's ok, only in the light rough'..... and then never see the ball again. Hate it..

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club blows them to the side of the fairways and then has a hopper thing that picks them up. I assume they have been doing that but since my club has been closed for over a week, I haven't seen the course first hand.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We’re a download course, over 27 holes we have about 6-8 clusters of very young trees that are out of play. We don’t do anything with them leaves.

One good thing about our set up.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Overhead of course.jpg

Greenkeepers blow leaves out of the bunkers and off and away from the greens without vehicle use. If they can get vehicles safely along the soggy fairways then the leaves get blown into the rough under the trees. Then it is up to the leaf-fairies to deal with them, but the greenkeepers do remove them if they have A LOT OF TIME.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Hopefully our green keepers have picked all ours up, might find out in May when the course eventually dries out and re-opens....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea. I never even considered that a clubs green staff would actually do something about removing leaves. I figured they were just there and you were stuck with them.

D

Deleted member 1147

Normally ours are collected, but it’s been too wet to get the machine out on the course. So they’re still out there waiting for my ball.