Cannot sleep prior to playing golf earlier than normal!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No idea why this happens. If I have a tee of around 9, just a roll up, or going for an away day and being picked up early I cannot sleep.
i set the clock so no’s issues there, no nerves, not an important match and know I will wake up and be on time.

If I have a more important match with a tee of say 11, I have no problem whatever it may be. Not really a nervous worrying guy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same. If I’m going for a dawn round I’ll be lucky to get a couple of hours. You’re not alone, I don’t have a cure but I try to get up early the day before, have plenty to tire me out and get to bed early to give me the best chance of a few hours straight. You’re playing golf in the morning. You are fortunate beyond measure. Don’t stress the sleep, won’t make any difference on the first tee ?️‍♂️

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right on cue...

Captain’s Texas scramble today, tee off at 8am, need to leave the house at 7am, alarm set for 6...been awake since 4.30! ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No alcohol after 9pm and no caffeine after 7.

If you find a cure for waking up at 4 am please let me know.

I have reached an age where about 5 hours sleep at night is enough. The trouble is that whereas years ago I could easily stay awake until around 1am I find myself falling asleep around 11pm.

D

Deleted member 25172

On my way to the course now for my 9:52 tee off. Been awake since 3am.

Same thing every week. Lucky if I get to sleep to 5.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reassuring comments and conflicting re taking alcohol or not. We like the odd slurp which helps to go to sleep. Struggle after the pee break or 2 during the night. Strange that others have a similar problem and worse for me when I hav eno problem with a later tee time.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As the say in football
'You can cope with the failure its the expectation that's the killer.'

When I played in my first Pro tournament I had an early tee time and never slept a wink the night before.
Probably my worst night was when I was in charge of the county team for the English schools finals.
I also drove the bus and I was collecting the team at 6.30am.
At 11.30pm I realised I did not have an alarm clock in the B&B and my early style mobile phone did not have an alarm function.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i find heavy drinking works for me:LOL:

i did know a guy at Torvean who had this really bad for this would get very exited about playing and would be up at 5am and down the course even though at times he wasn't paying till 10am or later. he even got DQ'd a few times as he went out and played before the comp, not to get an advantage just because he was obsessed with golf

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lol.
I work shifts, and the first one of a week of earlies often starts in the same way.
Funnily enough, the rest of the week is much better as the tiredness kicks in. If you got up at 0430 the day before, maybe it would be fine for the comp?? Maybe.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm use to getting up at 5.00am every morning so I'm worse if I have a late morning or afternoon time. I'll wake up at my normal time and rarely drift back to anything like a meaningful sleep so tend to get up and then have to mooch around the house waiting for time to tick by. Only so many times you can pack the bag and double check it

jcgrey87

Visit site
Huh! Thanks for sharing this information. I have been struggling with sleepless nights myself. I’ve tried different methods to fall asleep, but nothing really helped. I’ve found a lot of different recommendations online, and tried almost all of them. I cannot guarantee that all of them helps to sleep better, but some of them really work. I’ve read somewhere that weighted blankets help to relax and sleep calmly during the night. I ordered one straight away from sommio.co.uk and passionately weighted for the delivery. I wanted to check on my self if it works or not. Surprisingly, it does help to fall asleep easily. I even stopped waking up at night.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s an age thing.
When I was younger slept like a log no matter what shift I was on .
Now am happy to just get to sleep.
Happier to wake up though.

sunshine

Visit site
I have a suggestion. Open up the thread on here where people tell us about their round, settle down to read the thrilling exploits where someone recounts in minute detail that double bogey after a drive into the left rough, and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz