Caddies

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was looking at Green fees for top courses and one offered caddies for £55 plus gratuity. I think a skilled caddy would add enormously to the enjoyment, but how much constitutes a decent gratuity? I wouldn’t have a clue.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I was looking at Green fees for top courses and one offered caddies for £55 plus gratuity. I think a skilled caddy would add enormously to the enjoyment, but how much constitutes a decent gratuity? I wouldn’t have a clue.
I honestly wouldn’t know but don’t think I’d pay more than £50. I get what you’re saying as it would be interesting but if it isn’t mandatory I think I’d get more out of 3 of 4 lessons for the same combined price.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I would exercise some caution. I know someone who caddies occasionally at a local "top course". He is a mid handicapper, not a member of that club (members cannot caddie) and so I wonder how much value he would add. I get that a full time caddie who knows the course inside out, would be worthwhile, but am unsure how many are like that, and how many courses supplement their team with part time, occasional guys with less expertise.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The tip is whatever you want it to be.
If you feel that he has helped you, reads greens, tells stories and generally got you around the course better than you would have done by yourself you could throw in another £20.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Caddy at my home club, ive been a member 13 yesrs and off 3. Tbh the majority of people who ask for caddies are Americans, its still a common practice I'm told for them to have caddies at home clubs back in the states, they also have a tipping culture. Is it a help? For some yes, I've had a couple of guys that beat the pb by 10 shots and were over the moon and attributed mist of it down to having a caddy but most of it I'd say was stopping them.playing stupid hero shots. Some though a waste of time, if you don't know your left from right and have no real control of any shot. I've had a caddy myself a couple a couple of times one being the old course, he did helped me, i shot a decent ish score from memory, I paid him £100 and this was a few years ago. I'd say if you want a caddy have one but the barest minimum should be £70 if the are OK and give the correct line off the tee and putts. The 3 main clubs up here that do get a lot of visitors grade it this way.

Satisfactory £70
Good and enhanced the round £80 to £90
Excellent and above, £90+

D

Deleted member 25575

I’ve had a caddie a few times and they very much vary in what you get from them.
Some have been really helpful loads of good stories keeping an eye on errant balls, help with reading putts, lines off tees etc.
Others less so, putt reads that weren’t great, one asking me what I thought and just agreed (where as one of the best ones talked me through every putt - there is a slight rise there it will break left from the top of that gain speed to the hole but there is a small borrow 5ft before the hole that will straighten the putt out so your aim is the left side of that darker patch there). All have gotten the lines off tees correctly but some of you push them will agree that your line would work where others tell you you’re swinging the club but the line is what they said and if you want to go with your given line then watch out of that bunker or whatever.
Some have little to no stories which is disappointing as that’s one of the more entertaining aspects.
The best bit by far though is when you hit a shot to the green from the fairway of par3 tee and your caddie rips off the putter head cover and you get to walk up to the green putter in hand. Loved that.
Gratuity is what you think they are worth, I’d be looking to add 50% onto the cost if they’ve done a decent enough job going upwards if they have excelled.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
That’s really interesting. I’ve never had a caddy but when I’ve had on course lessons with a pro it’s always been really enjoyable. They give me the line, the correct club, and particularly the line of putts, and that’s reflected in the hole score. I’m amazed how difficult Reading putts is. I can think it’s running one way and my playing partner the exact opposite.

D

Deleted member 23344

I wouldn't want to use a caddy … given my handicap, it is inevitable that they would be a much better player than me. It would be embarrassing! ?

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The pro shop / caddy master would usually be able to help advise what range of tips are the norm as it will vary greatly depending on the club.
Where I caddied as a teenager, we got 100% of the caddy fee charged by the club and a good tip was usually 50%-100% of the caddy fee again. It was usually the regular playing members who tipped the least or not at all, but they provided the more regular work during the quiet months which was appreciated anyway.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My wife once offered to caddy for me in return for a trip to Ikea. I chose to carry my own bag.

Last edited: