Budget 2021. What 1 change would you make?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They're more expensive than comparable cheaper cars of the same age.
Of course they are. The point that seems to have whizzed over your head is that a used car is not expensive now. It is not affordable only by the rich. Your petty jealousy is being directed at people who can't afford the car while it's actually expensive.

Tbh never heard of someone deciding to buy choose a car purely on age before. I've always set a budget and got the best car I could for that price that meets my requirements.

You're trying to compare a used BMW with a new Ford Fiesta.
No, I'm not trying to compare them. I'm succeeding in comparing them. You can get a nice used beemer for the same price as nice new fiesta. The former has already taken it's big hit in depreciation. The latter will depreciate like used toilet paper. Over the next couple of years, and including depreciation, the used beemer will be much cheaper to run than the new fiesta.

Driven badly, usually, by some boy racer, or an oldie that acts like a boy racer.
Tripe.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why not just pay them universal credit or state pension ?.
Others are expected to survive on it.

for me, because they were furloughed and told not to work, their companies shut down by the pandemic, they didnt lose their jobs, they didnt become OAPs overnight. How many people would have become homeless unable to pay rent and/or mortgages in that situation? what state would that have left the country in?

do you not support any of the financial business support measures the govt has used through the pandemic?

pretty sure why would be a better question

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
for me, because they were furloughed and told not to work, their companies shut down by the pandemic, they didnt lose their jobs, they didnt become OAPs overnight. How many people would have become homeless unable to pay rent and/or mortgages in that situation? what state would that have left the country in?

do you not support any of the financial business support measures the govt has used through the pandemic?

pretty sure why would be a better question
I asked why, companies go bust all the time for what ever reason, the employees are redundant and left on universal credit .
I've heard rumours of self employed furloughed people still working for cash only :eek:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I asked why, companies go bust all the time for what ever reason, the employees are redundant and left on universal credit .
I've heard rumours of self employed furloughed people still working for cash only :eek:

i know you did and i answered it, if you dont want to answer why you dont think so thats up to you. if you dont agree with the government supporting businesses and employees through the pandemic who have been unable to work then thats your choice, albeit one i expect very few people agree with. btw no one self employed has been furloughed, they have been eligible for the SEISS, and under that scheme they are still allowed to work (doesnt have to be for cash)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He said during lockdown 1 you can still work if self employed your tax next year will adjust

Also furlough people can work... Just not for their company.. could go stack self's in Tesco's for example

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
He said during lockdown 1 you can still work if self employed your tax next year will adjust

Also furlough people can work... Just not for their company.. could go stack self's in Tesco's for example
Seemingly some self employed tradesmen on furlough receiving 80% of their income, but still working for additional undeclared/untraceable cash in hand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It'll be able to go down to zero in 2022.
Good news. Why wait though? It will be interesting to see how many go to zero when I think only the UK had actually reduced to 5%, other than Ireland of course, the other countries remained higher than the lower amount allowed.

Thankfully it is zero here now, what happens elsewhere is beyond our control.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Twas a bit of an ouch for me. I switched a to newer model of the same vehicle last year with a switch from diesel to petrol and went from £30 to £150. £150 is a bit of an ouch when you are a very low mileage driver.

The days of the £30 road tax is gone.
My wife had a Citigo 66 plate, £30 tax.
Replaced it with a 19 plate, £150 tax.

D

Deleted member 16999

Seemingly some self employed tradesmen on furlough receiving 80% of their income, but still working for additional undeclared/untraceable cash in hand.
So millions forced on to furlough, had their income cut, jobs put at risk, homes at risk, etc

All to protect the NHS and save lives and you want them punished because of a few, apparently, dodgy self employed people taking the michael. :rolleyes:

What a sad Country we live in

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
May have got figures slightly wrong and if so apologies.

Govt. Estimated 11 % unemployment but reduced to 6 % yesterday ( huge reduction). Nov. 20 Rate was 5% which equated to 1.74m Dec 20. An increase to 6% would mean around 350,000 more.

This seems extremely low and optimistic and does somebody just hazard a guess and it is acceptable to reduce from 11 to 6 %?

GuyInLyon

Visit site
You can get a nice used beemer for the same price as nice new fiesta.
Along with the attendant higher insurance rates, lower fuel efficiency, lack of guaranty, etc.
Plus you'd be driving a BMW, and most BMW drivers are bounders

Last edited by a moderator:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Along with the attendant higher insurance rates, lower fuel efficiency, lack of guaranty, etc.
Plus you'd be driving a BMW, and most BMW drivers are bounders.

What do you drive @GuyInLyon that prevents you from being bounder

Surely those stereotypes are a thing of the past?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
May have got figures slightly wrong and if so apologies.

Govt. Estimated 11 % unemployment but reduced to 6 % yesterday ( huge reduction). Nov. 20 Rate was 5% which equated to 1.74m Dec 20. An increase to 6% would mean around 350,000 more.

This seems extremely low and optimistic and does somebody just hazard a guess and it is acceptable to reduce from 11 to 6 %?
Govt / Treasury forecasts are notoriously questionable. It's guesswork. It might be educated guesswork but guesswork is what it ultimately comes down to. Don't be tricked into thinking they are all seeing and knowing.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Plus you'd be driving a BMW, and most BMW drivers are bounder.
Since the OP requested a non-arguing thread I'll keep quiet now.

Your last sentence breaks forum guidelines and is pure troll, so I'm out.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Don't be tricked into thinking they are all seeing and knowing.

or equally tricked in thinking they are all stupid... I've spent the morning with some folk who are world leaders in stuff that most folk on here (inc me initially) don't even know is "stuff!"

Shutting down the UK for 12 months has lost us about 10% of GDP. That needs fixing. It's going to be tough and lengthy. (Unless you are a Facebook expert of course, who could sort it by the end of March if their mum would allow them!)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
or equally tricked in thinking they are all stupid... I've spent the morning with some folk who are world leaders in stuff that most folk on here (inc me initially) don't even know is "stuff!"

Shutting down the UK for 12 months has lost us about 10% of GDP. That needs fixing. It's going to be tough and lengthy. (Unless you are a Facebook expert of course, who could sort it by the end of March if their mum would allow them!)
I would never suggest they are stupid, they are way above my level. Their forecasting is dreadful though, as most forecasts are. They don't account for Dr Malcolm's chaos theory, Jurassic Park, a big mistake :LOL:. I stopped taking notice of forecasts some time ago, they are not worth stressing over or equally, getting excited over.