British Par 3 Chanpionship

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Off to Nailcote Hall on Friday to the British Par 3 champs. Actually got a media pass from another publication (sorry GM!) and really looking forward to it. I've seen it on Sky before and it looks a really tight, tough layout, and the fly overs on their website seem to confirm this. Anyone else going or been before?

badger57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Off to Nailcote Hall on Friday to the British Par 3 champs. Actually got a media pass from another publication (sorry GM!) and really looking forward to it. I've seen it on Sky before and it looks a really tight, tough layout, and the fly overs on their website seem to confirm this. Anyone else going or been before?

Are you competing in the event

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played it a couple of times, it's pretty good. Good fun. Several tricky holes over water. Think I shot 3 or 4 over.

Was in OK condition the first time but was very poor the 2nd time (tees and greens) so we never went back.

Should be in better nick for this!

Enjoy!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's one event I always enjoy watching on the box. When you watch the pros it shows what a tough layout it is.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Played it loads as it's 10 minutes from my house.

Even though you play off mats the experience to the small, usually raised greens and having to carry everything in front of you, really hones in the short game.

They give out loads of tickets free everywhere locally, so if anyone wants any I should be able to get my hands on some.

Rick (the owner) is really proud of it, so much so he built a huge clubhouse for it so you no longer have to swan about the hotel area and bars.

They do great evening entertainment dinners there with themed bands and artists and have a marquee for weddings etc.

For such a small area he made a great little 9 hole course, but don't be fooled by the distances, it's a decent test.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf Hacker - covers both the mag and my game. Really excited. Some great footage from Hacker Golfer on social media already and some good names playing.

Great, enjoy 👍
Always looks a fun event and I keep meaning to go but will have to miss out again the year

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How did it go? Hope the weather wasn't too bad?

I had a blast. Even though I had a media (all area) pass and my brief was to get some quick tow minute chats with the celebrities on the day about their golf and what they were up to, there was enough time to get out onto the course and see a load of the action. What a great little course. So hard with the greens so small and running so fast. I'd have gone even without the media access and regardless of whether I get this again next year I'm going in 2019 and will probably do a couple of days.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a blast. Even though I had a media (all area) pass and my brief was to get some quick tow minute chats with the celebrities on the day about their golf and what they were up to, there was enough time to get out onto the course and see a load of the action. What a great little course. So hard with the greens so small and running so fast. I'd have gone even without the media access and regardless of whether I get this again next year I'm going in 2019 and will probably do a couple of days.

Saw your interviews,shame on your brief as the same questions got a bit tedious.

Would have liked to see a bit more variety.
Well done though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saw your interviews,shame on your brief as the same questions got a bit tedious.

Would have liked to see a bit more variety.
Well done though.

Bit difficult when you only have 2-3 minutes and usually trying to grab someone amidst a flurry of other media interest. Thought the questions were relevant - how you playing/first time here and what are you up to at the moment. Also with the likes of Kenny Burns/Don Goodman etc relevant to ask how they think their old clubs would do. It was my first time working with Golfhacker and so had to abide by their rules and those of the organisers on who I could/couldn't speak to, where and what was allowed and not.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
my brief was to get some quick tow minute chats with the celebrities

Ha think you've already spent too long up here if you're picking up a west mids accent
:rofl:

Pleased you enjoyed it, caught bits on social media - looked good.

Agree it is a fun little course, not as easy as the yardages suggest!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bit difficult when you only have 2-3 minutes and usually trying to grab someone amidst a flurry of other media interest. Thought the questions were relevant - how you playing/first time here and what are you up to at the moment. Also with the likes of Kenny Burns/Don Goodman etc relevant to ask how they think their old clubs would do. It was my first time working with Golfhacker and so had to abide by their rules and those of the organisers on who I could/couldn't speak to, where and what was allowed and not.

There's only so much you can ask that's relevant!

Hey, saw that chap (the one who maps the course with his Caddy?) off the Trilby Tour & You Tube interviewing for Eleven Sports at the USPGA - shows there must be opportunities in the media! (thought he was poor btw)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

As I said you followed the brief.
For the viewer though?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As I said you followed the brief.
For the viewer though?

I agree with you. My mate William Murfitt was up there all week and working with Sophie Walker and bringing out some footage on his youtube channel which is better because a) he was with a known golfing media personality doing a lot of the talking, and b) he had the time to get to know each celebrity over the course of the week and get more time/access

For me it was a case of doing what I was asked and sticking to the brief. There were a lot of nerves on my part, snatched moments with the celebrities and a case of getting them, asking what I was thought were the right questions and let them get on. Going forward there are definitely things I'd do differently. I'm hoping to be up there with Team Golfhacker for the whole week and so will use Sophie's skills for my own filming needs and hopefully will have shown the editor there's talent in there. Either way, press pass or not I'm definitely going again.

It's like anything and will only get better the more I do it (so essentially time I upped my game on my channel for the normal content!) and I hope to be doing some stuff at the European Senior Masters at the Forest of Arden in October. Far different event and so filming requirements will be limited and more strictly monitored and access harder to get. At the moment the youtube channel and the work I'm doing with Golfhacker are opening a few doors. As you point out though, it needs to be more interesting for the viewer and it's something I'll speak to the editor about. Thanks for the feedback

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hope to be doing some stuff at the European Senior Masters at the Forest of Arden in October. Far different event and so filming requirements will be limited and more strictly monitored and access harder to get.
I did a bit of marshalling at that last year (never again!) and have to say the majority were miserable old b*ggers (luckily there were some exceptions!)
Wish you well with it, might be a challenge 👍