Brexit - or Article 50: the Phoenix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems team tory are big on honouring the referendum but remain piss poor on honouring any manifesto promises...
? And how long has this new Government been in office? I tend to remember Boris getting a lot of stick from our lefties regarding him not getting any of his policies voted in the house. Seems to be doing better all of a sudden

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lets not
Yes, the clue is in the name.
Then I'm afraid to say you're in for a bit of a shock. For starters, after 31st Jan we will still be in the Single Market and Customs Union. "Brexit" won't actually happen until Dec 2020 and due to the incredibly short time frame I suspect we'll be going out with a "no deal".

After the negotiations are finished and signatures are on paper, only then will businesses be able to start making changes to their computer systems so as to comply with the new regulations - which will apply to all those sectors where frictionless trade is not the result.

It was in order to allow companies to make those changes that the original 'transition period' of 2 years was included in the plans. We've now got 11 months to complete the negotiations and to get those changes made.

Lunacy.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is there a chance that the passing of the Withdrawal Agreement and the significance of the ‘leaving’ on 31st January happening might just spur everyone including the EU to take things seriously and hasten the main points to a position of agreement by December 2020 ? After all ’No Deal’ isn‘t something the EU want is it ? Or don’t they care either way ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is there a chance that the passing of the Withdrawal Agreement and the significance of the ‘leaving’ on 31st January happening might just spur everyone including the EU to take things seriously and hasten the main points to a position of agreement by December 2020 ? After all ’No Deal’ isn‘t something the EU want is it ? Or don’t they care either way ?

That might have been right 3 years ago and may still be so but the EU's economics has changed dramatically with Germany's manufacturing tanking and Italy, Poland, Spain and others disliking the Brussels new budget plans and dictats. They should want a sensible deal but I'm not sure Barnier et al care about anything other than losing face.

Status
Not open for further replies.