Brexit - or Article 50: the Phoenix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My post questioned your attitude about bumps in the road following Brexit and your " I'm alright Jack" attitude. I am pretty certain from your self congratulatory, even conceited, posts that you will be well insulated from any adverse effects. If you are going to hold such selfish views you should at least have the courage to defend them.
So you think I am not entitled to an opinion due to my personal circumstances of which you know nothing. That's a rather closed and prejudiced view, you make a number of accusations that are not worthy of a reply.

If you want a grown up discussion then drop the immature attitude and you may get a responce. Would you use this language face to face, I somehow doubt it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
my mate is in Malmesbury.... they are still recruiting heavily...
As far as I understand it... R&D is based in UK; Manufacturing is based in Asia. Pretty simple really. And not really anything to do with Brexit - except for Dyson's loud views on the subject!

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe implicitly in your right to an opinion.You opined that you are content for your fellow citizens to risk a heavy price for your Brexit project, even the loss of a job. I think that this is arrogant and irresponsible especially when you yourself have revealed in earlier posts how economically impervious you will be to any downside. I invited you to defend your position,your inability to compose a coherent response tells its own story.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I believe implicitly in your right to an opinion.You opined that you are content for your fellow citizens to risk a heavy price for your Brexit project, even the loss of a job. I think that this is arrogant and irresponsible especially when you yourself have revealed in earlier posts how economically impervious you will be to any downside. I invited you to defend your position,your inability to compose a coherent response tells its own story.
I assume this was addressed to me although it doesnt say so.

Where exactly did I reveal how economically impervious I will be to any downside or take pleasure in fellow citizens to lose jobs. You appear to be forming an opinion based on personal prejudices rather than fact which is not a good foundation for debate.

When I give my opinion on a subject then it is my considered view, I do not need to defend it to you or anyone, you can challenge it if you wish but it would be better if your challenge gave a contrary view rather than relying on some personal insults and slight of character.

Since you have not attempted to read through my posts and understand my viewpoint correctly then I feel under no obligation to reiterate it. However a quick precey is that my preference is for a free trade agreement with the EU which would solve the Irish border issue, a payment that covered our reasonable ongoing obligations and full cooperation on security and technology. I do not want a second referendum or to stay a member of the EU, I believe we must carry out the will of the democratic vote. Failing this my next option is to leave without a formal exit agreement and then negotiate a series of mutually beneficial agreements where possible. I do not advocate anyone losing their jobs but understand the reality of business and change. It may well be that some people will lose jobs, that happens every day and for a mirriad of reasons, just like new jobs are created every day for a mirriad of reasons, the world keeps turning and day follows night.

So, that's my condensed opinion, if you dislike it then I cant help that and unless you wish to engage in a grown up debate on the issues rather than your previous onslaught then I have nothing more to discuss with you.

Good day.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I see that Barnier has now said he wants the UK to say what sort of future relationship it wants with the EU. Strange, 2 years ago he said the future 'deal' could not be on the table until the UK had left.

It must be easy being French and have principles: but if you don't like those they'll find some others.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is it a tax move then or is it about making it easier to set up factories in Singapore? I know in some Far Eastern countries they will look more kindly, or it's the law, upon a business if they move key aspects out there. As Dyson are mfr out in Singapore now this move, practically a paper move if only 2 people are going, may be along those lines.

Dyson's Chief Exec has said it will make negligible difference to there tax bill as they pay all the required taxes in each country they operate in, £95m in the UK in the last tax year.

Bearing in mind Dyson are in the middle of a £200m investment programme at a new manufacturing site(Hullavington airfield??) in the UK I hardly think Dyson is leaving the UK. People making mischief, and more project fear?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dyson's Chief Exec has said it will make negligible difference to there tax bill as they pay all the required taxes in each country they operate in, £95m in the UK in the last tax year.

Bearing in mind Dyson are in the middle of a £200m investment programme at a new manufacturing site(Hullavington airfield??) in the UK I hardly think Dyson is leaving the UK. People making mischief, and more project fear?
Hullavington Airfield is an old RAF base that has been used by the Army for many years. Its located between Malmesbury and Chippenham in North Wiltshire, a few miles down the road from My Wife's family . Dyson has created a fantastic new research centre there to train undergraduate engineers and research new battery technology.

U

User62651

Makes uncomfortable viewing for remainers. Doesn’t it?
No not really, Cameron had his input and walked away. 2.5 years later his mess is yet to be untangled. Shocking legacy as PM - austerity and brexit. Brexit is the result of his gambling for personal and party gain gone wrong.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No not really, Cameron had his input and walked away. 2.5 years later his mess is yet to be untangled. Shocking legacy as PM - austerity and brexit. Brexit is the result of his gambling for personal and party gain gone wrong.

I agree but, equally, all those Remainers who still repeat the mantra, "£350m on the side of the bus" are just as guilty then. People can't have it both ways can they?

D

Deleted member 15344

We need to keep watching this to remember what was said and promised.

He isn’t relevant anymore - he quit, walked away , he gave promises that he can’t keep - not the first politician and won’t be the last , i suspect many politician has stood up and made promises but not many go through with them , if he wanted to carry out on his promise he should have stayed in charge but he left - prob because he new how much of a mare it will be

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He isn’t relevant anymore - he quit, walked away , he gave promises that he can’t keep - not the first politician and won’t be the last , i suspect many politician has stood up and made promises but not many go through with them , if he wanted to carry out on his promise he should have stayed in charge but he left - prob because he new how much of a mare it will be
What's that got to do with it. He was the Prime Minister when we had the referendum and these were the promises made to us that allowed us to make up our mind. Tony Blair is no longer Prime Minister so can we rip up the Good Friday Agreement.
He left because he is a Remainer and can't stomache the reality that the majority voted leave, just like a mass of Remainers looking to overturn democracy.

D

Deleted member 15344

What's that got to do with it. He was the Prime Minister when we had the referendum and these were the promises made to us that allowed us to make up our mind. Tony Blair is no longer Prime Minister so can we rip up the Good Friday Agreement.
He left because he is a Remainer and can't stomache the reality that the majority voted leave, just like a mass of Remainers looking to overturn democracy.

Are you really trying to compare and agreement written down in paper and signed by multiple political figures to one person making a vocal promise which has no legal standpoint ?

Many PM’s or leader make promises in speech’s when looking for a vote - how many actually get carried out
It’s a speech made by someone who has no say anymore

Remember there was a speech that also said that for Scotland the way for them to be in the EU was staying as part of the UK - what’s happening with that then

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

He isn't relevant but what he said is. One of the greatest voting choices made by millions of people was made on the back of what he said, just as many were persuaded by Farage and Johnson. Whether he meant it or not, whether he was posturing or not... the 'contract' he made with the electorate is very relevant.

Circumstances have moved on but millions of people are still holding onto his words. Until they can be persuaded either way by new 'promises' his words remain relevant.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No thanks, why should anyone listen to that tool in 2019? Things have moved on, keep up (to coin one of your favourite expressions).
Because he was PM at the time and devolved the decision to the general public. See, I managed that without a rude comment. Try it.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He isn't relevant but what he said is. One of the greatest voting choices made by millions of people was made on the back of what he said, just as many were persuaded by Farage and Johnson. Whether he meant it or not, whether he was posturing or not... the 'contract' he made with the electorate is very relevant.

Circumstances have moved on but millions of people are still holding onto his words. Until they can be persuaded either way by new 'promises' his words remain relevant.

Wasn't it also mentioned in the leaflet that was posted through every door in the UK, at great expense to the tax payer?

Status
Not open for further replies.