Biggest distance increase you've had

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I probably have different goals in golf than the vast majority on here and if I hit it 240 I'd get nowhere. 240 is short off the tee, that's a 2 rescue for me.

Another interesting observation if I may.
In the US, most if not all players use the term "hybrid" as "Rescue" is a TaylorMade brand name.
Yet other English speaking people like Australians, South Africans, and even, to a lesser extent, neighboring Canadians, refer to all hybrids as "rescues."
The hybrid golf club, unlike woods and irons and putters, is an American invention; yet we appear to be in the English speaking world's minority as to what we call it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It is if you wish to play off the back tees, with people who do or comps that do. So yes if you play from those kind of tees/people then you are below average.

If you are a weekend player, swinging at the average 85-95mph with a driver, then 240 is not short and above average.

Is that a suitable, politicians answer to be polite and not to take sides :D;)

if you are talking about elite comps you may be right but we are all handicap golfers on here and not elite plus figure golfers they make up 1% if not less of golfers in the UK.. or the world for that matter...

FYI you would not make a very good Politician if that was your attempt at not taking sides:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Another interesting observation if I may.
In the US, most if not all players use the term "hybrid" as "Rescue" is a TaylorMade brand name.
Yet other English speaking people like Australians, South Africans, and even, to a lesser extent, neighboring Canadians, refer to all hybrids as "rescues."
The hybrid golf club, unlike woods and irons and putters, is an American invention; yet we appear to be in the English speaking world's minority as to what we call it.

Interested as to what you'd call the original hybrid and what date it appeared?

Springveldt

Visit site
I probably have different goals in golf than the vast majority on here and if I hit it 240 I'd get nowhere. 240 is short off the tee, that's a 2 rescue for me. I'd agree its above the average distance for a recreational golfer but in the grand scheme of things its below average
I'd have though most here have the same goal, to get their handicap as low as possible. You trying to go pro and win the Open or something?

I actually agree that distance is very, very important.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Interested as to what you'd call the original hybrid and what date it appeared?

There's no real hard and fast definition to identify the original hybrid, although the first one that I remember was the Lynx "Claw" in the late 70s Predator line.
There were lots of specialty high loft fairway woods with specially contoured soles, but they were woods, not hybrids.

The first Rescue, however, was the TaylorMade FireSole Rescue which came out toward the end of the 20th Century. Without spending time on research, I'm going to guess 1998 or 1999.
It had a narrow titanium head, unlike most modern hybrids, and was painted a copper orange color. Even though it didn't get great reviews, manufacturers saw the possibilities in the new genre and joined TaylorMade in making hybrid models.

Non-American English speaking golf commentators on television called all of them "rescues," even though Rescue was / is a TaylorMade-owned name for golf clubs..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's no real hard and fast definition to identify the original hybrid, although the first one that I remember was the Lynx "Claw" in the late 70s Predator line.
There were lots of specialty high loft fairway woods with specially contoured soles, but they were woods, not hybrids.

The first Rescue, however, was the TaylorMade FireSole Rescue which came out toward the end of the 20th Century. Without spending time on research, I'm going to guess 1998 or 1999.
It had a narrow titanium head, unlike most modern hybrids, and was painted a copper orange color. Even though it didn't get great reviews, manufacturers saw the possibilities in the new genre and joined TaylorMade in making hybrid models.

Non-American English speaking golf commentators on television called all of them "rescues," even though Rescue was / is a TaylorMade-owned name for golf clubs..
We do the same with 'hoovers'. I have never called one a rescue though. They have always been hybrids to me.

Edit: The name rescue doesn't make sense to me anyway, that implies that you'd only hit it out of the rough. If you're hitting one off the tee what is it rescuing you from??

Wolf

Visit site
We do the same with 'hoovers'. I have never called one a rescue though. They have always been hybrids to me.

Edit: The name rescue doesn't make sense to me anyway, that implies that you'd only hit it out of the rough. If you're hitting one off the tee what is it rescuing you from??
That's exactly why they designed it and named it a rescue wood as was designed to be hit out of the rough/crappy lies where a long iron would be a struggle..

But as found they were easier to hit everywhere so they have now long been replacing long irons rather thab being an additional club you'd find a space for

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's exactly why they designed it and named it a rescue wood as was designed to be hit out of the rough/crappy lies where a long iron would be a struggle..

But as found they were easier to hit everywhere so they have now long been replacing long irons rather thab being an additional club you'd find a space for
Yeah, it just sounds silly when someone says they found the green with their rescue - oh you rescued yourself from that horrible perfect lie in the middle of the fairway, well done. :LOL:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd have though most here have the same goal, to get their handicap as low as possible. You trying to go pro and win the Open or something?

I actually agree that distance is very, very important.
I have my sights set on the amateur championships, playing professionally is not an immediate goal I have but if I do well in certain things then I would probably go that route. I've never been interested in being a PGA pro so unless I had opportunities to play it wouldn't be a route I'd go down

Chico84

Visit site
After having a lesson today I hit my 6 iron 230 yards when I’d normally hit it 180. That was one shot that was pretty much perfect but I had a few other shots get close to that too. I also put 50 yards extra carry on my driver. This has all come from improving my body rotation on both the backswing and through impact. As a beginner I’d expect my gains to be pretty large at present but suspect any future gains won’t be as big. I just need to be more consistent in my ball striking now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
After having a lesson today I hit my 6 iron 230 yards when I’d normally hit it 180. That was one shot that was pretty much perfect but I had a few other shots get close to that too. I also put 50 yards extra carry on my driver. This has all come from improving my body rotation on both the backswing and through impact. As a beginner I’d expect my gains to be pretty large at present but suspect any future gains won’t be as big. I just need to be more consistent in my ball striking now.

Very impressive, congrats (I'd be delighted if I could manage the 180 but alas its not to be) keep at it cos its working for you

If you'll take a tip from someone who cant ever hope to hit it that far & even without your distance gain, the next time you play just take that 6i, a pitching wedge and a putter. I feel confident in predicting you'll shatter your typical 119 strokes round a course of that length and probably dip well into double figures for the round (y)
good luck

Chico84

Visit site
Very impressive, congrats (I'd be delighted if I could manage the 180 but alas its not to be) keep at it cos its working for you

If you'll take a tip from someone who cant ever hope to hit it that far & even without your distance gain, the next time you play just take that 6i, a pitching wedge and a putter. I feel confident in predicting you'll shatter your typical 119 strokes round a course of that length and probably dip well into double figures for the round (y)
good luck

Thanks Slab. It is nice to know it is possible but my problem (well one of them!) is actually hitting the ball well each time. When I connect we’ll the ball goes a long way but the card killer for me is when I lose concentration or the lie is a bit awkward and I’m not used to dealing with it.

I will give the three club tip a go at some point for sure.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thanks Slab. It is nice to know it is possible but my problem (well one of them!) is actually hitting the ball well each time. When I connect we’ll the ball goes a long way but the card killer for me is when I lose concentration or the lie is a bit awkward and I’m not used to dealing with it.

I will give the three club tip a go at some point for sure.

The fastest way to get consistency is just to hit one club all the time (your 6I or whichever you want) then add in the other dozen one club at a time ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Are you sure about these distances?

You do know you are now longer than rory mcilroy?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have my sights set on the amateur championships, playing professionally is not an immediate goal I have but if I do well in certain things then I would probably go that route. I've never been interested in being a PGA pro so unless I had opportunities to play it wouldn't be a route I'd go down

are you planning on playing the Am at Nairn next year?

i 'll come and watch you and see how its done

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having read through this thread, I think really almost everyone agrees, distance is important to be able to shoot low on championship courses and play at the highest level. The big gap is that even a short hitting pro or top am is likely longer than 90% of golfers in the general population, below average for these guys is still way above average for the general golfing population.

The above in mind, improving distance is still a worthy goal for everyone, and gains can be made, but just like we wouldn't expect many people would become as fast as Usain Bolt or as Strong as Eddie Hall if they trained (they would get faster and stronger than their baseline though), it's unrealistic to expect the same of most golfer.

carldudley

Visit site
Wouldn't have been able to contribute to this until last night. I've been playing circa 12 months.

Started with a coach (March '19) and when I didn't slice my driver i was carrying 175-180 (roll out 200yds ish).

Last night (new coach), had me carrying 200yds consistently. Means I have a bit of an odd setup having my club 3/4 inches behind the ball at setup, but it's working. Couple of bad shots now and again when I forget to turn my body, but there's some consistency there.

Only 3rd lesson with this coach and he's got me hitting much better, stick with it - i can probably claim a 20-30 yard increase in distance.

Springveldt

Visit site
230 yard 6 iron and a beginner? Maybe long driver should be your game since you need to swing a 6 iron around 110mph to get that kind of distance.

Those are Jamie Sadlowski kinds of distances.