Biggest distance increase you've had

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Decades ago, the change from pure blades and a wound ball to cavity backs and an unwound ball made a dramatic difference--up to two full clubs--in the distance that I hit iron shots.
Nothing since that change has impacted shot length remotely to that extent.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry, what's the myth?
Pretty much guys think that guys who hit it easy and are short are straighter. Well the reality is if you only hit a driver 240 then your offline shots dont travel as far and thus will be less offline. the quicker guys who learn course management will on tighter holes just hit a rescue or 2 iron 240. These clubs have shorter shafts and more loft than a driver therefore it's harder to tilt the spin axis and hit them as offline as it is a driver, that is a fact. now most people would rather use the course moursement and retain the ability to hit it 290 or whatever when they need to

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty much guys think that guys who hit it easy and are short are straighter. Well the reality is if you only hit a driver 240 then your offline shots dont travel as far and thus will be less offline. the quicker guys who learn course management will on tighter holes just hit a rescue or 2 iron 240. These clubs have shorter shafts and more loft than a driver therefore it's harder to tilt the spin axis and hit them as offline as it is a driver, that is a fact. now most people would rather use the course moursement and retain the ability to hit it 290 or whatever when they need to

Ah right I see. Didn't know that.

I suppose I didn't believe that easy shots were necessarily shorter and straighter, I just meant that distance isn't necessarily the be all and end all

D

Deleted member 21258

The distances referenced in the above posts do not seem realistic for the vast majority of recreational players.

They are in yards as UK base, maybe that's the difference. Also middle aged(cough cough just) or younger.:LOL:

That's interesting, i normally find it to be the complete opposite. On all sims i normally hit it further. Would be hitting a 6 iron about 185 on the sim and would be my 170 club outdoors.

Normally due to the fact the roll is less and being a bit more protective over your swing with the fear of losing a ball etc.

We only pay attention to the carry numbers, as roll out can vary depending on the course being played/rough etc. For info, just looked on one of the trackman reports at total distance and it shows normal roll out normally round 4-8 yards extra on carry distance.

Do you not find that swinging indoors, feels restrictive ? Indoors I almost have a 3/4 cut off follow though due to it.:unsure:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you make it sound as though 240 is short... av distance in the UK is about 200... on here of course 300 is short;)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Had a lesson with the pro at Dewsbury District in the 90's, he changed a few things in my swing that felt awkward but I stuck with them and worked on getting everything to work together.

Went out on my own one day and by the 5th hole everything was clicking into place. Got on the 10th tee (485 yards) and hit a driver and 5 iron through the back of the green. Normally I'd hit a driver, 5 iron and a wedge to get there. I actually drove into the pair infront - I was hitting the ball way further than I thought I was capable of.

It was a temporary improvement sadly, and I never hit the ball like that again on a consistent basis.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
you make it sound as though 240 is short... av distance in the UK is about 200... on here of course 300 is short;)
Go and play championship courses off the back tees, 240 is short. Play a couple of scratch comps round royal troon off the tiger tees each year and about two thirds of the field dont have a chance simply because of length.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They are in yards as UK base, maybe that's the difference. Also middle aged(cough cough just) or younger.:LOL:

We only pay attention to the carry numbers, as roll out can vary depending on the course being played/rough etc. For info, just looked on one of the trackman reports at total distance and it shows normal roll out normally round 4-8 yards extra on carry distance.

Do you not find that swinging indoors, feels restrictive ? Indoors I almost have a 3/4 cut off follow though due to it.:unsure:

I do understand where you are coming from - took me a while to trust it and really open up, especially with the driver.

But now I find that irons do go a good bit further. I have use of 2 different trackmans and 2 SkyTraks and find the same on both, I always need to club down on them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Go and play championship courses off the back tees, 240 is short. Play a couple of scratch comps round royal troon off the tiger tees each year and about two thirds of the field dont have a chance simply because of length.

whats that then less than 1% of golfers in the UK, great if you are hitting it 300, but that distance is the exception rather than the rule

if you are an elite player 240 might be short, but as UK golfers go its way above average

played quite a few off theback tee's thanks but what that got to do with anything?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
At least 10 yards through practice and improved technique. Happened around 2013/14 when I got down to 11 and started to shoot in the 70s.
Lost it and then some now I’m way out of practice.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I must be the only sucker that's never had a magic 10/20 yard increase in distance.

I've obviously improved as a golfer over the years but never seemed to have one day woken up and hit the ball a lot further.

Woe is me :(

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I honestly don't know if my driver distances have got more or less. I tee off and if I'm on the fairway I'm more than happy. I then check the distance to the flag and pull whatever club will hopefully get me there.

Visit site
Yep lessons have helped in getting rid of bad habits that had a detrimental affect on my consistency on ball striking. I'm seeing a more penetrating flight with more energy coming off the club face but also I took a chance on some new shafts that have made an immense difference in distances. So a combination of both really.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
whats that then less than 1% of golfers in the UK, great if you are hitting it 300, but that distance is the exception rather than the rule

if you are an elite player 240 might be short, but as UK golfers go its way above average

played quite a few off theback tee's thanks but what that got to do with anything?
I probably have different goals in golf than the vast majority on here and if I hit it 240 I'd get nowhere. 240 is short off the tee, that's a 2 rescue for me. I'd agree its above the average distance for a recreational golfer but in the grand scheme of things its below average

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I probably have different goals in golf than the vast majority on here and if I hit it 240 I'd get nowhere. 240 is short off the tee, that's a 2 rescue for me. I'd agree its above the average distance for a recreational golfer but in the grand scheme of things its below average

Post of the year.

D

Deleted member 15344

The only thing that bothers me is the score at the end of the day - im not a short hitter or a long hitter when we are looking at your average club golfer. I have gained yards through the years but not huge amounts so maybe around 250/60 off the tee but I seem to find the fairway most days and then seem to plod along getting decent scores. I know plenty of people who hit it far further than me - but then a lot of times it’s further in the rubbish and wide of the green etc

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been looking into new clubs and ping i210s or i500s are possible. But the yardages shown in Golf Monthly tests for a 7i of either is daft yardage compared with what I currently work to - so typically 180yds to my 150yds. hmm. I’m thinking I don’t hit my 7i very far - or its pro yardages with the tests. Or maybe just buying either I’ll get 25-30yds ore on my 7i shots ?

And once lessons sort my swing out I’ll get more? Or just be able to get that 180yd. But am I that bothered...dunno.