Biggest distance increase you've had

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see your a member of loudon, come down to barassie and we will play off the blue tree's. We would soon see whats important and what's not ?

Anytime- I'd shoot 110 and have a great time as I love playing Barassie. That's what's important to me.

We've got plenty of trees at Loudoun. Not blue ones though :p

In seriousness, your point is absolutely valid- to be properly good, you need to smack the ball a long way. That's not up for debate. I suppose my cheeky comment was due to the '240 is short' comment- most of us would love to hit 240 with a driver, never mind a hybrid. Sometimes a little modesty goes a long way...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anytime- I'd shoot 110 and have a great time as I love playing Barassie. That's what's important to me.

We've got plenty of trees at Loudoun. Not blue ones though :p

In seriousness, your point is absolutely valid- to be properly good, you need to smack the ball a long way. That's not up for debate. I suppose my cheeky comment was due to the '240 is short' comment- most of us would love to hit 240 with a driver, never mind a hybrid. Sometimes a little modesty goes a long way...

Dave as the average handicap is between 16 and 20 i found this from GMAverage driving distance.png

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Dave as the average handicap is between 16 and 20 i found this from GMView attachment 29061

That's really interesting. I started playing a lot again last year and had a few lessons and got my driving sorted. I feel that has been a big contributor to handicap gains, getting down from 24 to 18. Given my distance - on average probably nearer the 215 mark (accounting for poor hits, not just good ones) I felt there was plenty more to get out of my scoring, in terms of tidying up around the greens and cutting out silly errors leading to worse than bogey. I guess this backs that up.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's really interesting. I started playing a lot again last year and had a few lessons and got my driving sorted. I feel that has been a big contributor to handicap gains, getting down from 24 to 18. Given my distance - on average probably nearer the 215 mark (accounting for poor hits, not just good ones) I felt there was plenty more to get out of my scoring, in terms of tidying up around the greens and cutting out silly errors leading to worse than bogey. I guess this backs that up.
theres more than one way to skin a cat... i play with a guy who is almost 70 has never been over a 3 handicap since he was a teenager, he hits it 220 at best. he was scratch most of his best years and has won multiple Club champs. he plays at Nairn Dunbar 6765 off the whites tee, quite a few holes he can't reach in two... still off 3 though plays all the medals

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
theres more than one way to skin a cat... i play with a guy who is almost 70 has never been over a 3 handicap since he was a teenager, he hits it 220 at best. he was scratch most of his best years and has won multiple Club champs. he plays at Nairn Dunbar 6765 off the whites tee, quite a few holes he can't reach in two... still off 3 though plays all the medals

I'd love to watch that guy operate.

If there was ever a brilliant Vlog waiting for those youtubers it would be following a guy like this around the course.

You hear stories about these guys. I've yet to play with one.

Never mind 300yard bombs. I want to see the short hitting scratch man.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd love to watch that guy operate.

If there was ever a brilliant Vlog waiting for those youtubers it would be following a guy like this around the course.

You hear stories about these guys. I've yet to play with one.

Never mind 300yard bombs. I want to see the short hitting scratch man.
he's off 3 now, but still pretty good, his bag is now hybrid fest and i think he said on Sat his longest iron now is a 6.

never ever missed a fairway and deadly from inside 10 feet just about sums it up

D

Deleted member 21258

I never understand why so many on this forum, react when distance is mentioned. :confused:

Distance is what gives the potential of going really low easily. (clearly with tied in with dispersion)

Hitting it 210-220 carry off a tee and a 7 iron 140 yards, is for almost everyone, apart from short games wizards, mean you are not going to get super low.

If you play off back tees at quite a number of clubs, there are carries over rough/heather etc, greater than that and they become unplayable even for short game wizards.

Parsaregood, has the mantra right, if you want to get low hit it long/very good distance and the circles he plays in, he needs to, or he would need to change his circles.

What this has all got to do with the OP and distance improvement via lessons, I haven't got the foggiest :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Yeh - there's a guy at our club similar. 3 handicap and same kind of distance off the tee (but accurate). And cleans up around the greens.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I never understand why so many on this forum, react when distance is mentioned. :confused:

Distance is what gives the potential of going really low easily. (clearly with tied in with dispersion)

Hitting it 210-220 carry off a tee and a 7 iron 140 yards, is for almost everyone, apart from short games wizards, mean you are not going to get super low.

If you play off back tees at quite a number of clubs, there are carries over rough/heather etc, greater than that and they become unplayable even for short game wizards.

Parsaregood, has the mantra right, if you want to get low hit it long/very good distance and the circles he plays in, he needs to, or he would need to change his circles.

What this has all got to do with the OP and distance improvement via lessons, I haven't got the foggiest :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
so you think 240 is short and below average too?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
he's off 3 now, but still pretty good, his bag is now hybrid fest and i think he said on Sat his longest iron now is a 6.

never ever missed a fairway and deadly from inside 10 feet just about sums it up
We have a fella like this. Well into his late 70s - maybe early 80s. Off 10.6. Been a member for ever. His name is liberally scattered all over our major competition boards for decades back. Go out with him and he just tidily and steadily knocks it round without any fuss whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 21258

so you think 240 is short and below average too?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It is if you wish to play off the back tees, with people who do or comps that do. So yes if you play from those kind of tees/people then you are below average.

If you are a weekend player, swinging at the average 85-95mph with a driver, then 240 is not short and above average.

Is that a suitable, politicians answer to be polite and not to take sides :D;)

sunshine

Visit site
Go to any scratch county competition, 90% of the field will be carrying it over 240. Its certainly below average in these environments

Probably worth qualifying your point by saying below average for a scratch golfer :LOL:

It's also well below average for the field at a WGC or major...

I'm sure I read somewhere that only 20% of all golfers are able to break 90 (i.e. play bogey golf). The majority of golfers are chopping it around in 100+ strokes so this is where you need to base your averages.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Go to any scratch county competition, 90% of the field will be carrying it over 240. Its certainly below average in these environments

no one said it wasn't for Scratch or elite players but they only make a a tiny percentage of golfers
99% golfers will never play one of those and neither will i as we just don't have many if any scratch comps up here, unless you are playing in an elite comp like the David Blair, or the Northern Open, which i wouldn't qaulify for anyway as my handicap is way to high at 5.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was paired with a 14 year old boy in an open competition two years ago, he was off 0.2 at the time. Hit his driver about 180/190 max and it ran out to about 210 max.

The wee blighter would then knock hybrids and long irons closer than my 6/7 irons!! It was an absolute joy to watch.

Yes he'll get bigger and stronger but it shows it's not just about distance, talent plays a rather large part in golf as does playing to your strengths.