Biggest distance increase you've had

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what the biggest increase in distance anybody has ever gained on here from a change of swing/lessons?

Reason being, myself and I'm certain a lot of other people get the odd increase as you slowly improve, but my current pro believes I've got room for a huge improvement in distance and that's what we're working on.
He hasn't and won't put a number on it, but said it will be significant.
I have no reason not to believe it as he has been my best teacher I've had so far by a long way, but I'm wondering, is there anybody out there who got a majorly significant increase in distance and if so, what caused it and how many yards extra did you get?

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Got fitted last year for new irons as I was struggling with my old Hippo Beasts and wanted to try graphite shafts due to a recently diagnosed condition.
Was hitting the 7 iron 129 yards thanks to said condition, fitted for Srixon Z155 reg graphite (end of line stock) and was hitting 150 yards again. Cant see me going back to steel shafts now.

D

Deleted member 21258

Son is currently going though some big swing changes(hand path, leg action, club path, hip movement and weight movement, lesson 1 and has hits masses of balls since the first lesson 3 weeks ago), he has already picked up a good 10 yards on a 7 iron distance from improving his hand and club path on the downswing. Swingspeed the same btw.

Think 165/170 yards carry for the club has been kick around as kind of expected results in the next 3 weeks. He used to hit on average carrywise 140-5 on a monitor, is currently at 155 yards on the monitor. (add another 5 yards for real life)

2nd lesson yesterday, they have now moved onto his flicking, lag and presenting too much loft at impact, which is likely to see an increase I think of 5ish yards, with the same 7 iron club.

The pro has also mentioned that he reckons with the better lag position, that they are now working on( looks like a late float loading move), he expects swing speed to naturally increase by 3-4 mph, without swinging harder, so maybe yet yardage.

So it is certainly possible, last week he was hitting one less club than me to greens(used to be the same), for a very similar 7 iron swingspeed.

Its interesting to see the results so far and hope it works out for you.

Wolf

Visit site
Depends on whether im using my car or the Mrs one for my mpg and travel distance... Oh wait you meant how far can i hit it..

No idea i focus more on how many fairways i hit and how close i can get to flag with my approach shots. Distance wise im way down on forum length im more LPGA distances and long drive championship compared to what some quote on here...

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started to "pure" the ball more after lessons so I guess I had a net yardage gain but nothing major on single shots. Like a few have said, keeping it in play is the key, of rather be 20 yards back with a shot than further up but hitting it sideways out of the trees.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Son is currently going though some big swing changes(hand path, leg action, club path, hip movement and weight movement, lesson 1 and has hits masses of balls since the first lesson 3 weeks ago), he has already picked up a good 10 yards on a 7 iron distance from improving his hand and club path on the downswing. Swingspeed the same btw.

Think 165/170 yards carry for the club has been kick around as kind of expected results in the next 3 weeks. He used to hit on average carrywise 140-5 on a monitor, is currently at 155 yards on the monitor. (add another 5 yards for real life)

2nd lesson yesterday, they have now moved onto his flicking, lag and presenting too much loft at impact, which is likely to see an increase I think of 5ish yards, with the same 7 iron club.

The pro has also mentioned that he reckons with the better lag position, that they are now working on( looks like a late float loading move), he expects swing speed to naturally increase by 3-4 mph, without swinging harder, so maybe yet yardage.

So it is certainly possible, last week he was hitting one less club than me to greens(used to be the same), for a very similar 7 iron swingspeed.

Cheers DRW. Good work from your son and interesting.

Forgot to mention in original post, I was always of the belief that my distance now will barely move (except for downwards in years to come as I get older), but I do have some pals who have had 10-20 yard sudden increases due to a change in technique.
Now I'm kind of secretly hoping for something similar and wondered how common this might be.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Out of interest.. why are you adding "5 yards for real life"?

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Just to clarify to anyone who might have misinterpreted my post - I would 100% sacrifice distance for being in play.
However, my post is just a question about distance gains :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
about 10 yards when i started to hit down on the ball with my irons... which created a bit of lag

I would love some extra distance, but at 55 i doubt that now.

Biggest improvement was accuracy, went from 6 to 4, been stuck at 6/7 for a few years with a round sweeping swing, but same swing got me from 24 to 12 in3 months so wasn't all bad

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I've no idea but I'm about a club longer than I was 10 years ago when i was 19. i think over the years through lessons etc I've just gotten incrementally better swing wise which has resulted in me compressing the ball more than i did then. I dont believe i could get much more out of what i have now without simply swinging it faster which isnt really a priority for me at the moment

D

Deleted member 21258

OP, Thought I would add to the post above, the reason he went for lessons was to improve his dispersion and consistency between rounds, increasing distance wasn't a goal or thought. As a bit of background he used to be able to have great rounds on his own(so has shot under par but equally could really hack, which for a low handicapper is poor, he was really inconsistent), put him in a comp or under pressure and he would struggle to shot low due to his downswing and dispersion/timing issues.

His dispersion looks like it is improving with the more neutral hand & club path(numbers on the monitor are showing it and on the course we are seeing it, not so many wild misses like he used to have, he could miss both ways by say 30-40 yards. Haven't play that much due to weather, so hard to judge this early). Going to be interesting to see if he gets both distance and dispersion as part of this set of lessons.

Hopefully within the next 1-2 months we will truly find out.

JV24601 assuming your numbers/delivery of the club is not good, then you will improve distance and dispersion with the right instruction and if you practise enough to bed in the moves.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Just to clarify to anyone who might have misinterpreted my post - I would 100% sacrifice distance for being in play.
However, my post is just a question about distance gains :)
This is the biggest myth in golf, if you are faster you can hit more loft out to the same distance. it's much easier to control a shorter club

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
OP, Thought I would add to the post above, the reason he went for lessons was to improve his dispersion and consistency between rounds, increasing distance wasn't a goal or thought. As a bit of background he used to be able to have great rounds on his own(so has shot under par but equally could really hack, which for a low handicapper is poor, he was really inconsistent), put him in a comp or under pressure and he would struggle to shot low due to his downswing and dispersion/timing issues.

His dispersion looks like it is improving with the more neutral hand & club path(numbers on the monitor are showing it and on the course we are seeing it, not so many wild misses like he used to have, he could miss both ways by say 30-40 yards. Haven't play that much due to weather, so hard to judge this early). Going to be interesting to see if he gets both distance and dispersion as part of this set of lessons.

Hopefully within the next 1-2 months we will truly find out.

JV24601 assuming your numbers/delivery of the club is not good, then you will improve distance and dispersion with the right instruction and if you practise enough to bed in the moves.

(y)

Makes total sense!

I was similar. Distance wasn't and still really isn't an issue for me, but apparently there's a lot of 'power leaks' in my swing, hence his opinion of me gaining much more in time.

D

Deleted member 21258

Out of interest.. why are you adding "5 yards for real life"?

Normally a couple of yards of roll out and sometimes you tend to hit the ball further on the course(I assume due to swinging more freely than when swinging inside in a smaller space), just something we have noticed.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Normally a couple of yards of roll out and sometimes you tend to hit the ball further on the course(I assume due to swinging more freely than when swinging inside in a smaller space), just something we have noticed.

That's interesting, i normally find it to be the complete opposite. On all sims i normally hit it further. Would be hitting a 6 iron about 185 on the sim and would be my 170 club outdoors.

Normally due to the fact the roll is less and being a bit more protective over your swing with the fear of losing a ball etc.