Being called a bandit

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh brilliant! One guy I was playing with said that I couldn't score on the hole because of that. It pays to know the rules I guess... :rant: :mmm:[/QUOT

Bucket

If someone tells you something that your not sure of tell them to show you the rule in the book if they cant then it's a myth.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Oh brilliant! One guy I was playing with said that I couldn't score on the hole because of that. It pays to know the rules I guess... :rant: :mmm:

I agree with Doh! - ask to see the Rule and if they can't show you, knock the putt in and sort it out afterwards before signing your card.
Mostly the word Bandit is used almost as a Term of Endearment in a jealous kind of way....
Ignore those that you think mean it.
Keep putting the cards in.

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bucket, i have just left my club because of this. I came down 5 shots last year, and they are still having a pop at any opportunity. Even when i am playing with them, you can hear them saying he's a f,in bandit. Just because they cant play to there handicap :( Hay ho, their lose.....................:)

Crikey, that's extremely unfair mate! Some people are just bitter :/

@doh; I wasn't sure of the rule to be honest, I was just shocked that it happened and the guy who told me plays off 12 so I assumed he had a decent idea of the rules... Oh well, you live and you learn.

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with Doh! - ask to see the Rule and if they can't show you, knock the putt in and sort it out afterwards before signing your card.
Mostly the word Bandit is used almost as a Term of Endearment in a jealous kind of way....

I wasn't really thinking at the time, I just thought "oh no..." And the guy told me what he told me, my other 2 playing partners went along with it assuming that as well.

Moquillo19

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A bandit (in my book) is someone who keeps his/her handicap artificialy high with the intention of winning everything. You clearly aren't one of those people.

Don't worry what people say!!!!!!!! Golf is a game for idiots (ask my other half when I go out in the cold and rain), but some are more idiotic than others. Wait until you get them in the singles matchplay and then show them the true meaning of quality golf!! Off 21 you're supposed to shoot 38,39,40,41. That's how handicaps come down! Don't let them get you down though!!!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Indeed. Keep a Rule Book in your bag and get the guy to show you the relevant rule. Do a bit of reading of it yourself too.

If the ruling isn't demonstrable, then you are entitled to announce that you are playing it the alternative way (there are normally only 2 alternatives) or even that you are playing it as if there is no penalty and will sort any penalty before signing the card. You'd be surprised how many myths there actually are!

Here's a link to the relevant section of The Rules (3.3) http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=3&subRuleNum=3

In Stableford comps, each hole is a separate entity so normally what happens on a single hole is irrelevant to the overall result. And Handicap is actually a Stableford measurement, so even in Strokeplay comps disastrous holes are only the equivalent of 0 points! So keep playing as well as you can and the handicap will tumble. The fact that you are coming down already means that you are almost certainly actually playing better than your current handicap. That's not banditry. The guys who say that is just can't play to theirs!

jason6r

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Banditry = scoring 41 points in absolutely torrential rain off a 3/4 handicap of 12 to win Round 2 of the Essex Golf Tour. Not me I hasten to add. The winner must have had an unbelievably good day given the god-awful conditions for the entire round :whistle:

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love being called a bandit, even now I still get it, and I find it really funny when I get called it by a chap that plays off 24!

Keep playing well, keep practicing and your HC will come down. Until it does take the bandit tag with a pinch of salt!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can be a bandit of 2, you can be a bandit off 22.

I would say a bandit is someone who never goes in comps, so doesn't get adjusted, and takes money off his mates every week, even though he is clearly miles better than his original handicap.

I think every club golfer should have to put at least 5 cards in a year, whether in comps, or supplementaries.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to get called a bandit quite a bit. I took it as a compliment because it meant I was improving at a decent rate. My only focus is H/C cuts. You've just got to learn to be a bit thicker skinned about it.

Birchy is spot on with what he said. I've called him a bandit quite a few times now, and he takes it as the joke that it is. He works damned hard at his game and is improving rapidly. I've no doubt that he'll be pushing the 10 H/C by the end of the year. Sometimes it's just a bit of banter.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Banditry = scoring 41 points in absolutely torrential rain off a 3/4 handicap of 12 to win Round 2 of the Essex Golf Tour. Not me I hasten to add. The winner must have had an unbelievably good day given the god-awful conditions for the entire round :whistle:

I hope he got a hefty cut

T

thecraw

Handicaps should never be higher than 18. No one should get more than a shot a hole. Handicaps above 18 are bandits who usually all deliberately keep their handicaps high then suddenly reach their peak in texas scrambles etc and walk off with the prizes.

Current handicap system is geared towards the high man.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

would that be the one (KL) that currently plays off 8.5 on another Am Tour ?

The Sclaffer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Handicaps should never be higher than 18. No one should get more than a shot a hole. Handicaps above 18 are bandits who usually all deliberately keep their handicaps high then suddenly reach their peak in texas scrambles etc and walk off with the prizes.

Current handicap system is geared towards the high man.

Controversial or what?!

You're more likely to find a true bandit on the Texas Scramble/Greensomes/Mixed Foursome circuit than in your normal Club strokeplay event.Some golfers are intent on playing only the minimum number of medal rounds in order to preserve their handicaps, yet they take great delight in picking up prizes on what I would call the novelty type of golf competitions.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Controversial or what?!

You're more likely to find a true bandit on the Texas Scramble/Greensomes/Mixed Foursome circuit than in your normal Club strokeplay event.Some golfers are intent on playing only the minimum number of medal rounds in order to preserve their handicaps, yet they take great delight in picking up prizes on what I would call the novelty type of golf competitions.

at least you are both agreeing that true bandits curretnly inhabit the nether world of N-Q events.

20 years ago they used to pop-up on Captain's Day and other presitious club events with large prize tables but nowadays the pickings are better in the above events - topped up with roll-ups and swindles at the club.

The Sclaffer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
at least you are both agreeing that true bandits curretnly inhabit the nether world of N-Q events.

20 years ago they used to pop-up on Captain's Day and other presitious club events with large prize tables but nowadays the pickings are better in the above events - topped up with roll-ups and swindles at the club.

Yip. Although it's got to be said that the handicapping formula in the Texas Scramble Events are definitely weighted heavily in favour of low handicap golfers but I guess that's a topic of discussion for another day.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always look at it in 2 different ways. There are bandits and there are improving golfers. MY mate who some of you met down at Blackmoor is a perfect example of an improving golfer. In some eyes he is a bandit, but he goes in every competition and wants to be off single figures by the end of this year.

This time last year he was playing off 25, he teed up yesterday in the first medal of he year playing off 13.8 and went out there and shot a nett 4 under, on a day when there was only 3 of us who broke our handicaps. Is he a bandit or an improving golfer?

The Sclaffer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always look at it in 2 different ways. There are bandits and there are improving golfers. MY mate who some of you met down at Blackmoor is a perfect example of an improving golfer. In some eyes he is a bandit, but he goes in every competition and wants to be off single figures by the end of this year.

This time last year he was playing off 25, he teed up yesterday in the first medal of he year playing off 13.8 and went out there and shot a nett 4 under, on a day when there was only 3 of us who broke our handicaps. Is he a bandit or an improving golfer?

No question - he's definitely an improving golfer - and improving very quickly I'd say!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
No question - he's definitely an improving golfer - and improving very quickly I'd say!

That is one way to describe him, fair enough I did walk into the clubhouse yesterday and address him as senor, but he took it in the way it was meant. I just find it amazing that someone was playing off 25 this time last year and is now wondering if he will be single figures this summer, which I will be shocked if he isn't.