Bearsted Golf Club

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take it that’s a “yes”, then. Either that or you’re actually James Jordan.

Trolling? Hardly. You started the thread, and have very firm and fixed views on what is a very emotive subject. I’m merely trying to put your comments into context by establishing how close you are to the subject matter.

Top tip. If you don’t like people holding an alternative view to yours, don’t start a thread which is likely to generate opinions which are polar opposites. And if you do start such threads, don’t then start throwing petty insults into the mix when it’s not going your way.

For the answers to all of your questions re-read the thread. Once complete, refer to post 78.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I take it that’s a “yes”, then. Either that or you’re actually James Jordan.

Trolling? Hardly. You started the thread, and have very firm and fixed views on what is a very emotive subject. I’m merely trying to put your comments into context by establishing how close you are to the subject matter.

Top tip. If you don’t like people holding an alternative view to yours, don’t start a thread which is likely to generate opinions which are polar opposites. And if you do start such threads, don’t then start throwing petty insults into the mix when it’s not going your way.

Can I add; if you are going to post and rely on links for your case, please post a link to the original article? Taking other members to task quoting articles as gospel when they clearly state they've been updated after the time of the poster's response is never going to end well.

Some might suggest it borders on trolling... :unsure:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What??? ?

Golf courses have been rammed all over the country, golf membership has surged, sales have been the highest in recent memory.
Thousands of people have been playing more than they ever have done.

The article must have been updated since this thread started, it says at the end that the fees have been refunded in full.

so the three months plus that all of us have not been able to play don’t count. Where is the relevance between golf course rammed and surging sales and not being able to play.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can I add; if you are going to post and rely on links for your case, please post a link to the original article? Taking other members to task quoting articles as gospel when they clearly state they've been updated after the time of the poster's response is never going to end well.

Some might suggest it borders on trolling... :unsure:

You got something wrong; it’s ok, don’t get bent out of shape over it.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't really have a clue what your point is, but "most people haven't been able to play golf" is just not true.

It's well under 3 months in England, 23rd March to 11th May, plus a month now.

Fact is many thousands of people have played more golf this year than they normally would due to furlough, WFH etc.

You aren’t the first or the only one.......

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't really have a clue what your point is, but "most people haven't been able to play golf" is just not true.

Fact is many thousands of people have played more golf this year than they normally would due to furlough, WFH etc.
Yep - the majority of golf clubs have seen a resurgence, many now have full memberships with clubs now having waiting lists , golfers have prob played more this year than in any other year of their golfing life - I know our membership have

In some sort of twisted way the lockdown and Covid is prob the best thing that has happened to golf since the recession. It’s been a mini golf boom which clubs are grabbing

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

If you’re going to accuse me of “sealioning”, I’ll suggest you look up the word persistent in the dictionary.

I asked a single question, which you didn’t answer, so I asked it once more. Immediately you accuse me of “sealioning”. Hardly fits the definition, does it?

Since you seem so intent on the politicians approach of referring me to your earlier comments, I’ll do likewise.

Get a grip.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

if you go back to my original post on this thread and read it, I clearly stated that everyone in the country could not play golf because of the lockdown, no one is playing golf now because of the lockdown. I also clearly said that our club is taking into account that fact when sending out green fees for members for next year Because members have missed 3 months. I said if clubs are looking at reducing fees for next year why can they not look a refunding on an individual basis.
You then went on to mention clubs are rammed. Which they are, but what’s the relevance.

Your highlighted point is a million miles from what is actually true and yet folk agree with it.
Have a nice day.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you’re going to accuse me of “sealioning”, I’ll suggest you look up the word persistent in the dictionary.

I asked a single question, which you didn’t answer, so I asked it once more. Immediately you accuse me of “sealioning”. Hardly fits the definition, does it?

Since you seem so intent on the politicians approach of referring me to your earlier comments, I’ll do likewise.

Get a grip.

You’re still doing it. Trying to take some kind of moral high ground by suggesting I have very strong views on a matter, suggesting I don’t like people taking alternate views, but actually none of that is true. Call it whatever you like; trolling, sea lioning, harassment, I don’t mind, it’s no skin off my nose.

The funny thing is, if you actually go back through the thread you will see that we didn’t even fundamentally disagree. I accept the argument that clubs can’t give refunds willy-nilly, all we disagreed on was whether it was good business sense or not to give a refund. I still think notwithstanding the precedent it could set, it would have been better just to administer the refund immediately and avoid the risk of all this, you might disagree and that’s your prerogative, I’ve never said anything to the contrary.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You’re still doing it. Trying to take some kind of moral high ground by suggesting I have very strong views on a matter, suggesting I don’t like people taking alternate views, but actually none of that is true. Call it whatever you like; trolling, sea lioning, harassment, I don’t mind, it’s no skin off my nose.

The funny thing is, if you actually go back through the thread you will see that we didn’t even fundamentally disagree. I accept the argument that clubs can’t give refunds willy-nilly, all we disagreed on was whether it was good business sense or not to give a refund. I still think notwithstanding the precedent it could set, it would have been better just to administer the refund immediately and avoid the risk of all this, you might disagree and that’s your prerogative, I’ve never said anything to the contrary.

Let’s be very clear here. My last engagement with you on this thread was way back at post #25. Our exchange ceased there. I agree, until that point we were not miles apart, and everything was perfectly cordial.

I caught up with the thread this morning and your comments to others pricked my curiosity again regarding your proximity to the subject matter, hence I asked the question again, because it had never actually been answered.

You immediately leapt down my throat before the proverbial ink was even dry on my post. I had even explained in that question why I was asking it, and without any further delay or thought you spat your dummy out.

This is nothing whatsoever to do with me taking the “moral high ground”, rather me objecting to being accused of trolling or sealioning merely for asking a perfectly civil and legitimate question.

If you have an issue with the way this thread has developed, then I suggest you re-read what has developed this morning and consider at what point the descent into petty point scoring actually started.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s be very clear here. My last engagement with you on this thread was way back at post #25. Our exchange ceased there. I agree, until that point we were not miles apart, and everything was perfectly cordial.

I caught up with the thread this morning and your comments to others pricked my curiosity again regarding your proximity to the subject matter, hence I asked the question again, because it had never actually been answered.

You immediately leapt down my throat before the proverbial ink was even dry on my post. I had even explained in that question why I was asking it, and without any further delay or thought you spat your dummy out.

This is nothing whatsoever to do with me taking the “moral high ground”, rather me objecting to being accused of trolling or sealioning merely for asking a perfectly civil and legitimate question.

If you have an issue with the way this thread has developed, then I suggest you re-read what has developed this morning and consider at what point the descent into petty point scoring actually started.

That’s exactly what sea lioning is; pursuing people while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity.

What are you hoping the outcome of this is going to be? I’m not going to change my view on how you’re behaving, each time you post it becomes even clearer to me that you are sea lioning, and I say that without judgement. I have no idea what’s going on in your life, whether you’re having a bad day, or whatever. I would prefer it though if you stopped now though please.

I suggest we both just get on with whatever it is we’re doing today. Have a good one Billysboots.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m off for a family trip to the car wash. Amazing the sort of drudgery which we look forward to during lockdown.

Enjoy your day.

Ha! I can only dream of that - pouring with rain here with no end in sight.

PS. I’m not a member of Bearsted, and I’m not James Jordan.... (worst insult ever levelled at me ?)

Mandofred

Visit site
Are you sure?

Some 300 members paid and in advance, then a couple of weeks later couldn't play, practice or use the clubhouse for about 3 months and 100 members didn't pay on time and didnt lose any money at all - not exactly fair I'd say, but i do believe some deal will be done in due course. Of course all of the members are in the same boat with the current lockdown
I was a bit hot about this at first. I'm one of those people who pay early just to get it out of the way....the first week of March I think. Then....closure. Poop. I knew lots of people who were not having to pay at all. The club did the right thing and we were given a couple of choices.....1. A lot of people just said keep the money. 2. Members who paid early could get a month or so of the money back, which evidently some have. 3. Get that money taken off next years fees (which I am planning on doing). If they had forced everybody to pay full fees I think I could have lived with it....at least everybody would have been in the same position. However, I didn't like the situation that people like me were paying while others didn't have to. The ones that didn't pay early still have a bit more money in their pockets, but not much....I can live with that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was a bit hot about this at first. I'm one of those people who pay early just to get it out of the way....the first week of March I think. Then....closure. Poop. I knew lots of people who were not having to pay at all. The club did the right thing and we were given a couple of choices.....1. A lot of people just said keep the money. 2. Members who paid early could get a month or so of the money back, which evidently some have. 3. Get that money taken off next years fees (which I am planning on doing). If they had forced everybody to pay full fees I think I could have lived with it....at least everybody would have been in the same position. However, I didn't like the situation that people like me were paying while others didn't have to. The ones that didn't pay early still have a bit more money in their pockets, but not much....I can live with that.

Like you I'm happy to compromise and my club is talking about some deal for members who'd paid in advance. Biggest problem was that we had a fire in part of our green keepers sheds and lost a load of equipment, it was all insured but there are excesses to pay, and because there was asbestos in the buildings we are having to fork out to get rid of it all, so the club probably needs the money more than the members do at the moment