Bearsted Golf Club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been having an interesting discussion online with our current captain and a former captain now chairman of the directors. The club policy is very much in line with Bearstead but we have had members who have undergone major surgery, caner treatment, unemployment etc and although we haven't refunded their remaining fees, we have reduced payments by reducing them to social members so they still have access to the clubhouse and the facilities until such time as they are fit enough to play. It seems to have worked well so far and we treat on a case by case basis. There wouldn't be a plan to refund under the constitution as it is and would need board approval

sunshine

Visit site
Obviously we don't have all the information in this story. However, the article does not come across as credible to me. Multiple inconsistencies in the statements and quotes from Jordan. Creates the impression that they are trying to stitch up the golf club.

The bit that stuck out for me was the conversation in the car park. The manager approached Mrs Jordan in the car park to "tell her off" for a no-show and not cancelling her booking. This is very possible, especially as this would have been in the summer when the golf club was rammed. She then explained she missed the tee time because her husband collapsed with a stroke and was rushed to hospital, and the manager just said: "Can you make sure you cancel your tee time next time". I'm finding it hard to believe that the manager would say this - it's just too implausible.

It is possible the golf club initially refused all suggestion of a refund and did itself no favours at all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, my view would be if you have medical proof that you have a terminal disease which means you cannot play golf anymore, then the club should probably give you your fees back. It's not like it's going to happen that often that they have to worry about setting a precedent - it's just the decent thing to do. I have no idea why that didn't happen initially with this club, unless there's a history of niggle between this family and the club - but the article does state they have now rectified it and given them the fees back. Better late than never I guess.

The bit that stuck out for me was the conversation in the car park. The manager approached Mrs Jordan in the car park to "tell her off" for a no-show and not cancelling her booking. This is very possible, especially as this would have been in the summer when the golf club was rammed. She then explained she missed the tee time because her husband collapsed with a stroke and was rushed to hospital, and the manager just said: "Can you make sure you cancel your tee time next time". I'm finding it hard to believe that the manager would say this - it's just too implausible.
Yeah that did seem like a bizarre embellishment didn't it. Is anyone really that much of a bastard? "Yeah I don't care about your dying husband, just cancel your booking." :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah that did seem like a bizarre embellishment didn't it. Is anyone really that much of a bastard? "Yeah I don't care about your dying husband, just cancel your booking." :LOL:

Think we've all come across over zealous, self important club officials that get a sniff of power and turn into a proper tyrant. It may be that they weren't aware of the husbands condition or how devastating it had been for the wife on that day and so thought they'd get their petty tuppence worth of power trip in. The article does make the club seem an odd setup (presumably their objective) and definitely not painted them in a good light irrespective of the fact they've now refunded the fees

sunshine

Visit site
Think we've all come across over zealous, self important club officials that get a sniff of power and turn into a proper tyrant. It may be that they weren't aware of the husbands condition or how devastating it had been for the wife on that day and so thought they'd get their petty tuppence worth of power trip in. The article does make the club seem an odd setup (presumably their objective) and definitely not painted them in a good light irrespective of the fact they've now refunded the fees

Do you ever read the article or other people's posts?

sunshine

Visit site
Personally, my view would be if you have medical proof that you have a terminal disease which means you cannot play golf anymore, then the club should probably give you your fees back. It's not like it's going to happen that often that they have to worry about setting a precedent - it's just the decent thing to do. I have no idea why that didn't happen initially with this club, unless there's a history of niggle between this family and the club - but the article does state they have now rectified it and given them the fees back. Better late than never I guess.

As you say, a refund seems the most logical / compassionate / decent thing to do. Maybe the club offered to refund the husband's but only pro rata, maybe they refused to refund the wife's, it's all speculation and we don't know the facts.

In terms of setting a precedent, golf clubs generally have a lot of elderly members so this situation is going to arise several times a year at most clubs.