Band reunion; you have the power...

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They aren't my favourite band. They aren't even my favourite band of just the 60's/70's.

But if I could resurrect one band for a one off gig with a front row view, there's absolutely no doubt about it, I'd choose The Beatles.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great thread Rich.

I have a few but will lead off with:

The Late great (Sir) Rory Gallagher.

I saw all his Irish Tour gigs in the early 70s in Belfast. Boy could he work a crowd and boy, could he strangle a strat.

Grizzly

Visit site
Wow, interesting challenge. I'm lucky to have seen most of my musical heroes, save Johnny Cash and Kurt Cobain. I guess a couple of leftfield selections couldn't hurt....

White Zombie. Nearly went to see them play Leeds in about 93, decided to play Rugby instead. Regretted it.

Sepultura. Seen them with Derrick, never the original line up.

Also, 16 Horsepower. Daft as I've seen David Eugene Edwards solo and in Wovenhand and they are almost the same thing....

D

Deleted member 16999

Wow, interesting challenge. I'm lucky to have seen most of my musical heroes, save Johnny Cash and Kurt Cobain. I guess a couple of leftfield selections couldn't hurt....

White Zombie. Nearly went to see them play Leeds in about 93, decided to play Rugby instead. Regretted it.

Sepultura. Seen them with Derrick, never the original line up.

Also, 16 Horsepower. Daft as I've seen David Eugene Edwards solo and in Wovenhand and they are almost the same thing....
Got to see Johnny Cash in 1985 in Southport, bucket list concert, except I’ve never been so disappointed in my life, he was going through his “religious” phase and sang hymns for an hour and a half! Only song I recognised was Amazing Grace.

Never got the chance to see him again.:(

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Lifted this from Facebook, 1966 gigs in London. Zoom in and see the clubs and bands available, unbelievable! (Must catch the Who on Thursday!)
View attachment 33618

On the subject of things you wouldn't see these days, on the wall of the Hard Rock Cafe in Philadelphia was either a poster or a ticket for The Eagles in San Francisco (Candlestick Park I think). It had two prices; in advance and on the gate!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
On the subject of things you wouldn't see these days, on the wall of the Hard Rock Cafe in Philadelphia was either a poster or a ticket for The Eagles in San Francisco (Candlestick Park I think). It had two prices; in advance and on the gate!

On the gate! Unbelievable!
If you zoom in to the Ram jam club apparently the price for non-members includes a year membership... wonder how much it was?

Grizzly

Visit site
Got to see Johnny Cash in 1985 in Southport, bucket list concert, except I’ve never been so disappointed in my life, he was going through his “religious” phase and sang hymns for an hour and a half! Only song I recognised was Amazing Grace.

Ouch!

I had a similar experience with another hero - Neil Young. I had planned to see him with Booker T and the MGs in about 2003. but he cried off sick. So I was really looking forward to finally seeing him at Hammy Apollo the next year...you can imagine how gutted I was when he chose to play the entirety of his new album, Greendale, over the first 90 minutes of a 95 minute show... :oops:

D

Deleted member 16999

Ouch!

I had a similar experience with another hero - Neil Young. I had planned to see him with Booker T and the MGs in about 2003. but he cried off sick. So I was really looking forward to finally seeing him at Hammy Apollo the next year...you can imagine how gutted I was when he chose to play the entirety of his new album, Greendale, over the first 90 minutes of a 95 minute show... :oops:
The other big disappointment was Joe Jackson, one of the best things about living in Dusseldorf for a few years was that most artists played there or nearby if doing a Stadium Tour.

Joe Jackson started his act and after 10-15 minutes stopped his act and ask the crowd to remain silent as he was singing as it was putting him off! Most thought it was a joke and laughed it off, but 5 minutes later he stopped again and warned the crowd if they didn’t stop putting him off he’d walk off, then’s when we walked out!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

He was never one of my favourites, but I thoroughly enjoyed his tribute night.
Featuring Kris Kristofferson singing "On A Sunday morning Sidewalk " followed by Lyle Lovett and EmmyLou Harris.
But they were massively outshone by Cash's daughter Rosanne singing her heart rendered finale song , with her father watching from the balcony with tears in his eyes, I found it very touching, I'll Fly Away
:cry:.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the strangest 'gigs' I went to was Stephan Grappelli and Diz Disley at Surbiton Town hall in the early 1970's....not something I would have gone out of my way to see.
I think someone must have gifted me the tickets...fantastic music.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I did and can safely say he was a great entertainer.

However, I can equally safely say that he was not a great drummer.
Burn the heretic!

Come on now, Moonie may not have been any good technically, but the way he played was absolutely perfect for The Who and was crucial to how good they were.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Burn the heretic!

Come on now, Moonie may not have been any good technically, but the way he played was absolutely perfect for The Who and was crucial to how good they were.

Exactly; he wasn't a great drummer in the conventional sense but he fitted The Who perfectly.

"The Who; the only band in history with a lead singer, lead guitarist, lead bass player and a lead drummer." I don't know whose quote that is, but it sums them up perfectly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the strangest 'gigs' I went to was Stephan Grappelli and Diz Disley at Surbiton Town hall in the early 1970's....not something I would have gone out of my way to see.
I think someone must have gifted me the tickets...fantastic music.
Strangest I ever went to was on 7.11.82 to the Usher Hall to hear Keith Jarrett improvise for 40mins - take a breather - then improvise for another 40mins (my best pal's idea not mine)

And at the end when the cry of More! went up he said..."No - it's like having just finished a lovely meal and you are feeling totally sated and satisfied - and a dessert course is put down in front of you; and you know that if you eat it you might well feel a bit ill - so thankyou - that's me - no more" And off he trotted :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
S Club 7. Rachel Stevens.

Yep, even with her webbed toes.

Weirdly enough I only got into the jam in the 90's, as only 11 in 1981. Hard to pin down, but:-

1. Queen - night at the opera tour, ideally Liverpool Empire, not too big, not too small.
2. Beatles - In the cavern,approx 1964, before the screamers spoilt it all - could also have a bevvy with my 17 year old mam and Dad in there.
3. The Jam - Deeside ice rink, not just known for the onstage performance but Scousers / Mancs / Welsh / Wirral lads taking umbrage at each other. At the latest count 781,000 teenagers claimed to have been at this concert - some Ice rink, eh? I've seen Weller 3-4 times since, "From the Jam" and going to see a Style council tribute band in October, but to see the 3 together would have been epic.
4. Madness - Liberty of Norton Folgate tour (possibly in Hammersmith odeon, or some theatre down Old London town way). Ive seen a video of it, and although not vintage madness this recent album has 5-6 absolute belters on it, and the whole concert was done in a "good old days" music hall theme. I think madness fan club members were mainly there, and it just looks like everyone has an absolute wail of a time.
5. Surely Springsteen, Simple Minds, INXS shared a stage somewhere around 1985, maybe on the "Born in the USA" tour. :unsure:

Last edited: