Ball snobs

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I normally buy what’s on offer, although I do like using the chrome soft, the most I’ve paid is £25 for a dozen.
I’ve never used a brand new Pro V before 😳
Each to there own though as confidence plays a big part as well and if you feel better playing a premium ball, go for it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I use the yellow Dunlops from Sports direct in the winter. They are absolutely fine, especially given the limitations of winter golf, and they cost next to nothing.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I'm actually buying them then it's wilson staff dx3u but otherwise a swift clunk on my teeth tells me that the ball is soft enough or not!
As far as people using pro v etc - that's entirely up to you if it is your favourite ball. All I can really say is thanks to those truly premium ball users that lose their ball by the third hole for me to find:p
99% of posters on here won't get the true benefit of the ball they use anyway so what's the problem with just accepting that is their choice, no need to belittle them or be an idiot about it, worse still is thinking you are better for using x,y or z. People can get to work in Kia's or jags one is more comfy but they both both get there.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the 1960's the Dunlop rep let slip that the Slazenger+ and Dunlop 65 balls were the same, made in the same factory.
Amazing how many 'experts' swore that one was better than the other.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a reason Titleist is the number one ball in golf.

Totally agree . "Say something often enough and people will start to believe it's true"

The Americans (the biggest market) probably have the view that are supporting an American company. I so wonder if the balls they sell in the States are still made there as I see from the latest boxes the ones sold here are manufactured in the Thailand

Visit site
Buying premium golf balls reminds of this me of a pipe (announcement) I heard from the gangway whilst in the navy a few years back

“Jack Blair’s, trendy menswear is now on the jetty. Yesterday’s Fashions at Tommorows prices”

Now I like a decent ball, but would always buy about 250 titleist prov1 pearl AAA graders from somewhere like ‘premierlakeballs’ that worked out about £1 a ball. All looked brand new, played like brand new, and stopped me crying a few tears if one went oob or back to whence it came, the lake!! Now buy the same here in Aus from ‘lostgolfballs’.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm generally happy to use any ball. A well struck Dunlop gives a better result than a poorly struck ProV1.
Most of the balls in my bag are ones I've found. And if there are any ProV1s and TP5s amongst them, then great. But no way am I paying £4 for a ball!

Mind you, I wouldn't ever use a Top Flite, so I guess that makes me a low-end ball snob :eek:

Which version of the 50 or so Top Flites do you mean.

I played the Top Flite Strata for around 10 years - great ball and around for 5 years before the Prov1 came in to existence

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This got me thinking. I've never considered myself a ball snob and indeed in the winter I use whatever I have in the bag. In friendly summer games I again tend to use what's in the bag but in competition I use the Callaway Chrome Soft. I just happen to feel comfortable with it. Golf is a head game, play whatever makes you feel comfortable.
I've never bought a Pro V1 in my life but I've played lots of them. As above, thanks to all those who play them and lose them. That's what I like about our course, you find a better class of golf ball! :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don’t think I fall into the ball snob group

Play mostly srixons or Callaway’s just because that just seems to be what I get hold of most of the time in comp prizes etc (diff grades)

I do have a couple of sleeves of pro v’s and TP5’s waiting to get used but I’m not really sure what I’m waiting for because I didn’t pay for them, so they cost the same as a pinnacle really!

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
I play Chrome softs due to the sole fact that I like the feel. That been said I would never pay £35 for a box. I know a local who spends his time looking for lost balls around the local courses and get some from him. Top condition balls 50 for £30 is a decent price in my view.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a sleeve of 3 ProV1s at home that I was given for free (by Golf Monthly in fact) a couple of months ago and I've still not touched them. I guess I was afraid to find out that they were vastly better than anything else and then be beholden to spending over £40 quid a box from then on! I might just give them away. Does that make me a reverse ball snob?? :ROFLMAO:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a sleeve of 3 ProV1s at home that I was given for free (by Golf Monthly in fact) a couple of months ago and I've still not touched them. I guess I was afraid to find out that they were vastly better than anything else and then be beholden to spending over £40 quid a box from then on! I might just give them away. Does that make me a reverse ball snob?? :ROFLMAO:

Why not use them on safe par 3s to get a nice bit of stop and not ever loose them. Haha

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Which version of the 50 or so Top Flites do you mean.

I played the Top Flite Strata for around 10 years - great ball and around for 5 years before the Prov1 came in to existence
The ProV1 was already in existence when I took up the game, so I have no experience of Top Flites from back then. I stand corrected.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I buy whatever premium ball that is on offer. I think at present there's TM TP5 and Pro-v are in the bag. Just bought some Bridgestone B330rxs, and might give one a bash tomorrow. I like s soft feel off the face of the putter. And I'm not keen on the 'ping' off the club face that a Pinnacle gives.

Was hitting the TP5's back-2-back with the Pro-v's on the practice ground a couple of weeks back. Was curious to see if there was any discernible difference. No difference in feel but the TP5 was longer by about 10yds but flew lower.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I absolutely find a difference in performance and scoring. I play a premium ball in summer as the greens are so hard. In the winter greens are so soft you can stop anything on them. Not a chance in the summer. For me it's all about the approach to the green. No point hitting greens or parts of greens if the ball is going to roll on another 10/20 yards - which I see with friends who play hard 2 piece balls. This would directly affect my scoring.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in the day when I were a lad and golf was hitting a ball from A to B in as few shots as possible - if the ball was spherical - or near as dammit - then it was good to go. The only line I drew was on Price's Everlasting - and even then occasionally - there being no other ball in my bag that wasn't cut to blazes - a PE had to do. Simpler times.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE="SwingsitlikeHogan, post: 1920018, member: 16449 The only line I drew was on Price's Everlasting - and even then occasionally - there being no other ball in my bag that wasn't cut to blazes - a PE had to do. Simpler times.[/QUOTE]

I've got one of those kicking around in draw somewhere.

Not knowing any better I played the Penfold Commando for quite some time when I started.