Ball snobs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wonder when golfers turn into ball snobs (if they do at all). I can remember playing Wilson Blue Ridge as a youngster and didn't think anything of it. I do remember Dunlop DDH Marathon being a good ball (and cheap) and never quite got balata when one bad shot and the ball was knackered

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At my level the ball does not make a great deal of difference as my ball striking is too inconsistent. The only preference that I noted is when putting I struggle with a ball that is soft off of the putter face.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I loved playing balata balls. Titleist tour balata 90, my ball of choice. Wow, i could get some rip back with these. Smack a pw at the green, right at the pin, stop, admire it, turn, put the club back in the bag, look up, and see the ball appear off the front of the green. Zip.

Yep, score was rubbish, but that isn't everything?

Also, anyone playing a different ball out drove you by 20 yards.

Best ball before that was the Titleist PTS wound.

D

Deleted member 3432

Which version of the 50 or so Top Flites do you mean.

I played the Top Flite Strata for around 10 years - great ball and around for 5 years before the Prov1 came in to existence

It was certainly a game changer when the Strata came out. Definately a great ball.

D

Deleted member 1147

I loved playing balata balls. Titleist tour balata 90, my ball of choice...
...Best ball before that was the Titleist PTS wound.
I loved both of those...and the Slazenger wound balls were pretty awesome as well!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It was certainly a game changer when the Strata came out. Definately a great ball.

When the Strata came out, my course pro was raving about them. I refused to buy any, until I had tried one. He lent me a ball, I played 5 rounds with it, and gave it back. It was shot. Totally battered. What do you think? Nah, not for me.no longevity!

Wolf

Visit site
Used to love a Rextar Balata when I was a junior, made you feel like a top player hitting a hard wedge past the hole then telling it to "Razz" and see it backing up to hole high. Only problem was others with a harder ball would regularly out hit you or if you thinned one giving it a smiley face..

Loved the Strata when it came out I used to liberate those from my dad golf bag, claiming I had no money to buy new balls. Also quite liked the Precept EV as well.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As was the Maxfli Revolution...... similar era...

The local Nevada Bobs (remember them) let me have a mixed dozen of the Strata, The Maxfli Revolution and the Precept Double Cover, all of which came out at roughly the same time after comparing the 3 they let me switch the unused balls for Stratas

The Maxfli back spin was just so great it was sometimes impossible to keep the ball on the green. One of the pros I played with at the time commented on the same problem.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I loved playing balata balls. Titleist tour balata 90, my ball of choice. Wow, i could get some rip back with these. Smack a pw at the green, right at the pin, stop, admire it, turn, put the club back in the bag, look up, and see the ball appear off the front of the green. Zip.

Yep, score was rubbish, but that isn't everything?

Also, anyone playing a different ball out drove you by 20 yards.

Best ball before that was the Titleist PTS wound.

I used to play them until Maxfli brought out the DDH500 series

Re your comment on Stratas - used to be no different for me with any Balata ball so I did not mind making the switch for the increase in driver distance I got with one In those days I could afford to go through 2-3 of balls a round.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
At my level I know the ball will be the cause of about 0.5% of my score at best, may be even less. But tend to get last years version of half decent ones like AD333 Tours off t'internet when the offers are on. Don't think I have ever paid full price for the latest balls in any manufacturers range.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Used Maxfli Revolutions, Stratas and Professional 90s. Have tried various balls over the years but tend to stick to Pro V1s these days, they work for me.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit my lowest score ever yesterday using a yellow scuffed Chrome Soft ball, I hate yellow blahs and would never normally always change a scuffed ball, lesson learned :rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hit my lowest score ever yesterday using a yellow scuffed Chrome Soft ball, I hate yellow blahs and would never normally always change a scuffed ball, lesson learned :rolleyes:

Aye - breaking 125 for the first time is always a good feeling regardless of the blah used - except you probably played without fear or worry over losing your ball and as a result scored better ;)

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I will, and only ever have, played a Titleist ball. Originally started with the balata and then moved on to the Prov1. I'm in the process of trying out the new AVX, which i like and i like the fact that there is a yellow option for the winter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At my level I know the ball will be the cause of about 0.5% of my score at best, may be even less. But tend to get last years version of half decent ones like AD333 Tours off t'internet when the offers are on. Don't think I have ever paid full price for the latest balls in any manufacturers range.

I have maybe 4 dozen ProVs/V1s mostly in good nick in the car as folks lose balls easy round our place - and was given a dozen nice new AVXs for my birthday. Rates I lose and find balls I doubt I'll need to buy a golf ball ever again (with any luck - whaddya mean - typical b***y Scot)

Then never mind the lesser numbers of other premium balls I have - I must have at least 12 dozen good nick AD333s in the garage.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have maybe 4 dozen ProVs/V1s mostly in good nick in the car as folks lose balls easy round our place - and was given a dozen nice new AVXs for my birthday. Rates I lose and find balls I doubt I'll need to buy a golf ball ever again (with any luck - whaddya mean - typical b***y Scot)

Then never mind the lesser numbers of other premium balls I have - I must have at least 12 dozen good nick AD333s in the garage.
they must be the ball losers ball of choice, ive got a whole dustbin full