Ball snobs

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Youre right for most of it probably is feel, but heres a thought, if instead of swapping and changing people used a mid range ball for say a dozen rounds that feel with that ball would then become normal as it's what they'd be used to..

I don’t think feel will always be aligned to price though. I use vice golf balls, I like the feel off the putter. When clubhouse had a cracking deal on Nike’s premium ball I snapped a load up. They ended up in dads bag and I stuck with the cheaper ball.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I buy my golf balls when I see them on the cheap. Often last years model. I play Prov1x and Tp5x mainly, but am currently playing Mizuno MPx. Yep, I only play premium golf balls. Does it make a difference? Probably not.

Last year I was messing about playing 2005 Callaway hex tour black for few months. Still played ok.

Even tried some 2003 Top flites, which were horrid, but did not affect my scoring at all.

Joy of finding a stash of brand new old golf balls in my Dads garage!

Wolf

Visit site
I don’t think feel will always be aligned to price though. I use vice golf balls, I like the feel off the putter. When clubhouse had a cracking deal on Nike’s premium ball I snapped a load up. They ended up in dads bag and I stuck with the cheaper ball.
Your probably right on that, out of interest which Vice ball do you use and what's the cost, I keep getting ads come up on my social media and they do look intriguing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am only a semi ball snob!

But I do hate AD333s, I think they feel dead a door nail when you hit them... they dont fly and they dont stop! :)
Ive got a whole dustbin full of AD333 ive found walking the dogs, must be fav ball for Torvean Members.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ball snob........

Now just when you think you have heard everything there are ball snobs ?

Some people need to get out more...........

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s interesting. I’ve had a similar discussion with a few people I’ve played with over the past couple of months, by and large I think the majority agreed that the ball made very little difference to score for most amatures.

But there were two guys who were adamant it saved them a few shots a round. Both of them were 20+ handicappers using prov’s.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's a lot of talk about balls......
We, as amateurs, hit the ball all over the club face - high, low, left, right, occasionally near the middle.
Spin rates are going to vary immensely, anywhere between 3000-7000 rpm.
The better the player, the better the average strike, the more consistent the spin, the more it makes sense to use the same ball.
I've shot good scores with ProVs, TP5s, ZStars, Chromesofts, aD333Tour, Project a, Tour Soft, TruSoft, various versions of Penta, Supersoft, various NXTs and even a TopFlite Z Balata from years ago...
Having an average swing I'm not going to get top consistency from any ball regularly.
I have my preferences but I can pull My ball from my bag and play well or poorly with it.

Wolf

Visit site
Ball snob........

Now just when you think you have heard everything there are ball snobs ?

Some people need to get out more...........
Do you ever add anything to a forum debate other than petty insults or without the need to put other people down..

Just wondering..... Because surely be better the have a sensible conversation than spout drivel most of the time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I tend to normally use ProV1 and ProV1x - but I don't buy them - all found and I've got dozens and dozens so might as well stick to using them.

And if ever I were to run out as others stopped losing them, then I'd switch to another ball. Callaway Chrome Soft, Bridgestone B330 , Srixon Z-star (rarely found), AD333 whatever - I am honestly not in the slightest bit bothered abut the ball I use - only exception being a don't like hitting 'stones'. I have greater challenges with my golf than bothering much about the ball I am using.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a bag of about 100 practice ProV1s, bought off ebay for a song, and a box of new ones for comps. I don't lose many balls so usually only pull a new ball if the old one is very scuffed up and bumped to the practice bag.

About a year ago I bought a bag of every kind of "mid-range to premium" ball you could imagine, all very used but it was an experiment. I genuinely didn't think anything felt as nice off the face as the proV1s. About the closest was the TP5, but I still noticed a difference. Maybe it's cos I play with forged irons? Anyway, not saying I get a jot of performance out of them that I wouldn't with an AD333 for example, or even that I'd score worse with a different ball, but when there are about 1,000,000 variables to contend with in any given round of golf I fail to understand why I'd introduce another - on every shot - for the sake of a few quid. And that's all it is, having won a load of new proVs last year!

So if you would like to call me a ball snob go ahead, I'm utterly unfussed. For me it's a quality ball that I know is going to feel the same every shot and putt. It would be an interesting experiment to see if I scored any better over a season with a Pinnacle.

An experiment I have less than zero interest in performing :cool:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When the ground is firm that last thing I want is a rock or mid range ball that takes an age to stop.

More than happy to play second hand premium balls over brand new mid range.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Dean Snell, famed ball designer, says use the cheapest ball that performs for you. I'm using Vice Pro Plus, a four piece ball, and the original Snell MTB, a three piece. Both available at really good prices if you buy in bulk.
I've played for more than 60 years now and the ball is not a factor in how well or badly I play. The swings the thing.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you ever add anything to a forum debate other than petty insults or without the need to put other people down..

Just wondering..... Because surely be better the have a sensible conversation than spout drivel most of the time.

Ball Snob, never heard so much drivel as you put it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ball Snob, never heard so much drivel as you put it.
I know a guy who will only play a Titleist ball - and it's normally a ProV1
Because he " never plays well if it ain't a Titleist"
That's a ball snob.
Just because you've never heard of something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Take thats as a no you don't have anything better to do then...........

Yep if you had read my first post it says I have never heard such a comment as ball snob so as far as I am concerned this thread is pointless trying to make out someone is a ball snob because they play a more expensive ball than someone else really is stupid.

What next Iron snobs or bag snobs ?

Wolf

Visit site
Yep if you had read my first post it says I have never heard such a comment as ball snob so as far as I am concerned this thread is pointless trying to make out someone is a ball snob because they play a more expensive ball than someone else really is stupid.

What next Iron snobs or bag snobs ?
Oh I read it,. And it just like posts you put on many threads, has nothing to add to debate other than snide digs at other posters. If that's how you enjoy your forum usage rather than enter into decent conversation crack on...

Now where that's ignore button......