Ball snobs

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Your probably right on that, out of interest which Vice ball do you use and what's the cost, I keep getting ads come up on my social media and they do look intriguing
I used to swap between drive in winter and pro in summer. I always wait till they have an offer on so you get 6 boxes for price of 5. Makes them £8.72 or £18.73 a box.

But now I’ve settled on the tour which is £11.73 a box.

Wolf

Visit site
I used to swap between drive in winter and pro in summer. I always wait till they have an offer on so you get 6 boxes for price of 5. Makes them £8.72 or £18.73 a box.

But now I’ve settled on the tour which is £11.73 a box.
That's a really good price, think I'll give them a look now

D

Deleted member 15717

I'm not necessarily a ball snob, however, I am going back to Titleist when the new ball is released next year. I tried using Vice as a cheaper alternative, but found they mark and scrape really easily. There is also something mental, between my own ears, that trusts a Titleist over say, a Callaway. In my head, Callaway are not a ball manufacturer (same for Taylormade), so I don't trust it as much. That, for me, is the difference.

Now, asking about yellow balls vs white balls is a different subject for snobs!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not necessarily a ball snob, however, I am going back to Titleist when the new ball is released next year. I tried using Vice as a cheaper alternative, but found they mark and scrape really easily. There is also something mental, between my own ears, that trusts a Titleist over say, a Callaway. In my head, Callaway are not a ball manufacturer (same for Taylormade), so I don't trust it as much. That, for me, is the difference.

Now, asking about yellow balls vs white balls is a different subject for snobs!
what about Pink???

FYI i'm using a pink Callaway lady Supersoft at the moment, goes miles off the driver and summer distance of irons and with the soft greens and wedge shots off a matt stops first bounce too;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it “snobbish” to just use one preferred ball ?

I use Pro V1x - why ? Well I like them and I seem to play well with them - have tried others but always go back to the same ball

In foursomes I normally use the Ball my partner prefers

So I guess I’m a ball snob ?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Prov x normally, but the Srixon Z star and TP5s are also in use now and then. I'm still amazed at the many golfers who clearly spend lots of money on gear to then use a ball until it's lost or black. A bit exaggerating there, but in competition I'll use two new balls per round and that's without loosing one. If a ball spins or goes further when dirty, with scuff marks or worn then they would make them that way.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Is it “snobbish” to just use one preferred ball ?

I use Pro V1x - why ? Well I like them and I seem to play well with them - have tried others but always go back to the same ball

In foursomes I normally use the Ball my partner prefers

So I guess I’m a ball snob ?

I think it was summed up best earlier.

What you describe isn’t snobbery, it’s those that will only use a premium ball based on the status of the ball and nowt else.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am never going to pay the best part of £50 for a dozen golf balls and so, other then a few I have found, I have hardly ever used a pro v.

When I started paying a little attention to the ball that I was using, I chose ones that felt good to me and were at a decent price. Started on Wilson Staff DX2 or DX3 and have pretty much stuck with them ever since. I have found a few other that I like when they were on sale at a ridiculously low price but if I am going into a shop and buying balls at RRP then it will be Wilson Staff DX2 every time.

Wolf

Visit site
What about putter snobs, surely everyone uses a Scotty I presume :love:
You'll never get me using a Scotty, I've never ever tried one I liked the feel or balance of. I think more than anything the feel of a putter to the individual really does have to outweigh the brand on the head...

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm no ball snob, play with any all ball I find, as lose them to quickly

When looking at spin numbers I generate, my strike is so all over the place, the ball basically is making no difference.;)
Same here. I have loads of new balls accumulated over the years, but usually just play with a pick up .

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ll pretty much use anything 3 pce and upwards, including ad333 tour. Normally it’s a Bridgestone rxs, as I had a fitting, or a zstar. I’d play a prov1 as physiologically it’s nice to tee it up in a medal with a brand new prov1....except they weren’t as good in a head to head v the Bridgestone and I don’t wanna spend £4 per ball.
The only balls I won’t play with are anything Nike or the volvic S4!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Confidence is such a major factor in golf. I take comfort that Pro V1x's and TP5x's listen to what I shout at them more than budget balls (y)

#GO!
#SIT!
#SPINFORGOD'SSAKE!!!!!
#CUT!!
Second one must be after one of your chip shots. Hit a wall might be a better shout.:eek:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I normally use the Wilson DX3 urethanes, but in the winter go to the AD333. Anything I pick up goes into "hit once and say bye bye at the range" collection.
How a ball reacts with my putter is how I choose a ball.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a premium ball the tp5, I like the way it feels and and I can afford to use them.

I tried last weekend a cheaper titleist ball and didn’t like the feel so won’t be using it again.

I don’t consider myself a ball snob but I like what I like and if that’s a premium ball then so be it.