Back out - fed up

B

birdieman

Further to a post the other night about struggling with sciatica, on Wednesday morning I bent over to pick up a jacket and something 'twanged' in the lower back and my whole back went into spasm, I was in agony lying on the floor for 2 hours before managing to crawl onto the end of the bed where I spent the next 5 hours perched, any attempt to crawl onto the bed properly was excruciating. Anyway got the doctor out and was administered with 3 injections, one of which was some kind of opiate drug, which thankfully eased the pain. I am now off work and unable to walk properly as I can't stand on my right side and have bad nerve pain in my right leg, had 2 games of golf lined up this weekend which I've obviously cancelled. :(

Moral of the story - if you are getting any kind of back pain don't try and play through it like me, stop playing, get to bed, see a doctor and get it sorted out. This started for me just after Christmas and I have 'soldiered on' since then with varying degrees of back pain and recently sciatica.
Thankfully I have sky sports and broadband to keep me occupied. I fear for my credit card over the next few days as I seek online golf retail therapy and buy crap I really don't need! :D

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is one time I really do hate to say "I told you so"

Chin up son it is eminantly fixable.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Birdie, if you don't want to spend crap on yourself you could always buy me some AD333s and a new driver if you wanted!! ;)

Sorry to hear about your back fella, worst of luck old chap, I hope you get better soon.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why dont you seek golf therapy in the form of a book or maybe watch some golf videos instead of buying.

Sorry to hear about the back, i know how you are feeling, i was laid up only for a few weeks and it seriously killed me not plaing.

Dont rush back though, as am sure you wont!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
You'll be alright mate, just get a ton of golf dvds and get watching. You can buy Europes Triple Triumph or whatever its called - the Ryder Cup 02 04 and 06 box set for dirt cheap online, Faldo's opens, Tigers opens for cheap, Last years for a good price, TIGER 3-disc boxset which is just unbelievable when you watch it all together and loads of US Masters films if you look around.

I spent 6 years out of the game with Agrophobia - not a much worse affliction for a golfer! It hurt not being able to play but you come back with more desire than ever before and maybe even leave behind some bad habits. This could be the best thing that ever happened to your golf game.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Birdieman,

I know it doesn't help your situation but I think the rest of the forumers should take note of this. The next time we moan, winge, and complain about having a bad round/shot/practise session we should think of birdiemans situation.

Atleast we are fit enough to play. I'm the worlds worst at moaning about how i played...... when i should just be gratefull that i can get out there and give it a go.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
B-man, I have just been outside for 15 mins and it is bloody freezing so your not missing much. A couple of weeks with your feet up will rectify the problem. Buy with your Visa and it will keep you covered if you buy a clone.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I never moan now on the course. It took something pretty drastic to happen to change my ways. I hit an 8 iron into a green for a third shot at a par 5 and it was bang on the stick all the way. Being on the edge of a cliff though theres plenty of wind and such a gust took my ball and left me in the rough. Following a Sergio like moan, I made a noise that I'd only ever heard from one man in my life......UUEEEEEEEEEEEERGH.....a high pitched whinny....I was turning into my Dad. From that moment on I resolved to never moan on the course, never lose my temper, accept luck good or bad as equal and to never make that noise ever again. My playings improved so much but so has my enjoyment of the game and I feel such an ass for getting annoyed on the course in the past because not once did it make me play better not even once.
My book 'Golf as Martial Art' will be in bargain bookshops by Xmas 2009. Probably :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is pouring here so not missing much. Forecast is for a very wet medal round tomorrow. I have golfers elbow (swelling of the elbow joint caused by the vibrations on the range mats). It has been with me since before Christmas. I use neurofen straight after a practice session or round but it is gettin no better. It did stop me playing for a week or so back in February.

Hope you get better soon. Try and keep the credit card under lock and key

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Further to a post the other night about struggling with sciatica, on Wednesday morning I bent over to pick up a jacket and something 'twanged' in the lower back and my whole back went into spasm, I was in agony lying on the floor for 2 hours before managing to crawl onto the end of the bed where I spent the next 5 hours perched, any attempt to crawl onto the bed properly was excruciating. Anyway got the doctor out and was administered with 3 injections, one of which was some kind of opiate drug, which thankfully eased the pain. I am now off work and unable to walk properly as I can't stand on my right side and have bad nerve pain in my right leg, had 2 games of golf lined up this weekend which I've obviously cancelled. :(

Moral of the story - if you are getting any kind of back pain don't try and play through it like me, stop playing, get to bed, see a doctor and get it sorted out. This started for me just after Christmas and I have 'soldiered on' since then with varying degrees of back pain and recently sciatica.
Thankfully I have sky sports and broadband to keep me occupied. I fear for my credit card over the next few days as I seek online golf retail therapy and buy crap I really don't need! :D

i feel for ya pal since my early 20's i have had back issues now 28 and still have weeks where it kills me to play but i just cant miss a game.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
As a fellow bad-back sufferer I empathis totally and wish you a speedy recovery.

Think of all those birdies you will be banging in once recovered.

Don't know if you are a carrier or a trolley-man but I simply refuse to carry since my back probs as I know it does me no good.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Medway,

You raise a good point.

Are there any associated back problems with carrying your clubs? I carry the bag occasionally when i feel like i need a bit more exercise but I would knock it on the head if i knew it had long term affects.

B

birdieman

Thanks for your concerns, for me the problem has always been with a lifting action when you need to bend the back or from a sitting position eg a car, when you force the lower back to curve out. Tweeked it first putting mimi-me into a car seat.
I've played quite a bit of golf up until the week before last and I felt the straight back rotational action of a golf swing doesn't seem to bother my back, I'm sure it was aggravating things in hindsight. The only golf action that bothered me was bending to pick the ball out of the hole.
Doc has suggested I get moving as lying around just causes the muscles to seize up. My problem seems to be a musculature spasms one rather than misalignment of the vertebrae so I'm hoping recovery will be relatively quick. Definitely have some interference on the sciatic nerve however as I have some numbness around the right calf and burning feeling in the toes particularly when I hobble about with my stick but that may be caused by some inflammation which rest will help hopefully.
Feel like a proper old fart! :(

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Medway,

You raise a good point.

Are there any associated back problems with carrying your clubs? I carry the bag occasionally when i feel like i need a bit more exercise but I would knock it on the head if i knew it had long term affects.

Have a look at the posture of somebody whilst carrying, it is god-awful and can only be bad for the spine.

My chiropractor treats so many golfers and his main advice to them is to avoid carrying clubs becuase of the ill effects.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Medway,

You raise a good point.

Have a look at the posture of somebody whilst carrying, it is god-awful and can only be bad for the spine.

My chiropractor treats so many golfers and his main advice to them is to avoid carrying clubs becuase of the ill effects.

I have really bad posture as it is (think its from playing the guitar) so thought carrying the bag would help pull the shoulders back. maybe its not such a good idea then.

DCB

Visit site
Birdieman,
been there, done that!

Passed out on the golfcourse once when I ripped muscles in my left hip and buttock. Still got a weakness and have to keep everything warm and loose when playing otherwise....twang!

Take care getting back to good health, an extra few days at this time of year may mean the difference between playing this summer or not!

Get yourself off to either your chiropractor or a good physio its worth it in the end.

Try to get some movement as soon as you can, don't let everything sieze up as it protects the inflamed area.

Take care.