At what distance do you start aiming at he flag

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So inside 100 yards and control the spin.Wee sawed off follow through ?
Potentially
But hitting the drive that far to leave that shot and the slope either kicks you into the rough or into a bunker....too many variables.

Now you've updated the question I'd probably go at it from any distance I can reach...whether I'd make it or not is another matter.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Potentially
But hitting the drive that far to leave that shot and the slope either kicks you into the rough or into a bunker....too many variables.

Now you've updated the question I'd probably go at it from any distance I can reach...whether I'd make it or not is another matter.
It not a distant question it’s how far out when you say to yourself I’m going right at it. 150 I’ll go middle of the green. 140 probably the same 125 -130 I’m going right at the flag and I know of I hit well and on line its gonna land close. Can I just confirm it’s not often.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It not a distant question it’s how far out when you say to yourself I’m going right at it. 150 I’ll go middle of the green. 140 probably the same 125 -130 I’m going right at the flag and I know of I hit well and on line its gonna land close. Can I just confirm it’s not often.

As others have said, distance is irrelevant and it is still dependent on many things. Shape of the green, danger left and right and especially short (water or deep bunker), how I'm playing, where the flag is (tiered green) and how receptive the greens are. I could be 100 yards in and still not be going straight at it if the risk if I mis-hit is high and would go middle of the green. Our greens aren't large so anything central is never too far away

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If there’s no bad trouble to think about, I reckon the distance I go straight at the flag from is up to about 100yds.From there to about 140 I’ll probably aim 5‘ ish towards the middle of the green and up to around 180 I’ll probably go halfway from the flag to the middle of the green. I think I’m more conservative than most.

Having said that, we have several greens with run offs on one side so if the hole is close to it I won’t go straight at those no matter how close. For example, one of those holes is short enough for me to get within 30 or so yards after my tee shot. If the hole is next to the run off I’m aiming 3 or 4 feet left of it because missing 2’ right is going off the green.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Potentially

Exit just replied to the wrong reply. I think we should just give each other the putt and agree we play the game different ?

Is there any time on the course when you have a good yardage playing well and think I’m going right at the pin?

My yardage is 120 and no matter what the dangers im going right at it. My ball at that distance won’t have to much run it’s quite good fun.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is some pulling of teeth here. There doesn't need to be 27 variables going on ?‍♂️

Is this what it's like to be Bryson's caddy?

Theres loads of variables. If people enjoy going at the flag regardless of variables that’s fine, but it’s not the best way to score well - imo of course.

4LEX

Visit site
Always aim at the pin unless it's far left or far right.

If it's either of those I'll only aim at it from 130 yards or so.

Dead aim is one thing but a lot depends on location of the pin in relation to front or back too. Mostly target the middle of greens unless obvious hazards, especially on par 3's.

Birdies don't really define rounds for the vast majority of golfers, it's making par's instead of bogeys and bogeys instead of doubles that do.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is some pulling of teeth here. There doesn't need to be 27 variables going on ?‍♂️

Agreed I’d hate to fire at the pin and be worried about if breaks right or left. There is some great players on this forum that need to take that In To consideration.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site

Agreed I’d hate to fire at the pin and be worried about if breaks right or left. There is some great players on this forum that need to take that in to consideration which is an absolutely nonsense !!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Theres loads of variables. If people enjoy going at the flag regardless of variables that’s fine, but it’s not the best way to score well - imo of course.
I think the original post was designed to be a bit of fun. Clearly we make judgements based on variables on the day but that's missing the point, I think, of this thread. It really isn't that tricky a question.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Imrug my man have a shot at the pin. with your knowledges of your lofts,shafts and carry distance within an inch your life you might even get it close. I’m thinking you might need a wind sock on a 100 foot pole attached to you bag to give you the correct wind speed though.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My problem in answering this is that I don't often have a full shot into the green, so I guess that means it'll be double digits distance before I go for a flag
I played the course in my head and there's just one par4 hole where I aim for the flag with 2nd shot (about 120 in) so I guess that's my answer but it's such a rare scenario in a round that the 'stat' doesn't mean very much

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably 100 yards or less, unless it's in a particularly troublesome position. 100 yards being a full 50° for me. I usually hit that pretty well so I feel a little more confident aiming more towards the pin. Anything longer and I'm probably just going middle/back of the green.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Probably once I'm within wedge range which is about 120 yards for me, providing its the right shot to go for.

Outside that I'm aiming for the general location of the pin (front, middle, back, left, right etc) to about 170 yards.

Beyond that I'm just happy to catch the green

G1z1

Visit site
I probably go at the flag when it’s a 7 iron or higher, my 7 iron is my last club I feel as if I can hit semi consistently straight. Starting at 6 iron upto driver that’s when my fade usually shows up or the dreaded slice so then I aim left of target.