At what distance do you start aiming at he flag

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Full swing with pretty much any club I'm happy with the green.
Chips and pitches may be aimed for the pin depending on position.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our greens are old-fashioned/traditional small greens and so for almost all flag positions if I hit the middle of the green I'll have a 'not too long' putt.

We do have a few split level greens when the correct level is more important than being 'close', and likewise a couple with quite severe slopes when flag position may ask for an uphill putt - again more important than 'closeness'. We've also this 'off season' toughened up the greenside bunkering on two of our par 3s that provides us with the opportunity for 'dangerous' flag positions and much improved risk/reward options for the player.

And so addressing the OP question directly. Yardage of the shot to be played is much less of a consideration than the club I'll use. I'll go for flag with 7i or lower when it is 'safe' and the other constraints/objectives I consider allow it - and in the context of the format of golf I am playing and the number of shots that I've already played.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Aren't most hazards (bunkers, water etc) usually short of greens so if you are wanting to be short isn't there a chance if you don't connect properly you'll bring the trouble into play?

We definitely have holes where you are safer being long, but I think in an effort to make the course as long as possible with the available land a few yards off the back of the green is not the place to be (in most cases).

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We definitely have holes where you are safer being long, but I think in an effort to make the course as long as possible with the available land a few yards off the back of the green is not the place to be (in most cases).

But if you are coming up short….one more club will only get you to the middle of the green not over it.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
In a naive attempt to answer the question as it was asked...

Any club 8 iron or shorter I'm confident enough on strike that i can vary swingspeed and direction so that i can try and hit at a specific spot i.e. go for it

Any club 6 iron or longer im more occupied with strike than precise direction or distance so im just trying to hit a specific area, i.e, not got for it...

7 iron is the cross over that can go either way. Cant really aim for a specific spot unless other factors like wind, slope, current form are in my favour...