At what distance do you start aiming at he flag

D

Deleted member 29109

Almost never on full shots unless the pin is in the middle of the green. Even then there is consideration for where the trouble is and what the wind is doing.

Chips and pitches, it depends where the pin is, conditions and the lie.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So not 229 yards then what about 110 yards are you aiming at the pin?

Sorry I may have mis written that. On that hole you are virtually always aiming at the pin because of where it is located on the green.

There are some hole locations where I would not be aiming at the pin even from 100 yards.

This is a sort of how long is a piece of string question.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends also for me, but there are also a couple of greens I still don't go for the flag even from inside 100 depending on the flag.

Jason.H

Visit site
Under 130 I’m confident of hitting the green, over it becomes hopeful, though my 19 degree rescue and 5 wood have surprised me how accurate they are.

D

Deleted member 23270

When ever I think it is the right shot. Distance is fairly irrelevant. E.G. on one of our par 3s (229 yards) there is no 'middle of the green' and the aim is always to be on the right section of the green where the hole is cut.
I thought seniors hit driver on every par 3? ?

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ok let’s update my original question. The pin is in a flat ish part of the green. You have 10 yards in font and behind the pin that are flat. You have a good lie not much wind. At what distance are you going right at it. its perfect conditions slight and I mean slight left to right before the hole which you would notice if putting.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
let’s say you are 115 from the pin at your course let’s say the 2nd. Pin is 15 on and 15 from the right. As you say your not going right at it cause you never do. how far left or right of the pin are you aiming.

that’s for you imrug
Again, its not that simple.
On that green, because of the shape, 15 on and 15 right is off the green.....
On the 1st, 15 on and 15 right you're playing as far to the left as you can without going in the bunker..the ball may then slide down towards the hole.
Aim for the flag and, unless you're coming in from the moon, you're falling off the right side.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Again, its not that simple.
On that green, because of the shape, 15 on and 15 right is off the green.....
On the 1st, 15 on and 15 right you're playing as far to the left as you can without going in the bunker..the ball may then slide down towards the hole.
Aim for the flag and, unless you're coming in from the moon, you're falling off the right side.
So inside 100 yards and control the spin.Wee sawed off follow through ?