At what distance do you start aiming at he flag

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Bloody hell Mr Langer I’m assuming you just go for the middle of the green unless your are on it.??

No, but I know what my bad shot is; a tug left. If the pin is front left on our 14th, which has a nasty front left bunker, I won't go for it. If it's front right I will, even with the front right bunker because the miss usually takes it away from danger. Depending on the slope of the green I might play away; a front right pin on our 12th is the high point; get cute & come up short, it's a smelly downhill chip with the green running away; play past it to the flat of the green & take an uphill put every time over that.

The other factor in the decision is that my putting is probably my biggest strength so I'm more worried about keeping out of trouble and having a putt than getting tight.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
No, but I know what my bad shot is; a tug left. If the pin is front left on our 14th, which has a nasty front left bunker, I won't go for it. If it's front right I will, even with the front right bunker because the miss usually takes it away from danger. Depending on the slope of the green I might play away; a front right pin on our 12th is the high point; get cute & come up short, it's a smelly downhill chip with the green running away; play past it to the flat of the green & take an uphill put every time over that.

The other factor in the decision is that my putting is probably my biggest strength so I'm more worried about keeping out of trouble and having a putt than getting tight.
so what distance do all these factors come in to your thoughts 150 or 250 that’s my question. If it’s 250 them you must be some player

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Come on!! middle of the fairway not much wind amd a good lie. What max distant are you going for the pin.
Absolutely seriously..on no more than 2 or 3 holes can you "go for the pin" and only if its in a certain place and you're in a certain place
If you go for the pin on the others you're not going to be any where near it so you don't..you play for a part of the green instead.
And I'll play that sort of shot from anywhere up to 200 yards out...depending on the other variables...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When ever I think it is the right shot. Distance is fairly irrelevant. E.G. on one of our par 3s (229 yards) there is no 'middle of the green' and the aim is always to be on the right section of the green where the hole is cut.

phillarrow

Visit site
I remember seeing something on YouTube recently (I think it was the Golf monthly channel?) about an experiment done a couple of years ago where they took a group of golfers of all handicaps and split them in half. The first group were told to go for the flag at every green, the second group had the flags removed, so had no idea where the pin was until they reached the green.
Over the 18 holes, the second group scored much better at every handicap level!

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Absolutely seriously..on no more than 2 or 3 holes can you "go for the pin" and only if its in a certain place and you're in a certain place
If you go for the pin on the others you're not going to be any where near it so you don't..you play for a part of the green instead.
And I'll play that sort of shot from anywhere up to 200 yards out...depending on the other variables...
You are aiming at the pin from 200 yards and not the middle of the green? I’m being serious in sayin about 120 ish I’ll actually aim at the pin. Your greens might be massive right enough.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
When ever I think it is the right shot. Distance is fairly irrelevant. E.G. on one of our par 3s (229 yards) there is no 'middle of the green' and the aim is always to be on the right section of the green where the hole is cut.
So not 229 yards then what about 110 yards are you aiming at the pin?