Are your golf grips the right size?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I thought it was common knowledge that grips should fit your hand size. Grips that are too thin tend to make you too 'handsy' and encourage a hook, and too thick will tend to cause a fade or a block.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How thick are the grips ?

Are you really saying that 2/4 mm on a grip is the difference between hooking a ball and hitting it straight
Mine are approx 1/64th of an inch in diameter oversize. Actually the circumference is more important than the diameter, as that is what your hands and fingers have to fit round. So a 1/64th increase in diameter equates to a 3/64th increase in circumference. I try to arrange my grip size so that my finger tips don't quite touch my palms.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I thought it was common knowledge that grips should fit your hand size. Grips that are too thin tend to make you too 'handsy' and encourage a hook, and too thick will tend to cause a fade or a block.

Believe me when I tell you - no matter what the size of the grip is, I can hook, slice, pull or push.....

D

Deleted member 15344

Mine are approx 1/64th of an inch in diameter oversize. Actually the circumference is more important than the diameter, as that is what your hands and fingers have to fit round. So a 1/64th increase in diameter equates to a 3/64th increase in circumference. I try to arrange my grip size so that my finger tips don't quite touch my palms.

And you believe that much thickness makes the difference between a hook and hitting it straight ?!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And you believe that much thickness makes the difference between a hook and hitting it straight ?!

Standard sized grips are just a fraction too small for me, but I know from experience that midsize grips (+1/32nd inch) are fractionally too large as I start slicing and blocking shots out to the right. One or two extra wraps of tape is somewhere in between and gives me a nice comfortable grip. I have some additional wraps under the bottom half of my wedge grips, so they still feel comfortable when I grip down. Otherwise I have the problem of my fingernails digging into my palms and a less than secure grip. Suggest that you have a look in www.ping.com where the importance of correct grip size is explained. Custom fitting includes measuring finger size, and they offer a range of colour coded grips to suit.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grip size is important, and if you get customed fit they will check your grip size to give you the right size grip, but it's down to the individual. I have relatively small hands and should be a standard grip with one layer of tape. But I prefer my grips to feel a bit thicker then standard, so I put 2 layers of masking and 1 layer of double sided tape. But you can't put a load of tape under a grip and leave it as it will make the swingweight change of the overall club and have to put weight at the head end.

Recently ive been experimenting with back weighting the grips by putting lead tape on first before adding the extra layers too. Feels good on my wedges.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
How thick are the grips ?

Are you really saying that 2/4 mm on a grip is the difference between hooking a ball and hitting it straight

yes that's correct- I give you fat putting grips that are taking over.

I played squash at a highish level and had so much wrapping a whole side of the racket was bare. Bubba has 12 layers of tape I am led to believe.

My grips are 4 layers left hand and 3 layers right hand- not Mizuno tape though as they use thin tape.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea and currently not too bothered by it. I'm usually MR average and the last time I got new grips I just had what was on before. Plenty more things have an effect and I am never uncomfortable.

If I was looking for that extra shot or two down in low single figs I would look into it, until then its a constant I should not really change.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

yes that's correct- I give you fat putting grips that are taking over.

I played squash at a highish level and had so much wrapping a whole side of the racket was bare. Bubba has 12 layers of tape I am led to believe.

My grips are 4 layers left hand and 3 layers right hand- not Mizuno tape though as they use thin tape.

You can quite clearly see the difference in size with the SS grips though

Where as the thickness of two layers of tape is tiny and i really struggle to see how that can make that much of a difference where it means the difference between a hook and hitting it straight

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use midsize grips even though I usually buy small gloves. Its because my fingers are long and they dig in to my palm if the grips are too thin.

D

Deleted member 1740

I like a thicker grip for no other reason than feel. I usually have midsize grips with 2 layers of tape on my irons and I use a 2thumb grip on my putter but it's fitted on the side so I didn't have to change my actual putting grip though it's a much tighter feel and stops me from breaking my wrists.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting article. I have always just gone for the standard fitting and two layers of tape. As my grips are due for renewal in a few months it's worth thinking about
I have never changed the grips on my irons. :eek: Current ones been on for about six years, but still feel fine. Not practicing might have something to do with it, or perhaps cleaning them with fairy keeps them good,.:mmm:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have never changed the grips on my irons. :eek: Current ones been on for about six years, but still feel fine. Not practicing might have something to do with it, or perhaps cleaning them with fairy keeps them good,.:mmm:
Even if you keep them clean, they do go hard and less grippy over time.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

aren't we in age of metric now......... ;)

I agree though I have regripped with 3 extra layers of tape and found that my shot shape is much better.