Are you a Social or comp player

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Do you in the main play social golf or is it in the main club competitions ?

And do you wish you play more of the other ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I mainly play social golf but with some competitions thrown in. I probably play around 6-8 comps a year, nothing in comparison to most on this forum. I'm okay with that, I enjoy social golf more, partly because on my home course it is a better balanced course off the yellows that the whites.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It's mainly comps... as my clubs has comps every Saturday, and that's the only day I get to play for much of the year... that's too much.

Although our club has just changed the rule to allow you to play on Sat AM without entering the comp, as long as you play in 3 balls and the same format as the comp. Hence, this Saturday I didn't part with my fiver!! Just as well too!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I play pretty much all the comps that I can as well as the vets league matches, but I do like social golf too

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
About half & half I'd say. Play every week and roughly every other game's a comp

For me that balance is about right

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No longer a member of a club so all of my golf is social. I cant wait to get back to playing in comps but could be a few years yet.
In the meantime I will just have to be happy with society 'comps' and matchplay with mates for a few quid.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I love playing competitions, so I enter every comp that my club offers if I can fit it into my work schedule. But over the course of the year I still play more rounds socially (mostly with my parents) than comp rounds.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Mostly comp. Work full time Mon-Fri, family with small children, calendar busy with competitions during golfing seasons and comps give me good motivation to keep on improving.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both I guess. Try and play at least once a week, and usually that is with my mates. We only enter the comps once or twice a month though, the other weeks it's just friendly knocks though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play far more social golf than comps now. I used to play every comp going at 20 or so opens every year. still mange 20 plus comps a season with a couple of opens still.

But would play more comps if i had the time. only really play stroke play medals on a Sat and Matchplays either in the Club comps or M&N league. we have 3 comps a week, but the two i don't bother with are the Wednesday cup (bogey) and the Sunday Stableford, as i don't like the bogey and Sunday unless you get out early can be a drag, esp if you get stuck behind a few 4 balls playing social golf.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my old club it was mainly comps, as it was on a Saturday when I played and that was when the comps were on and the odd social game mid week. At my new club we still play Saturdays, but socially only as the comps are for full members. I will get to play in the odd mid week sweep, but there will be no comps this year for me.

I don't mind that as I play golf to unwind and relax, not to stress out about a shiny bit of tin.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suppose, as I play in excess of 100 rounds a year and only have 6 possible comps to enter, I must be more of a social golfer than competition golfer....
Still play competitively though..

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty much all comp golf, as the club usually have one every Saturday morning - as this is my main day & I don't really have that many friends that play either, don't actually play hardly any social golf

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Almost every round is a comp round, although I see that as social golf. My mindset is the same for both. They're just fun games.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mainly social golf for me now. We have the roll up on a Saturday and comps on Sunday. If I can only play once at the weekend then the roll up wins. On the weekends I can play twice then I will enter a comp.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comp golf for me most of the time. With working full time I don't get a lot of chance to play social golf. Trying to get the handicap down is the challenge and that only happens in comps.

What is social golf though? On Wednesday evenings we have a nine hole social comp which is probably the best of both worlds.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Purely social, not a member of a club but pay an annual fee to play unlimited at 4 munis. Play a different one each week, would get bored playing same course every week.