Single major or Tour Wins

Single Major or Tour Wins

• Total voters

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
22 weeks actually. While getting to #1 recognises a degree of consistency and tour wins, I don't think too many people would care if they were world number one without a major win. Ranking isn't what players are measured on
Some people do (not LIV fans obviously! :cool: ) and I'm sure those who reach number one like to mention it.

And don't forget one of the facts people like to quote about Tiger is the length of time he was number one

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
World ranking is one of the ways players are measured....
Majors
Total wins
World ranking
Hours spent on the range.......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Such an amazing contrast between Luke Donald and Tom Lehman. 56 weeks at no 1 for Luke, but no majors, 1 week at no 1 for Tom, but collected a major too.

Also of course Greg Norman being at no 1 for 331 weeks and only picking up 2 majors is the other outstanding statistic in this list.
Norman should have had more majors without doubt. Funny thing with Donald and Lehman though and I wonder who thinks they had the better career

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
Such an amazing contrast between Luke Donald and Tom Lehman. 56 weeks at no 1 for Luke, but no majors, 1 week at no 1 for Tom, but collected a major too.

Also of course Greg Norman being at no 1 for 331 weeks and only picking up 2 majors is the other outstanding statistic in this list.
Norman is the original bottle job

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a question of the exchange rate between majors and regular tour wins. Would you swap one major for one tour win? Obviously yes. What about one major for ten tour wins? Or fifty? Or 100? Or 200? Is there a point where the value (emotional value, not just money) of X tour wins exceeds that of one major win?

Swango1980

Visit site
Definitely the Tour wins. If you are comparing the likes of Monty or Westwood with someone like Todd Hamilton. Monty and Westwood have legacies that will last long beyond that of Hamilton

Although if it was a choice between 30 Tour wins and no major, or 25 Tour wins and 1 major, then I'd go for the 1 major option most likely.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's a question of the exchange rate between majors and regular tour wins. Would you swap one major for one tour win? Obviously yes. What about one major for ten tour wins? Or fifty? Or 100? Or 200? Is there a point where the value (emotional value, not just money) of X tour wins exceeds that of one major win?
If you win 200 times on Tour, I'd love to know how you failed so miserably at the Majors :)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Am a fan of the majors. Apart from a few special cases pro golf is largely about having a run of form at the right times. In recent years with the (mens) majors compacted into a third of the year this may increase the chances hitting a run if form at the 'wrong time', wheareas general non major wins cover a bigger portion of the year.

Think the question/answer is more nuanced than just a binary choice IMO.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am a fan of the majors. Apart from a few special cases pro golf is largely about having a run of form at the right times. In recent years with the (mens) majors compacted into a third of the year this may increase the chances hitting a run if form at the 'wrong time', wheareas general non major wins cover a bigger portion of the year.

Think the question/answer is more nuanced than just a binary choice IMO.
SUrely a major is about having four exceptionally good rounds. Not sure having a run of form is necessary. Clarke springs to mind but found a way to get it done

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
one major and nothing else, nah

a journyeman career on the tour making millions and a major yes. Unless it was the PGA championship then I would take the tour wins

US Open, Open, or Masters would take that