Player of the Year (so far)

Who will finish 2017 as Player of the Year?

• Total voters

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably two front runners for Player of the Year - Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth. Who would you say has had the better year? To compare:

Justin Thomas
4 wins (3 PGA Tour and a Major)
Shot 59
Shot a record -9 in the US Open
6th in the World

Jordan Spieth
3 wins (2 PGA Tour and The Open)
Became 2nd player in history to win 3 of the 4 majors before 24th Birthday
3rd in the World

Has to be Thomas for me so far not only for the tournaments won but also the extra achievements with the 59 and the -9 round in a Major, but still some big tournaments to come with the Fed-Ex Cup finals coming up soon and the final WGC event in October. Who do you reckon has been the stand-out player of the year? and will it still be JT at year end?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JT for me. Has played on another level this year. I suppose it will come down to who has a better fedex cup. But I think JT can get a win or two more and that will seal it for him.

U

User62651

I'm liking Matsuyama, he is now firmly in the top echelon and is consistently in the frame in the big ones. I think he'll win the Fedex Cup too.

Thought Matsuyama course managed poorly latterly yesterday, he knew his tee game was a bit off but kept trying to rip driver as hard as he could to the point of being unbalanced. Clearly very talented and a big strong lad but thought he could've had a stronger caddy to help him make better decisions under pressure and find more fairways.
Thomas was a mix of brilliance, luck and nervy poor shots but got over the line well enough in the end. I'd give him player of year too.

D

Deleted member 1147

DJ would be my choice.
Got to world no 1, 3 consecutive wins, and even when playing "poorly" still seems to manage pretty high finishes.

Plus, and honourable mention for John Rahm, for how quickly he's come on the scene and been a contender virtually every week.

D

Deleted member 15344

John Rahm

To go from where he was at the start of the year to top 10 in the world and winning twice one on either side of the pond for me is outstanding

I think Thomas will win the award though bit certainly honourable mentions to DJ , Speith , Garcia and Mastuyama

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Funny when a player wins suddenly they become flavour of the week.

JT, DJ, Spieth and Matsuyama been the standouts

Fleetwood, Koepka and Rahm honourable mentions

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought Matsuyama course managed poorly latterly yesterday, he knew his tee game was a bit off but kept trying to rip driver as hard as he could to the point of being unbalanced. Clearly very talented and a big strong lad but thought he could've had a stronger caddy to help him make better decisions under pressure and find more fairways.
Thomas was a mix of brilliance, luck and nervy poor shots but got over the line well enough in the end. I'd give him player of year too.
I agree. With iron striking there seems to be none better than Mats at the moment, but he's pretty wild off the tee to say the least. I was also thinking he should look at using the 3 wood a bit more. Making it hard for himself.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Spieth for me. I trust his swing more than 'others.' I think Matsuyama may develop into a better golfer but he needs to reign it in a little first.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tough call but I'd say Speith for yet again an outstanding year of play.

But I'd also have Rahm up there for the huge progress and undoubtable skill he possess.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Speith, not his biggest fan but no doubting how great a player he is. He has the knack of being able to compete even without his A game which few others can do.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Mtsuyama for me, although probably a little biased as he's been a money maker for me this season.

I think he he actually did well to finish so highly this week been as he played 3 days with no swing whatsoever..

a few dodgy putts yesterday cost him, but I'd have him ahead of fowler for being a major winner.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mtsuyama for me, although probably a little biased as he's been a money maker for me this season.

I think he he actually did well to finish so highly this week been as he played 3 days with no swing whatsoever..

a few dodgy putts yesterday cost him, but I'd have him ahead of fowler for being a major winner.

What major has Matsuyama won?

JT is front runner for me, 4 wins including a major, and a 59, and lowest ever round to par in a major.

Unless Speith gets to 5 wins or takes the FedEx cup then POY has to be JT.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What major has Matsuyama won?

JT is front runner for me, 4 wins including a major, and a 59, and lowest ever round to par in a major.

Unless Speith gets to 5 wins or takes the FedEx cup then POY has to be JT.

Absolutely correct. All the others mentioned have had good years but nobody else has had the year JT has had.

Spieth is close and if either he or Rahm wins the FedEx then they have a shout, but it's JT for me just now.

DJ was going great til he fell down the stairs. Hasn't quite got back to his previous form since then, IMO.