Are you a Social or comp player

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would love to play more social (and away) golf but just don't have the time, play as many comps as I physically can be present for in the year and that's pretty much all my golf.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t play that many non comp rounds, not 18 holes anyway. Mainly comps or club matches.

I don’t really see a distinction anyway. Why is a comp round not social. We have a chat & a beer, feels pretty social to me ?

D

Deleted member 21258

I think of comp golf as a game that is a competition at your golf club and opens at other clubs with everything else being social golf(society/casual rounds).

I play mainly social golf(probably over 75/80% is) as find it more relaxing and fun.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’ve played 30 rounds so far this year. 4 have been comps......

i still want want to play my best each time, but it’s far more important to have fun.

D

Deleted member 15344

Play both - I’ll play loads of comps and I’ll play loads of social golf - I suspect I play more social golf but I just see myself as an amateur club golfer who enjoys all forms of the sport

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Both. Wouldn't want to be playing just comps - wouldn't want to be playing just social. I couldn't compete if I didn't play social golf as my social golf is my practice.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hmmm....what has struck me since being on this forum is that social golfers take from it what it is and I suspect they don't really care f they improve or not, ideally they'd probably like to but to them it is what it is.

Those who play competition golf are the ones who will improve over social golfers IMO, which is fine either way, personally if I played social golf all the time I think I'd lose my desire to play the game.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hmmm....what has struck me since being on this forum is that social golfers take from it what it is and I suspect they don't really care f they improve or not, ideally they'd probably like to but to them it is what it is.

Those who play competition golf are the ones who will improve over social golfers IMO, which is fine either way, personally if I played social golf all the time I think I'd lose my desire to play the game.

i suppose thats true to and extent Cabby, when i played 20 opens plus a season and at least 2 other comps per week as well that was the time i improved the most.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t really play social rounds anymore ,my golf buzz comes from comps and all my practice in between is to play better in comps to bring my handicap down .so comps for me just love competive golf even though I been awful in the last few .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both really as it's the same for the guys I pay with. If there is a comp on we play in it if not we just for a fairly small kitty (£1 each).

What I like about the social games is that we vary what we are playing - singles, better ball, bowmaker or yellow ball.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Both. I’d happily play social and comps 50:50 Not really interested in playing stroke play socially much rather play 4BBB or 6’s socially.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Anything and everything. We usually have a comp or a friendly match on one day of the weekend most weeks now the season has started and I'll definitely be in the comp and hope to be picked for the friendly. On the other day they'll be a roll up and I love these as much. Great atmosphere on and off the course, few drinks with good friends and hopefully the odd good shot

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely social. Could quite happily not bother with comps, and only ever play them with mates, and to keep handicap active.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Mainly singles comps. Medals Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday matchplay with friends and I’m entered into two knockouts this year. Couple that with a few pro ams lined up. One tomorrow. and some comps booked in on EAGT. I’m fully booked up competively till November.
Juggle that with a full time job.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play at least four times a week. I enter the several club comps every month along with matches against other clubs. The rest is practice, either on my own or with a chum. I play several social games during the summer, the best being with ScienceBoy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t play that many non comp rounds, not 18 holes anyway. Mainly comps or club matches.

I don’t really see a distinction anyway. Why is a comp round not social. We have a chat & a beer, feels pretty social to me ?
Indeed, a lot of the comp rounds I'm playing now are with the same guys I play my social rounds with anyway, since me and three mates are all members at the club now. It's only the occasional 'bigger' comps where the groups are drawn where there's more of a distinction.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mainly singles comps. Medals Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday matchplay with friends and I’m entered into two knockouts this year. Couple that with a few pro ams lined up. One tomorrow. and some comps booked in on EAGT. I’m fully booked up competively till November.
Juggle that with a full time job.

Is your job "professional golfer"?!

Fair play, couldn't dream of fitting that much around my work! Too much travel in mine, can be away for a fortnight in a very different time zone. Kills everything!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mainly comp golf for me. If I'm playing and its not a comp its usually on my own, will play a couple times a month with others when time suits but not always.

I wish I could just play more golf in general, more comp golf would be good though. Giving more chances of handicap reductions.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would prefer to only play comps

dont really enjoy golf when nothing on the line

try and play every Wednesday and Saturday and enter any comps that are on. Now we back in season that should be 50%