Anybodys club accepting guests after reopening? Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

Noooo - are you not reading what I’ve posted - that the tee is not reserved...and as we are not all standing by the tee ANYONE can come along and follow those groups already waiting. And u less ALL of your four ball is standing by the 1st tee then another group not in the roll up can play before your group.
So 32 guys (on a bad day) turn up to play at 10:30 and every group, after the draw is done, then puts their ball in the chute as and when and not there and then?

I understand if there are 3 balls already in the chute the first “roll up” group won’t start for 30 minutes, but surely the 8 “roll up” balls will then follow, so any other member turning up around 11:00 will still have an 80 minute wait.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So 32 guys (on a bad day) turn up to play at 10:30 and every group, after the draw is done, then puts their ball in the chute as and when and not there and then?

I understand if there are 3 balls already in the chute the first “roll up” group won’t start for 30 minutes, but surely the 8 “roll up” balls will then follow, so any other member turning up around 11:00 will still have an 80 minute wait.

and if those 32 guys are there as 8 independent 4 balls then youve got the same wait!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What if someone wants to play, not in the roll up, turns up midway through. You don't think they will feel intimidated by the weekly roll up being there? I suspect most will avoid that time, you effectively push them out of that slot, because within the club it is known as the roll up slot.
No they will not. And of course it is known - because the club and club handbook makes the sat roll up known to new members as a great way to get to know members.

D

Deleted member 16999

how are they blocking the tee when anyone is available to join in?
Because after they do the draw they put their balls in the chute and take the tee off for anyone turning up after them will wait anywhere between 60-80 minutes.
If the roll up was booked 10:30-11:30 every saturday then other members could also book their time and not turn up not knowing whether they have a 10 minute or 1 hour wait.
Some members maybe that flexible, others may not.

D

Deleted member 16999

and if those 32 guys are there as 8 independent 4 balls then youve got the same wait!
Exactly why a booking system is better. You can check before you go, the roll up is always described as having a particular time, so it’s a booking in everything but name.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because after they do the draw they put their balls in the chute and take the tee off for anyone turning up after them will wait anywhere between 60-80 minutes.
If the roll up was booked 10:30-11:30 every saturday then other members could also book their time and not turn up not knowing whether they have a 10 minute or 1 hour wait.

so what do you propose? banning roll ups because these friendly sociable inclusive groups for the members block the tee in case some other members (who are more than welcome to join in) want to turn up, play on their own and may have to wait a bit to do so?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Nope - groups don’t put a ball in the chute - deliberately so as we don’t want to block book the tee which 8 groups balls in the chute would do. If a group turns up they can stick their ball in the chute if they want to register they are there - but most don’t as they just ask those gathered there who they follow.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Exactly why a booking system is better. You can check before you go, the roll up is always described as having a particular time, so it’s a booking in everything but name.

in your opinion

booking systems keep people playing in their same 4 ball week in week out, not mixing within the club, not giving an opportunity for new members to integrate, not offering options for those who dont have a regular 4 ball to get a game

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We don’t put our balls in they chute because we do not wish to block the tee from anyone else who turns up. Maybe we have a perfect model for a largish roll up working for the benefit of all members ?

A few years ago we ran a three month trial of a tee booking system for all play. We then had a vote of the members on whether or not to adopt it permanently and it was comprehensively rejected by the membership.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

so what do you propose? banning roll ups because these friendly sociable inclusive groups for the members block the tee in case some other members (who are more than welcome to join in) want to turn up, play on their own and may have to wait a bit to do so?
Just go to a booking system, let the roll up have the 60 or 90 minutes required, no different to blocking the tee off for the Ladies, the difference is, if Ladies are given 10:30-11:30 and when they turned up 24 golfers were stood there, the men would in no uncertain terms be told were to go and members avoid that time. Why not look after the roll up the same way.

Like I said I’m not against the idea of a roll up and encouraging new members etc, it’s the point they and the members have no idea when they’ll actually tee off or how long they’ll wait.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just go to a booking system, let the roll up have the 60 or 90 minutes required, no different to blocking the tee off for the Ladies, the difference is, if Ladies are given 10:30-11:30 and when they turned up 24 golfers were stood there, the men would in no uncertain terms be told were to go and members avoid that time. Why not look after the roll up the same way.

Like I said I’m not against the idea of a roll up and encouraging new members etc, it’s the point they and the members have no idea when they’ll actually tee off or how long they’ll wait.

Because a lot of clubs and their members dont need or want a booking system, why should they be forced to have one?

Just because it suits you doesnt mean it suits everyone

D

Deleted member 16999

in your opinion

booking systems keep people playing in their same 4 ball week in week out, not mixing within the club, not giving an opportunity for new members to integrate, not offering options for those who dont have a regular 4 ball to get a game
And that’s your opinion, booking systems also guarantee new members a slot and they can be as flexible as they want to be and not have to fit the roll up time.

I’d suggest a good Club is just that and not down to just having a roll up to integrate new members, that is just 1 way.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
in your opinion

100% spot on. And our Club ethos is openness and inclusivity to avoid such issues - a club for ALL members. No tee reservations, no block bookings. Total flexibility. I can turn up at my club at any time, or on a last minute whim, and unless there is a comp running I know I will be able to play.

Well that was back in the day ? Tee booking for 2 balls only and no guests or visitors. For the first month. Hate the lack of flexibility ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies moogie, we have hijacked your thread. I'm off to play golf now I'll leave this alone.

Hopefully others can post about their clubs again and you can get your cross section.

D

Deleted member 16999

We don’t put our balls in they chute because we do not wish to block the tee from anyone else who turns up. Maybe we have a perfect model for a largish roll up working for the benefit of all members ?

A few years ago we ran a three month trial of a tee booking system for all play. We then had a vote of the members on whether or not to adopt it permanently and it was comprehensively rejected by the membership.
Sorry, but I’m lost, 8 x 4 balls turn up to play, you’re saying some will put the balls in the chute and some will wait to put their balls in the chute?

D

Deleted member 16999

100% spot on. And our Club ethos is openness and inclusivity to avoid such issues - a club for ALL members.
32 in your roll up out of how many members? I’d suggest the rest are playing in the groups they want which really isn’t the openess you suggest and sounds more exclusive than you realise.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
32 in your roll up out of how many members? I’d suggest the rest are playing in the groups they want which really isn’t the openess you suggest and sounds more exclusive than you realise.

last club i was at you would expect anything from 10 to 40 to turn up for the roll up, how many members played in the roll up? well over a 100 at different times. people didnt always play in it if they already had a game fixed, had a match to play etc but it was always an option for anyone who didnt have a game organised and wanted to play

exclusive or inclusive?

D

Deleted member 16999

last club i was at you would expect anything from 10 to 40 to turn up for the roll up, how many members played in the roll up? well over a 100 at different times. people didnt always play in it if they already had a game fixed, had a match to play etc but it was always an option for anyone who didnt have a game organised and wanted to play

exclusive or inclusive?
Always the same day and time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.