Anybodys club accepting guests after reopening? Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Roll ups are great for the clique, not great for everyone else. I bet there are a good few chuckles around the country at clubs where other members are finally being able to get out and play during those 'golden' slots ?
I'm not sure I agree.

As the ones I play in are open to all (including members guests) and are drawn on the day, there is little chance of a clique forming - in fact the opposite is true. It is also a great way for new members to join in and get to know other members.

More of a clique is the same 4 members who play every competition together.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect it will settle down after the initial mad scramble, some people may not have played since last year.
I doubt it will change until we firstly go to 3 balls and then then finally totally back to normal and no tee times.
I would imagine that the number of members who have not played at all this year is no more than 50 for various reasons.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great for those who are limited for time, rock up at the club to find a big group waiting to play so have to stand around for an hour or two.

As Lord Tyrion says great for the clique.
Sorry but it’s just not like that. You rock up at 10:25 for a knock and you will get straight off. You rock up at 10:30 and there may be 2 or 3 groups at the tee. You are fourth. The fourth roll up group follows you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Where's the problem?

As SilH has said it isn't a closed shop, open to all members.

It strikes me that it is the others who just want to play with the same few each week that are trying to form a clique.
I have no issue with roll ups per say, my issue is when they say it’s not a block booking, imo, it is and it’s normally the people in the roll ups that are the loudest in their opposition to booking systems.

They’re ideal if, like I put, they suit your needs, but that “de facto” block booking denies flexibility to others, or, what if 20 members want their “roll up” at 10:20, silh’s “roll up” won’t be happy being denied “their” slot from 10:30 onwards.

Introduce a booking system and still have the “roll ups” just stop pretending they’re not a block booking by another name, that way every tee time is open to every member equally and not depending on whether they want to be part of the “roll up” or not.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Roll ups are great for the clique, not great for everyone else. I bet there are a good few chuckles around the country at clubs where other members are finally being able to get out and play during those 'golden' slots ?
Can’t be a clique if anyone can roll up and take part - which is how it works.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just wait for the ‘they are the life-blood of the club’ reply and they have a right for their regular slot....
Our Saturday roll up has no ’tee rights‘ whatsoever. Anyone can join in and if you don’t want to you just take your place by the tee. Sticking your ball in the chute. If I felt my club was cliquey in any significant way I wouldn’t be a member.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree.

As the ones I play in are open to all (including members guests) and are drawn on the day, there is little chance of a clique forming - in fact the opposite is true. It is also a great way for new members to join in and get to know other members.

More of a clique is the same 4 members who play every competition together.
I think it is the block element that can, note can, cause an issue. The clique in this sense is the block, not just a handful of golfers. That block can be a clique still to the rest of the members.

I quite agree with your last point.

Incidentally I'm not condemning all roll ups, they have their place, but they can be a problem for members who may not want to be a part of it or may be excluded, I suspect most are single sex roll ups for example.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s never a clique when you’re part of it and it suits your needs.
Our Saturday roll up cannot be a clique if anyone can turn up and join in - it is not a clique...end of. You turn up - put £1 in the pot and wait for the draw to see who you are playing with - and the draw is random. Nobody gets to choose who they‘d like to play with.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can’t be a clique if anyone can roll up and take part - which is how it works.
What if someone wants to play, not in the roll up, turns up midway through. You don't think they will feel intimidated by the weekly roll up being there? I suspect most will avoid that time, you effectively push them out of that slot, because within the club it is known as the roll up slot.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it is the block element that can, note can, cause an issue. The clique in this sense is the block, not just a handful of golfers. That block can be a clique still to the rest of the members.

I quite agree with your last point.

Incidentally I'm not condemning all roll ups, they have their place, but they can be a problem for members who may not want to be a part of it or may be excluded, I suspect most are single sex roll ups for example.

last club I was at roll ups were open to all and usually included men women juniors and seniors, newcomers were always welcomed openly

run properly im not sure how they can be a bad thing unless you have your own little 4 ball and want to play in it every week

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our Saturday roll up cannot be a clique if anyone can turn up and join in - it is not a clique...end of. You turn up - put £1 in the pot and wait for the draw to see who you are playing with - and the draw is random. Nobody gets to choose who they‘d like to play with.
The group is the clique. There is not a limit to the size of one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So on a bad day, somebody landing behind your roll up to play will have a 80 minute wait to tee off? ie 8 x 4 balls at 10 minute intervals?
Noooo - are you not reading what I’ve posted - that the tee is not reserved...and as we are not all standing by the tee ANYONE can come along and follow those groups already waiting. And unless ALL of your four ball is standing by the 1st tee then another group not in the roll up can play before your group.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

last club I was at roll ups were open to all and usually included men women juniors and seniors, newcomers were always welcomed openly

run properly im not sure how they can be a bad thing unless you have your own little 4 ball and want to play in it every week
It’s not about who you play with and who you don’t, it’s about 20-30 members effectively blocking the tee for an hour or more.

Whether a 4 ball is a clique or not, they are only taking up 1 tee slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.