Looking to change course - Around TN/CR/BR Post code area's

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If love to join selsdon park but the only issue is hotel guests get priority, I've been stuck behind Japanese 8 balls and all sorts I'm about 4 miles tops from selsdon would have been ideal

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
One more to consider - Kent and Surrey Golf and Country Club

It's in Edenbridge which is just past Oxted but I played this course a couple of years ago and I thought it was excellent.

The new owner was doing some cracking deals to get new members as the previous owner had been a bit silly and annoyed all the previous members. Plus, he was doing some great alterations to the course which would have made it an excellent course.

I would have joined here but it was fractionally too far from me.

Perhaps Chartham Park as well but I guess that's too far for you.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Baz reading your posts i still cant get my head round some of the subs you guys are asked to pay how do they get away with it,I'm £580 with my £50 bar tab included,gcd is £180 for 7 courses at St Andrews sorry to rub it in mate.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No worries steve, believe me it rubs me hard mate , even mid 20's memberships are over £600 in the south east. A course inside the top 100 down here is about £2500 a year plus joining fee

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
SomeOne else mentioned Kent and Surrey I'll have a google ;)

Oddsocks, it was me some months ago.

What can i say, the latest offers are a two for one deal, normal price £850 or if two people join together £425 each. This is on offer until March 2012. I have a few guys coming down to see if they want to join in early April. However even if you wanted to join on your own I quite sure you could do a deal.

A little about the Golf Club. At weekends there is normally a competition on one of the days and a roll up on the other. Members who outside of these comps must book their tee times. Members (incl ladies) have reserved tee times until 11.00, but these will be open to the public if not booked by the Thursday. We have a small membership base so the owner does incourage societies to play (after 11.00)

The course.
The old owner who sold the course wanted to keep some of the land which meant we lost our 1st and 2nd tee's. A new 1st tee was opened up last April, it has reduced the lenght from 350 yards to 290 yards, and is now a slight dogleg. However the plans to lenghten the hole have come to a halt, mostly due i think to the economy.
The second hole (which was a really great hole par 4) is now reduced to a 149 yard par 3. A new tee box is well on the way to being finished, to be totally honest its a bit of a nothing hole, but a three is still a good score.
The rest of the course is a challenge, tough par 3's (5 in total) including an island hole at 195 yards of the whites, which is our signature hole, great views.
Some really difficult par 4's were water makes you make a decision to go for it or not. There are four par 5's the longest being 589 yards, and another is a dogleg.
The greens are fantastic, and a fourball (non members) behind us last saturday said they couldn't believe how good the greens were. However the tee boxes are not the best, by a long way. The good news is that there is a 3 year programme to completely renovate ALL of the tee boxes.
The actual course is wide in places, but almost all the holes are tree lined which means you dont see loads of other players once you start. There is loads of water, which is in play, so its not all driver of the tees as you could/will find yourself in ponds or ditches.

The course however does get wet during the winter and up until a couple of weeks ago was very very wet, but open, just. Again it drains well and a week later was playing fine.
As I said its a challenging course, and some say a difficult course, its members are friendly and they have inter club matches with other courses nearby.

Unfortunately I'm only playing once a week at the moment, and I am pretty well tied up with competitions in the near future so i cant get a chance to play with you, but If you can get the time give it a try i think you will be surprised. If something brakes and I get the chance to play I will let you know.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi fred,

cheers for the response. Ive looked at the site and the big thing for me is the fact that i would still need to pay a green fee of £27.00 on weekends. Ok this isnt high but im already paying green fee's on a weekly basis and this is one of the reasons im looking to leave. The green fee's suit a once a month player but playing every week is totting up to £1300 a year based on 50 weekend rounds and this doesnt include any twilight games, saturday games, or range sessions as our course doesnt have a practice ground. if i take all of these into account im close to the below numbers:

Anual Membership £60.00
Sunday Games per year: £1300
Saturday games per year £500
Range Sessions per year £500
Twilight games per year £250
Total green fee's £2610

As im hoping to play more i want a members course where i can just dump down some cash, and play as much as i want through the year, im aiming with saturday and sunday games, atleast twilight a week, and a good range session a week.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oddsocks

You have read the web site wrong (not the first) that £27 is for non members who want to play. Your fee for a 7 day member gives you free golf 7 days a week. Of course there is a small fee normally about £4 if you take part in any of the competitions.
So if you joined with another person it would cost you both £425 each, and you could play everyday of the week.

I joined 2 years on my own and they gave me a deal where I paid £600. Last year i paid £637 and this year I go upto the full amount of £850. And I pay by direct debit at no extra charge, something like £70+ per month.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope the course is better than their website - truely awful!!

However, looks a cracking deal and great value for money. Hope it works out for you OS.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Oddsocks,

Westerham is definitely not for you if you want to be able to guarantee playing whenever you want.
However, I often phone on a Friday, see who's out as a 3-ball and get the pro-shop to put me in with them. I've never had a problem yet. Alternatively, you can just rock up on a Saturday/Sunday and join in with the swindles.
But you're right... it's far from a members' club!

I'd suggest taking a closer look at Bletchingley. Great course, and one I'd join, but it's just that bit too far from me. Seriously, a good course, but not sure about the stuffiness of the members. Certainly quieter than Westerham.

Not sure of the age group of Chislehurst. And you probably will want to sell me your driver if you join there. ;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oddsocks,

Westerham is definitely not for you if you want to be able to guarantee playing whenever you want.
However, I often phone on a Friday, see who's out as a 3-ball and get the pro-shop to put me in with them. I've never had a problem yet. Alternatively, you can just rock up on a Saturday/Sunday and join in with the swindles.
But you're right... it's far from a members' club!

I'd suggest taking a closer look at Bletchingley. Great course, and one I'd join, but it's just that bit too far from me. Seriously, a good course, but not sure about the stuffiness of the members. Certainly quieter than Westerham.

Not sure of the age group of Chislehurst. And you probably will want to sell me your driver if you join there. ;)

Bratty

check PM.