Advice on an East Lothian trip

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're wanting a gentle start and Gullane 3 is difficult for the last day , have you thought about using it for the first?
It is an enjoyable course but it is short and an easy way to start. Gifford is meant to be quite an enjoyable course but I've not played it.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
Try and get a twilight tee time at North Berwick West Links, if you can it save a bit of cash over the normal rate.
Powfoot is worth a game if you’re travelling back home that way.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just mapped Dunstanburgh, it's 1.5hrs from where we're staying but then 4.5 hrs home. Might be just abit too far east to be a stop for us.
What is your route back?

I assumed you would go down the A1 but if you are looking at Powfoot then I'm guessing you are going over to the M6.

sunshine

Visit site
Seems a shame to come all the way to East Lothian and play a run of the mill parkland course like Haddington. I'd swerve that and look at one of the links courses instead. Longniddry probably not a bad shout looking at your price range and courses you've played before.
This is exactly what I thought

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you're wanting a gentle start and Gullane 3 is difficult for the last day , have you thought about using it for the first?
It is an enjoyable course but it is short and an easy way to start. Gifford is meant to be quite an enjoyable course but I've not played it.
Gullane 3 isn’t a difficult course really, considering they have Dunbar the day before, G3 would be like a stroll in a nice seaside park after that.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't played it but Carlisle is well liked and is also en route without having to really deviate. Have you played there?
Not played Carlisle but heard good things about it & would be very handy as right next to M6. Nearby Brampton GC for me would be a no, no as waaay to hilly.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Seems a shame to come all the way to East Lothian and play a run of the mill parkland course like Haddington. I'd swerve that and look at one of the links courses instead. Longniddry probably not a bad shout looking at your price range and courses you've played before.
i never get this either, come to an area famous for its links and play parkland Gullane 2 or 3 or even Goswick would be choices of cheaper after Dunbar.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gullane 3 isn’t a difficult course really, considering they have Dunbar the day before, G3 would be like a stroll in a nice seaside park after that.
Not that difficult if I had a 30 out/30 in score of 60 in a bounce game as a skinny late teen.
3223 start I recall.
Mind you The course is 2 to 3 shots harder now [aye but clubs and balls are much better]
Arguing with myself again. ;)

TigerTime

Visit site
I'm in charge of planning our summer trip for next year and we're going back to East Lothian, got a nice cottage booked in Haddington and I think I've got a loose itinerary but I'm just keen to see if I've picked a dud or missed a gem:

Thursday- Haddington After a 5 hour drive and an early start, I thought this would be a gentle start
Friday- Craigielaw
Saturday- Dunbar, thinking this would be the standout course of the trip
Gullane number 3- was hoping we could get on early before the long trip home but it's their summer club event so can't get on before 11.

We've already played Gullane number 2, Kilspindie and North Berwick Glen.

Budget wise, the £150 Dunbar is asking is probably the max we'd pay for a round.

Cheers

Apart from the obvious NB, Muirfield, Gullane 1 etc

Luffness?
Monktonhall

Depending on your way home potential options for your last day;

Goswick
Bamburgh
Seahouses
Roxburghe
Peebles