Advice during competition round.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst I can’t easily define on here what would constitute advice, I would suggest that one of the determining factors would be if the ‘statement’ is a matter of fact, or factually correct, e.g. yes, the pin is at the front, or when asked about course yardages and layout, 146 to the middle, oob left, etc. Leaving it at that is factual and OK, it is not advice. Suggesting how to play the shot under those circumstances is advice and not OK.
Commenting on wind and green speeds isn’t specifically giving advice, just an opinion on circumstances, although I tend to make up my own mind and not rely on other players thoughts…..some of which may be gamesmanship.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It is a casual comment I and others will make every round. Same as, wind has picked up, wind direction has changed, and multiple other phrases that could be construed as advice if someone was particularly up themselves about these things. Thankfully I have only every come across one golfer like this, he was disliked throughout the club for his love of pulling people over pedantic matters. If someone ever challenges you then the best thing to do is to make a note never to play with them again :D. We play for fun, not to walk on eggshells.
What's their username on here? :p

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's their username on here? :p
Ha ha. No longer alive so not on here.

A bloke who loved nothing more than to cross a fairway to advise someone they had broken a rule and penalty shots were due. He took huge pleasure from it. You could hear an audible groan when people saw him on the course. Not really how you would want to be known but that is some people for you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha ha. No longer alive so not on here.

A bloke who loved nothing more than to cross a fairway to advise someone they had broken a rule and penalty shots were due. He took huge pleasure from it. You could hear an audible groan when people saw him on the course. Not really how you would want to be known but that is some people for you.
One time I played with my mate and a member who was a well-known moan a lot. My mate was in the bunker, I think he accidentally put his club down to steady himself as his ankle wobbled on the way in. (As an aside, I think they know allow this in the rules but this happened before then.) He was going mad saying you can't ground your club in a bunker, and my mate was just apologising but not really realising what the fuss was about. This bloke in the end actually gave my mate a rulebook to keep in his bag. I thought it was hilarious - not convinced he can even read so that would have gone straight in the bin. :LOL:

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played an open a few years ago at a course I hadn't before.

Blind tee shot and I had no idea where to go. So, I asked a FC (a member) where should I aim? He said he couldn't tell me?

Was that a rule breach by me? Could he have told me?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Blind tee shot and I had no idea where to go. So, I asked a FC (a member) where should I aim? He said he couldn't tell me?

Was the rest of the round frosty?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand what you are talking about.......but.......I'll continue to try and follow the rules. But....I'm not planning on playing "golf police" on tiny rules that may be broken that don't actually make any real difference. I did the same before the rule changes....I'd regularly see people who would touch the ball with their putters or even irons on the fairways etc and you could see the ball wiggle....but it didn't make any difference, there was no "advantage" so to me it just wasn't worth the aggravation to call it. I'd never seen anybody else call those rules either. Then again....I'm not playing professional golf.
If you see a player in your group tee his ball up in advance of the markers do you point this out? I do. Wouldn’t want a fellow player unknowingly break a rule…simple.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think he'd be fine to tell you what line/direction the green was, but not where you should aim

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

To my mind he can say "the pin is x yards in that direction" and point, as that is a fact. What he can't do is point and say "hit it x yards in y direction" as that is advice. Subtle but clear IMO.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you see a player in your group tee his ball up in advance of the markers do you point this out? I do. Wouldn’t want a fellow player unknowingly break a rule…simple.

I would also always point it out. Again, it is fact you are pointing out - you are ahead of the tee marker. It doesn't impact the way in which the player plays their next shot.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, I just got on with it. TBH, after I asked I thought I probably shouldn't have. Could.see where I was going after that.?
At the Open I played in at West Lothian a couple of weeks ago, the opening tee shot is a blind one. The group ahead of us were waiting on the 1st for the bell to tell them they could go and I asked straight out, 'where the heck do you hit it'? All 3 of them smiled and started, seperately, to tell me the best line. Luckily the comments were all similar. That is what opens are about (y)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
At the Open I played in at West Lothian a couple of weeks ago, the opening tee shot is a blind one. The group ahead of us were waiting on the 1st for the bell to tell them they could go and I asked straight out, 'where the heck do you hit it'? All 3 of them smiled and started, seperately, to tell me the best line. Luckily the comments were all similar. That is what opens are about (y)

"Direction" on a blind hole can be delivered as a statement of fact, rather than advice...... ;)

Lat week we had several incidents as you describe as the folk we played with hadn't played either course before.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
If I noticed (doubtful) I might. But, again......an inch in front of the imaginary line I just don't care about. You do.....fine with me. (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was talking about before the recent rule changes. My attitude (which many may not agree with) is that if somebody does something (even if it breaks the rules....gasp) that results in no advantage and has no bearing on results....I'm not going to zap them for it. I could never understand why if you were in a sand trap (before rule changes) and had a good sized rock next to your ball that you couldn't move it. Good sense finally prevailed and the rules now allow it. There are some that would now say "Well, it's called a hazard for a reason!!" When it causes immediate damage to your club.....I vote for moving the rock. The sand traps I unfortunately find myself in have LOTS of rocks. I guess it's cheaper to get hold of? My 60 wedge has a few nice dents in it as it is.....it has found a few of the rocks.

The new rule has actually made it worse. Most clubs had the LR declaring them to be movable obstructions and if the ball moved you simply replaced it. With the change they are now loose impediments (provided they are loose and not embedded) but if the balls moves when you remove one that is now a one shot penalty (the ball still has to be replaced).