Advice during competition round.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Played Saturday in a club medal, did not know my pp. during the round the lower handicap golf suggested what club his friend should take off the tee. 1) is it allowed? I didn’t think it was. 2) would you say anything? I didn’t.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
All the above answers may be incorrect. Advice can be given up until the point where the round starts. This is when the first shot is played. If club choice is discussed prior to the round starting, this is not against the rules.

Mandofred

Visit site
Not supposed to do it, but I really don't care if they do. Just one of those minor faffy rules that I don't think will make any difference. Not worth the agro....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
All the above answers may be incorrect. Advice can be given up until the point where the round starts.

Played Saturday in a club medal, did not know my pp. during the round the lower handicap golf suggested what club his friend should take off the tee. 1) is it allowed? I didn’t think it was. 2) would you say anything? I didn’t.

The advice was given during the round so the answers above are correct.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In this instance the penalty is against the player giving the advice. The player receiving the advice only gets the penalty if they asked the other player what club to take.

If it is done regularly that might be a different matter.

Yes I would say something.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The advice was given during the round so the answers above are correct.
The point I was making, not very well, was that on the first tee, advice can be given.The round doesn't start until the first shot is hit. I thought that this was against the rules too but I have read something from the R & A, can't remember where, covering this very point.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
along with other funny rules

you can look in someone's bag to see what club they took, but you cannot move a towel or other object in order to get a clearer view

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The point I was making, not very well, was that on the first tee, advice can be given.The round doesn't start until the first shot is hit. I thought that this was against the rules too but I have read something from the R & A, can't remember where, covering this very point.
10.a. Advice
During a round, a player must not:
  • Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,
  • Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or
  • Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).
This does not apply before a round, while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a or between rounds in a competition.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Advice type question

If I pass someone on the course can I ask them where the pin is on the 7th green? It's a fairly short par 4. Playing downhill with a steep slope down to the green last 60 yards.

The green is out of sight from the tee. I cant see it from anywhere on the previous 6 holes. The only way I'd know is if I walked out before the round and looked.

Knowing where the pin is would help me decide what shot I'd like to hit off the tee.

For example if it's at the front, I know I can get away with a bump shot out of the trees if I pull it. If it's at the back of the green this shot isnt really on. It's easy to get blocked out and not access the back of the green. There is a large slope that helps feed the ball onto the front.
Pin at the back I'd be best to lay up shorter than driver on the flat and have a wedge or short iron in.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Advice type question

If I pass someone on the course can I ask them where the pin is on the 7th green? It's a fairly short par 4. Playing downhill with a steep slope down to the green last 60 yards.
Yes you can. The location of anything is a matter of public knowledge.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
May sound daft but does that include pair comps ? Played around last week pairs comp. The other pair was at times like a lesson, one guy telling other what club, how to swing, grip ,stance etc. Is that allowed ??

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ave heard the same conversations times a plenty on the course with 2 particular playing partners esp on the par threes. They tend to hit it the same distance . However I Have never ever seen them hit it within 3 ft of one another onto a par three Green.