Advice during competition round.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Not supposed to do it, but I really don't care if they do. Just one of those minor faffy rules that I don't think will make any difference. Not worth the agro....

Whilst part of me is minded to agree with you, I’m not really sure we can pick and choose which rules we stick to.

Visit site
Yes you can. The location of anything is a matter of public knowledge.

My only PP at the weekend comp was a visitor - so I felt it was OK to remind him where our OOBs are - esp as we have internal OOB on 2 adjacent holes
Kind chap that I am as well as telling him - I gave him a physical demonstration 3 times (plus 2 examples of where the water hazards were) :)

Mandofred

Visit site
Whilst part of me is minded to agree with you, I’m not really sure we can pick and choose which rules we stick to.
I understand what you are talking about.......but.......I'll continue to try and follow the rules. But....I'm not planning on playing "golf police" on tiny rules that may be broken that don't actually make any real difference. I did the same before the rule changes....I'd regularly see people who would touch the ball with their putters or even irons on the fairways etc and you could see the ball wiggle....but it didn't make any difference, there was no "advantage" so to me it just wasn't worth the aggravation to call it. I'd never seen anybody else call those rules either. Then again....I'm not playing professional golf.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the word that was used was 'oscillates'.
If the ball oscillates and returns to it's original position there was no problem.
However, things change so I could be wrong.

Mandofred

Visit site
If the ball waggles but doesn't move, is that a penalty?
I was talking about before the recent rule changes. My attitude (which many may not agree with) is that if somebody does something (even if it breaks the rules....gasp) that results in no advantage and has no bearing on results....I'm not going to zap them for it. I could never understand why if you were in a sand trap (before rule changes) and had a good sized rock next to your ball that you couldn't move it. Good sense finally prevailed and the rules now allow it. There are some that would now say "Well, it's called a hazard for a reason!!" When it causes immediate damage to your club.....I vote for moving the rock. The sand traps I unfortunately find myself in have LOTS of rocks. I guess it's cheaper to get hold of? My 60 wedge has a few nice dents in it as it is.....it has found a few of the rocks.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I was talking about before the recent rule changes. My attitude (which many may not agree with) is that if somebody does something (even if it breaks the rules....gasp) that results in no advantage and has no bearing on results....I'm not going to zap them for it. I could never understand why if you were in a sand trap (before rule changes) and had a good sized rock next to your ball that you couldn't move it. Good sense finally prevailed and the rules now allow it. There are some that would now say "Well, it's called a hazard for a reason!!" When it causes immediate damage to your club.....I vote for moving the rock. The sand traps I unfortunately find myself in have LOTS of rocks. I guess it's cheaper to get hold of? My 60 wedge has a few nice dents in it as it is.....it has found a few of the rocks.
Even before the rule changes you could have a local rule allowing stones in bunkers to be removed.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And the only rule that changed about removal of a penalty for moving the ball was on the green.

Oh, and when accidentally moving it during a search.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I consider knowing which club to hit is a big advantage which can have a huge bearing on results.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
10.a. Advice
During a round, a player must not:
  • Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,
  • Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or
  • Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).
This does not apply before a round, while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a or between rounds in a competition.

So does that mean i can ask what club a competitor is using on the first tee before anyone tees off? Seems wrong?

D

Deleted member 15344

I understand what you are talking about.......but.......I'll continue to try and follow the rules. But....I'm not planning on playing "golf police" on tiny rules that may be broken that don't actually make any real difference. I did the same before the rule changes....I'd regularly see people who would touch the ball with their putters or even irons on the fairways etc and you could see the ball wiggle....but it didn't make any difference, there was no "advantage" so to me it just wasn't worth the aggravation to call it. I'd never seen anybody else call those rules either. Then again....I'm not playing professional golf.
Unfortunately with the sport at our level being self policing we must ensure when we play any competition we must follow every single rule no matter how tiny you think it is there will always be the potential to affect the result of the comp

And yes giving advice is clearly a rule break that can affect the result of a competition

We must play to the rules

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since we're here talking about the advice rule, here's something I've always wondered. Sometimes out of nothing more than idle conversation I'll say something like "christ, I went up a club there and it was still short" or "I went up to a 7 and still didn't get there!" - but then I've thought if another player has a shot from a similar yardage I might have inadvertently given advice for him to hit a longer a club due to slope/wind?? Or is it the intention to give advice or not that's considered?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The other day I played and the greens were running quick. On one of the holes on the back 9, for whatever reason there was a green running much slower. I hit a putt, left it short, and said something like 'this green is much slower than the others'.

Have I broken a rule there?! I would say no, but I guess that could be interpreted as advice?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The other day I played and the greens were running quick. On one of the holes on the back 9, for whatever reason there was a green running much slower. I hit a putt, left it short, and said something like 'this green is much slower than the others'.

Have I broken a rule there?! I would say no, but I guess that could be interpreted as advice?
It is a casual comment I and others will make every round. Same as, wind has picked up, wind direction has changed, and multiple other phrases that could be construed as advice if someone was particularly up themselves about these things. Thankfully I have only every come across one golfer like this, he was disliked throughout the club for his love of pulling people over pedantic matters. If someone ever challenges you then the best thing to do is to make a note never to play with them again :D. We play for fun, not to walk on eggshells.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

As I said, part of me is minded to agree with you!