A-Z vinyl collection

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was in the middle selling all my old vinyl when the lockdown started.

A lot of it is in pristine condition. When we used to buy a record we used to clean it, anti stat and record to cassette.

My cassette player/recorder had a three head system which allowed you to switch between source and recorded tape as you recorded it and I really could not tell the difference (very high quality ferrochrome tapes).

Before starting to sell them I recorded them all to PC and my daughter got to listen to one and was knocked out by the sound, however to me the difference in the sound quality mainly comes for the quality of the HiFi set up you are listening on. Just the difference between the bookshelf speakers in my bedroom set up and connecting the HiFi speakers instead would amaze a lot of people.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I did know that, just using it to point out that your ICE (in car entertainment ;) ) is probably as obsolete as your satnav :D
I knew you knew that, but not everyone might have !!! Vinyl only allowed at this end.

My car had a CD player. All mod cons.(y)

Boston playing now. Didn’t realise that first album didn’t have a title.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having to make key decisions on how I consider bands that have 'The' as first word in their name (The The being a bit different). So I'm going to put The Stranglers as a 'S' - but The Big Dish as a 'T'.

Likewise I am going to consider classical composers as being artists whose work is covered by another, so Beethoven won't be a B, in the way that Jennifer Warnes covering the works of Leonard Cohen will be a 'W'.

I have a good idea what my 'B' will be - still working it through. But for the reasons above it won't be Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5 (The Emperor) - I'm keeping that absolute favourite of mine for later.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This all reminds me of something I saw on the box the other day.

Some one reasonably famous was on a video link and he was standing in front to his book shelves. All the books were ordered in the colour of the covers eg all books with mainly blue cover were together.

Personally I like disorder because when you are searching for one thing you often come across something you have not listened to in years and that comes out instead.

When it came to tapes my wife used to just number the tape and have an index card of alphabetical names and tape numbers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This all reminds me of something I saw on the box the other day.

Some one reasonably famous was on a video link and he was standing in front to his book shelves. All the books were ordered in the colour of the covers eg all books with mainly blue cover were together.

Personally I like disorder because when you are searching for one thing you often come across something you have not listened to in years and that comes out instead.

When it came to tapes my wife used to just number the tape and have an index card of alphabetical names and tape numbers.
It was Ben Fogle who had sorted his books by colour - I think.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Was thinking of the Carpenters.:unsure::eek:

Got to be Cheap Trick and The Cars. Unfortunately I only have the Clash on cd.:(

Finishing today with BOC, Secret Treaties.(y)