A-Z vinyl collection

Temeura

Visit site
I was very fortunate when I popped into a local charity shop a few years back. The manager wanted rid of her vinyl stored out back. I went through a door to find boxes of vinyl stacked to the ceiling. She said I could have any album for 50p. I picked up about 200 over four visits, sneaking them through the door hoping my Mrs didn't notice my collection expanding. Still haven't listened to them all...though got some crackers - and was able to fill the huge gaps in my 1970s/80s rock/prog vinyl - plus some great 60s/70s pop, jazz and folk. Nothing of any great value - the most valuable probably being an original (mono) Rubber Soul (1965) and original Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (1959?)

I love the idea of using Discogs to catalogue my vinyl collection...will see how best to do that...it will take me yonks though

That is very lucky. I have searched loads of charity shops and never found anything of worth.

Only started collecting in January and nearly at 400 records. Been quite expensive.

Love Discogs, definitely worth using to catalogue your records.

https://discogs.page.link/191V

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That is very lucky. I have searched loads of charity shops and never found anything of worth.
Only started collecting in January and nearly at 400 records. Been quite expensive.
Love Discogs, definitely worth using to catalogue your records.
https://discogs.page.link/191V
Yes indeed - very lucky. Unfortunately I went back a fifth time to find that she'd shifted the lot out - drats! But I think I got most of what I wanted - except a handful of Rory Gallagher albums that I was going to have...never mind.

Separately I was at my mother-in-laws a few weekends back. And thought I'd have a browse through her (not very extensive) vinyl collection.

I opened the cupboard door with bated breath - she's 90 and though she's only been a classical music person these last 30yrs I've known her, I thought she and my father-in-law (dec) might have had a few decent 1950s/1960s stuff. Maybe something interesting into the 70s. The excitement...!

Well...plenty of Nana Mouskouri, James Last, Val Doonican, Your 100 Best Tunes... :(

The best I could find was...The Shirley Bassey Singles Album - apparently it was a mega seller in 1975....and she has done Glastonbury...hmmm...I left it there.

Anyway - for my Discogs catalogue I shall start with my 26 Alphabetical #1s from when Richart did this thread...then I'll add my #2s and #3s. Handily they are all listed on here :)

BTW - your collection looks very interesting...most of my collection is from when I was a skint student and early years earning...and so pretty mainstream stuff.

Last edited:

Temeura

Visit site
Yes indeed - very lucky. Unfortunately I went back a fifth time to find that she'd shifted the lot out - drats! But I think I got most of what I wanted - except a handful of Rory Gallagher albums that I was going to have...never mind.

Separately I was at my mother-in-laws a few weekends back. And thought I'd have a browse through her (not very extensive) vinyl collection.

I opened the cupboard door with bated breath - she's 90 and though she's only been a classical music person these last 30yrs I've known her, I thought she and my father-in-law (dec) might have had a few decent 1950s/1960s stuff. Maybe something interesting into the 70s. The excitement...!

Well...plenty of Nana Mouskouri, James Last, Val Doonican, Your 100 Best Tunes... :(

The best I could find was...The Shirley Bassey Singles Album - apparently it was a mega seller in 1975....and she has done Glastonbury...hmmm...I left it there.

Anyway - for my Discogs catalogue I shall start with my 26 Alphabetical #1s from when Richart did this thread...then I'll add my #2s and #3s. Handily they are all listed on here :)

BTW - your collection looks very interesting...most of my collection is from when I was a skint student and early years earning...and so pretty mainstream stuff.

My memory is terrible so I would definitely end up with duplicates without Discogs.

I just buy stuff I like, I do get tempted by special variants of records but I am just looking to get stuff I want to listen to. Discogs can be a money pit after a few beers.