A-Z vinyl collection

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
With a bit of spare time on my hands :whistle:, I have decided to play my vinyl collection, A-Z. One letter per day. I think I bought my last LP in the mid 80's, so it will be old time rock and roll.(y)

Originally was going to play one LP each day, but it meant leaving out too much good stuff, some of which I probably haven't played for 40 years.:eek:

Today naturally was A, and so far I have played one Asia and one After The Fire album. ATF not my normal taste, but great live, and the only band I have met in the bar after a gig. They were also supported by Q Tips at one gig, with Paul Young. Now he did have some voice.

Saw Asia shortly before John Wetton died. You would never have known he was ill, and one a my favourite gigs. On at 8.00, off at 9.30. No chat, no encore, just proper muscians playing some classic songs, and of course finishing with Heat Of The Moment. No rush to get the last train out of London to Farnham.

Vinyl sounds so good, especially after getting all the dust off the record player, and sorting out the wiring to the speakers.

Excuse the self indulgent thread, but anyone out there can join in. Sure there are a few oldies that will have some similar bands in their collection that need to be played nice and loud.

B, is going to be a great day. BOC at full blast.:eek: That should keep my no go zone to at least 50 yards round the house.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have a raft of vinyl in the loft but, sadly, nothing to play them on.....
Otherwise I'd join you.
Play some Bad Co for me tomorrow if you have some...(y)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Otherwise I'd join you.
Will do. Haven't heard Paul Rodgers for a while.

Not sure which of my 15 odd Barclays James Harvest to play.:unsure: Live tapes is a good double album. Black Sabbath, Boston, Bowie, it could be a loud day.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Not sure which of my 15 odd Barclays James Harvest to play.:unsure: Live tapes is a good double album. Black Sabbath, Boston, Bowie, it could be a loud day.
and which Beatles album? I await with B-ated B-reath. Must go have a delve and decide my #1 A-lister for this evening. It isn't going to be Abba (though not sure I've actually got an Abba album on vinyl).

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Today naturally was A, and so far I have played one Asia and one After The Fire album. ATF not my normal taste, but great live, and the only band I have met in the bar after a gig. They were also supported by Q Tips at one gig, with Paul Young. Now he did have some voice.

I listened to the first Asia album the other day whilst out walking. Their 1983 gig in Japan with Greg Lake on lead vocals is on YouTube and one of my favourites. I loved the Buggles so gravitated to Asia because of Geoff Downes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
'A' is a funny but ultimately a very fond and easy one.

My choice from my vinyl was very limited - so in some ways it was easy - but for one reason it was very easy.

Coming strongly in 2nd Place - Average White Band (the eponymous 'white' album). And if I wanted to be just too cool for school that would be the winner. But no.

Out front at #1 by a country mile (it's high on my list pf favourite albums ever) I give you Aztec Camera Love. From 1987 this was the album of when I met the 'to be' Mrs Hogie - and brings memories of that great time we had in Bristol with many dear friends. There will always be 'Somewhere in my Heart' for Love.

B is going to be difficult.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Otherwise I'd join you.

What a waste! I've got all my vinyl in the loft, but not before digitising every one. I started by making them into CDs but later went straight to mp3. The oldest is probably 60 years old & they sound great. I purchased a cheap program that let's me edit the music & seamlessly remove the clicks & pops you used to get on LPs.

All the music is on my PC & I can play it all over the house on a now obsolete Squeezebox system.

Imurg, you really should invest in one of those record decks with a USB input. Give you something to do during lock down.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't got any vinyl left - my collection has been transposed onto CD. Yesterday I could have offered you Aba Shante, Abakhaya Marimba Band, All About Eve and the Art of Noise. Today I can offer you B B King, the Bangles, Barclay James Harvest, Billy Bragg, Bob Marley & Brenda Fassie

D

Deleted member 23270

Yesterday would have been either AC/DC or Aha for me.....slightly different ends of the musical spectrum but there you go.

Looking forward to today's offering from Richart......once he posts it I'll stream it :)

D

Deleted member 23270

HID is bored so is putting my CD's in alphabetical order today. I told her I need the Blow Monkeys - Animal Magic left out as my random choice for the letter B
I take it she has finished cleaning all your MyJoys then? :p

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Otherwise I'd join you......

Ditto, although mine are boxed in the garage. If I think about it, I didn't buy many vinyl LP's (two large boxes in the garage,maybe 100 at best). Letter A limits me to ABBA or AHA at best :eek:.

It would definitely be Boston or Bowie for me.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Haven't got any vinyl left - my collection has been transposed onto CD. Yesterday I could have offered you Aba Shante, Abakhaya Marimba Band, All About Eve and the Art of Noise. Today I can offer you B B King, the Bangles, Barclay James Harvest, Billy Bragg, Bob Marley & Brenda Fassie

Ah, the alphabet dilemma. :unsure: I have B B King under K rather than B; Bob Marley would be under M.

We have precious little vinyl left, but still have CD's. We did Bryan Adams & Adele the other day as our A's, so we have The Beautiful South on at the moment. They will be followed by something from either Bon Jovi, Bread, The Beach Boys, George Benson, Chuck Berry, Blackberry Smoke or, if I can sneak it past my co-worker, Joe Bonamassa... :D

Good idea Rich. (y)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
When I looked at the list on my PC, tracks by Buddy Holly & Ray Charles came up with the name Ahmet Ertegun. Who? Turns out he was an American / Turkish songwriter & record company executive & wrote a lot of hits for the above two, BB King & Pat Boone. He died after falling over & hittng his head in the VIP area at a Rolling Stones concert. Wikipedia says "the Rolling Stones' performance that evening was captured by Martin Scorsese in the documentary film entitled Shine a Light"

Not really relevant but nothing much else to do just now.

My PC also tells me I've got 9,879 tracks in 890 albums, about 3 months of listening at 8 hours a day by my reckoning.