A Genuine Code of Conduct

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Turnberry members use the Turnberry clubhouse, same as members and visitors at any course. When I was there earlier this year there were a group of lady members on the table next to me.

My own course is a proprietary course and the current owner takes no notice of the members, rather like Donald or most hotel courses I suspect. 'My way or the highway' is a common phrase used at our place. He decides what you can and can not wear at our place, not the members.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Turnberry members use the Turnberry clubhouse, same as members and visitors at any course. When I was there earlier this year there were a group of lady members on the table next to me.

My own course is a proprietary course and the current owner takes no notice of the members, rather like Donald or most hotel courses I suspect. 'My way or the highway' is a common phrase used at our place. He decides what you can and can not wear at our place, not the members.

Muirfield was number 1 in the top 100 list for many years, try walking in there and having lunch with your hat on:ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No 1 one year, 2nd the next. It really doesn't matter whether 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. The point is it is seen as one of the best clubs, courses, clubhouses and it survives whilst having a liberal attitude, it has not been damaged by that. Equally, you can state that the hat police have not damaged Muirfield or TOC so it can swing both ways. It does suggest though that hat wearing indoors is not catastrophic for a club whereas players being violent with club throwing could be :D.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Try walking into The R&A club house

Fixed that for you.

Aside from Trump owning Turnberry, which is both horrific and irrelevant in this case (it's always been privately owned) I am sure they will have areas that would behave as a clubhouse would for members of a private club. i.e. locker area, a lounge for coffee, food, post game chat etc. And they may even their own clubhouse on or close to the site, like in St. Andrews.

I appreciate there is a nice thought about this being my club / our club when you are at a member owned place, but logistically and practially I'm not really sure it makes any difference is almost all areas of what people expect from their golf club membership.

Their relaxed dress code is far more likely to encourage people & participants than discourage. And clearly you or I have a far greater chance of becoming a member at Turnberrry than at the R&A or the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, for example.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fixed that for you.

Aside from Trump owning Turnberry, which is both horrific and irrelevant in this case (it's always been privately owned) I am sure they will have areas that would behave as a clubhouse would for members of a private club. i.e. locker area, a lounge for coffee, food, post game chat etc. And they may even their own clubhouse on or close to the site, like in St. Andrews.

I appreciate there is a nice thought about this being my club / our club when you are at a member owned place, but logistically and practially I'm not really sure it makes any difference is almost all areas of what people expect from their golf club membership.

Their relaxed dress code is far more likely to encourage people & participants than discourage. And clearly you or I have a far greater chance of becoming a member at Turnberrry than at the R&A or the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, for example.
not if the Don gets his way, i think he wanted to get rid if the members

but i think you missed my point anyway

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
not if the Don gets his way, i think he wanted to get rid if the members

but i think you missed my point anyway

No doubt, the members don't contribute enough in his view, even if he is happy for them to wear a hat while tucking into some scran. In fact the point about wearing hats in the club house is probably specifically to do with Trump, as once he has his hat on he can't take it off without spending a few hours re-gluing his hair into place.

Although Turnberry appears to be losing money at a decent rate of knots. So hopefully he gives up on both Turnberry and Aberdeen sooner rather than later and they can fall into more palatable hands. I personally will never play either of these venues at any or no cost while he has an interest. I believe a simple boycott by is likely to lead to him selling up quickly and a less toxic brand would have capacity to make decent money, even without changing anything.