A Genuine Code of Conduct

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what's the point of a tie? surely it's the most pointless piece of clothing ever invented, it serves no useful purpose at all.

you might think a cap is pointless indoors, and you may have a point, but does it actually offend anyone? If it does, then I'd suggest the problem is with the offended person, not the guy wearing the cap.

Ties stop the soup from ending up your shirt.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
what's the point of a tie? surely it's the most pointless piece of clothing ever invented, it serves no useful purpose at all.

you might think a cap is pointless indoors, and you may have a point, but does it actually offend anyone? If it does, then I'd suggest the problem is with the offended person, not the guy wearing the cap.

Using your cap example, and playing devil's advocate, why can't people insist on a tie?

I don't even own a tie now but I don't have a problem with people deciding its a rule for their club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1 You are not better than the other members at the club so need to look down your nose at them. Golf etiquette is still a thing, but it's not a 'class' thing.
2 If a high handicapper scores more than 36 points, or beats you in a competition, this does not automatically mean they are a bandit.
3 Rules are rules, but the rules and standing on a course have clearly changed since you 'learnt' the rules so be open to the idea that someone may actually know something you don't. Or at least agree to check later!
4 Women play golf now. Get over it, give them equal respect on (and off) the course
Well said sir. I'd add juniors are the future of the game and so don't treat them like naughty kids but embrace their enthusiasm and integrate them into the club

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hobbit, I'm not doing the quote thing as it was a long old post. Who decides on what is outdated, what is bad manners etc is a good point. Jackets, ties, long socks, phones in the clubhouse, hats inside. The world evolves. There are plenty of clubs that don't want to change, that is their right.

I went back and forth with Paul about wearing a cap inside as I've never understood the issue with wearing one inside being bad manners. I was trying to understand why it is a thing and equally I was trying to explain why the next generation absolutely do not see wearing one as bad manners and so no insult is intended. I've already mentioned that I don't wear one, I'm not fighting for my own right to wear one.

One thing to remember, the current no 1 golf course in the country, Turnberry, is quite happy for you to wear caps in the clubhouse or bar. It hasn't harmed their standing or credibility.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hobbit, I'm not doing the quote thing as it was a long old post. Who decides on what is outdated, what is bad manners etc is a good point. Jackets, ties, long socks, phones in the clubhouse, hats inside. The world evolves. There are plenty of clubs that don't want to change, that is their right.

I went back and forth with Paul about wearing a cap inside as I've never understood the issue with wearing one inside being bad manners. I was trying to understand why it is a thing and equally I was trying to explain why the next generation absolutely do not see wearing one as bad manners and so no insult is intended. I've already mentioned that I don't wear one, I'm not fighting for my own right to wear one.

One thing to remember, the current no 1 golf course in the country, Turnberry, is quite happy for you to wear caps in the clubhouse or bar. It hasn't harmed their standing or credibility.

That’s because it’s a Trump Course now and fully Americanised hence the wearing of Caps inside which imo isn’t good manners - a golf cap is for outdoor use to help you protect from the sun or rain so why do you need to wear it inside but you see it everywhere in American and Mr Trump himself

It does make me giggle though when Army guys have to wear their berets inside and even whilst driving around on camp

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

The point I was trying to make is that what is outdated to you isn't outdated to someone else. And then its about respect for each other's position. Some clubs allow modern attitudes and practices, as is their right, and others don't, as is their right.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about Turnberry's standing, nor any other club's to be honest. My own view is if I visited a Wentworth I'd respect their rules and values, and behave and dress as their rules dictate, and the same for Turnberry. What I wouldn't do is decide to wear a cap if it would upset someone. That's just selfish.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That’s because it’s a Trump Course now and fully Americanised hence the wearing of Caps inside which imo isn’t good manners - a golf cap is for outdoor use to help you protect from the sun or rain so why do you need to wear it inside but you see it everywhere in American and Mr Trump himself

It does make me giggle though when Army guys have to wear their berets inside and even whilst driving around on camp

To hide the ridiculous white forehead they get from always wearing a hat outside... ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

Why would you giggle if the Army rules and regulations state when and were soldiers had to be in full uniform? I thought you’d been brought up to respect rules and regulations.
Or maybe it’s because the raf were a bag of :poop:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A couple of things that may be worth considering in a genuine code of conduct are:

Not making phone calls during a round, unless in an emergency.
Not failing to notify your playing partners if you cannot play, in a timely manner.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The point I was trying to make is that what is outdated to you isn't outdated to someone else. And then its about respect for each other's position. Some clubs allow modern attitudes and practices, as is their right, and others don't, as is their right.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about Turnberry's standing, nor any other club's to be honest. My own view is if I visited a Wentworth I'd respect their rules and values, and behave and dress as their rules dictate, and the same for Turnberry. What I wouldn't do is decide to wear a cap if it would upset someone. That's just selfish.

No problem with that. I always check the code of a club before I visit and dress accordingly.

Dress codes and golf clubs are a never ending discussion. I can't think of any other sport that has this conflict. That in itself suggests something is wrong to me but I suspect we are another 10-15 years away from widespread changes.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No problem with that. I always check the code of a club before I visit and dress accordingly.

Dress codes and golf clubs are a never ending discussion. I can't think of any other sport that has this conflict. That in itself suggests something is wrong to me but I suspect we are another 10-15 years away from widespread changes.
Most other sports have a dress code. Football, rugby, cricket etc. People don't seem to have a problem following the dress code in those sports so why do they in golf?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Most other sports have a dress code. Football, rugby, cricket etc. People don't seem to have a problem following the dress code in those sports so why do they in golf?

I'm not sure your average amateur football team are turning up smart / casual to the ground prior to a match. And even a lot of professional lower league teams will be track suits to and from a game.

I don't see the dress code as an issue in golf at all. If anything the stricter dress codes are a bigger problem and the vast majority of clubs who want to attract new members have relaxed their dress codes and are fine with jeans / trainers in the lounge.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Wear what you want and are comfortable with, however also respect club values and rules. If I'm visiting I'll always wear dress shoes not casual shoes or trainers, just so I don't breach any "rules". However that is just me.

Caps in the clubhouse, it's not my cup of tea to be honest but if you are allowed to and you feel the need to wear it then that is your choice. Won't get me up nor down.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Trump Turnberry isn't a club though is its ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It is in that you can join and play as a member, although the course and property are obviously privately owned.
there may well be some who pay for some sort of membership, but its not a members club, but a private resort course.. i'd would imagine the "club" have little or no say in anything

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
there may well be some who pay for some sort of membership, but its not a members club, but a private resort course.. i'd would imagine the "club" have little or no say in anything

Do you not think that is also the case for members of any St. Andrews clubs?

There are lots of clubs who don't own their courses or properties, or have a say in how they are run. They still pay their fees for access to the course or courses.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you not think that is also the case for members of any St. Andrews clubs?

There are lots of clubs who don't own their courses or properties, or have a say in how they are run. They still pay their fees for access to the course or courses.

we are not talking about any others, someone posted that Turnberry is the No1 course in the UK and they let you wear a hat indoors. My point was its not a members club.

anyway that's not the same thing all the St Andrews clubs would be able to set rules in there own clubhouses.
I'm not sure the Turberry members have a club house or get any say in what The Donald does in his .

Try walking into The R&A club house with your hat and golf shoes on;)