A Genuine Code of Conduct

D

Deleted member 16999

I think the point raised was that etiquette or a code has been removed from the new rules so any behaviour is down to the club alone. That is how I read the point raised in the Rules section. Clearly behaviour in the Clubhouse has always been a club matter, or so I would assume.

Hats are a fashion item. Why not wear one in a clubhouse? I don't but they don't bother me and I don't see why people can't wear them indoors. The 'respect' argument is a bit outdated for me. Wearing one indoors is not disrespectful, it is just a change in how people dress.
So if dungarees are the next fashion or pyjamas, then again you’d see no harm!
I don’t see it as outdated, just good manners.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't thought the matter through yet, but I'd reckon offhand that it should be the Committee's job to deal with infractions and penalties not the job of other players.
So you want a committee member with every match on the course:mad:

It is a marker's responsibility to report any infractions that might lead to penalty shots being added. How can a committee deal with it if they are not told of the infraction.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clothing, what goes on the club house etc should already be in the clubs rules and regs, at least they are where I play.

The code of conduct is strictly for use under the Rules of Golf and is specifically what goes on immediately preceeding (entry procedures etc) during a round , immediately after up until and including the point where the card has been returned to the committee and matters ralating to the round that might come to light at a later stage.

The penalties options have been laid out by the R&A but they have only given a guide and some examples of how to use.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely the R&A only mean a code of conduct for the game itself.
I’d imagine behaviour in the clubhouse is absolutely nothing to do with them.
As for the old wearing hats indoor, why do you need to? Surely they serve no purpose indoors.
You don't need to tell someone to remove their hat either. If someone pops in from the garden to buy three beers and carry them back outside again, you're going to make him carry his hat in his teeth? :LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

You don't need to tell someone to remove their hat either. If someone pops in from the garden to buy three beers and carry them back outside again, you're going to make him carry his hat in his teeth? :LOL:
If he had good manners and knew he was coming indoors he’d of removed his hat and avoided the worry were to put it while he carried the beers. ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he had good manners and knew he was coming indoors he’d of removed his hat and avoided the worry were to put it while he carried the beers. ;)
That's the sort of thing that very easily slips somebody's mind if they've been wearing the hat in the sun all day, as Lord Tyrion mentioned earlier.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if dungarees are the next fashion or pyjamas, then again you’d see no harm!
I don’t see it as outdated, just good manners.

Are dungarees really that different to some of the Poulter / Daly trousers that you can get? I agree they would look stupid but then I think that when I see someone walking down the street in dungarees :D. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to dress codes on a golf course, partly because I think most golf gear makes sense to wear, so people would keep wearing it, and partly because few people want to be 'the one' who dresses completely differently. We are herd people most of the time.

The outdated / manners debate is perhaps a separate one but I suspect the fact that you see it as manners is giving away your age :p. There is a new generation that see caps as part of their outfits and wearing one indoors is as natural as wearing shoes. It is not bad manners to them, it is part of their look. We employ a 21yr old lad who wears a baseball cap all of the time. It doesn't affect his work, it is part of how he dresses. Think of it as how our generation don't think of going out without a tie as disrespectful yet for older people it would be almost sinful, or was when I was smaller.

D

Deleted member 16999

That's the sort of thing that very easily slips somebody's mind if they've been wearing the hat in the sun all day, as Lord Tyrion mentioned earlier.
Only if they have bad manners and low standards, ;)
If I’ve been in the sun all day the last thong I want is to keep a hat on, a lot of body heat is expended through the head, why keep cooking?

D

Deleted member 16999

Are dungarees really that different to some of the Poulter / Daly trousers that you can get? I agree they would look stupid but then I think that when I see someone walking down the street in dungarees :D. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to dress codes on a golf course, partly because I think most golf gear makes sense to wear, so people would keep wearing it, and partly because few people want to be 'the one' who dresses completely differently. We are herd people most of the time.

The outdated / manners debate is perhaps a separate one but I suspect the fact that you see it as manners is giving away your age :p. There is a new generation that see caps as part of their outfits and wearing one indoors is as natural as wearing shoes. It is not bad manners to them, it is part of their look. We employ a 21yr old lad who wears a baseball cap all of the time. It doesn't affect his work, it is part of how he dresses. Think of it as how our generation don't think of going out without a tie as disrespectful yet for older people it would be almost sinful, or was when I was smaller.

But its not just caps is it, would you view it the same way if someone was wearing a bobble hat or them russian fur ones with ear flaps?
Fashion or not, I don’t see the point of a hat indoors.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only if they have bad manners and low standards, ;)
If I’ve been in the sun all day the last thong I want is to keep a hat on, a lot of body heat is expended through the head, why keep cooking?
Slightly bizarre for a club to order people to remove their hat on the basis that they need to lose more body heat, if that's what you're suggesting.

I generally take my hat off when I'm going inside, just purely as it feels naturally to do so, but if somebody doesn't then I don't give it a second's thought, let alone be perturbed to the point where I want it removed. Who cares?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But its not just caps is it, would you view it the same way if someone was wearing a bobble hat or them russian fur ones with ear flaps?
I think anything that you can wear on the course, you should be able to wear in the clubhouse. Quite simple. (y)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
1 You are not better than the other members at the club so need to look down your nose at them. Golf etiquette is still a thing, but it's not a 'class' thing.
2 If a high handicapper scores more than 36 points, or beats you in a competition, this does not automatically mean they are a bandit.
3 Rules are rules, but the rules and standing on a course have clearly changed since you 'learnt' the rules so be open to the idea that someone may actually know something you don't. Or at least agree to check later!
4 Women play golf now. Get over it, give them equal respect on (and off) the course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

It genuinely doesn't bother me, apart from those Nordic type ones which I have an irrational dislike of whether worn indoors or outdoors. People wear stuff that seems odd to me quite often so a hat indoors of whatever type is neither here nor there.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

what's the point of a tie? surely it's the most pointless piece of clothing ever invented, it serves no useful purpose at all.

you might think a cap is pointless indoors, and you may have a point, but does it actually offend anyone? If it does, then I'd suggest the problem is with the offended person, not the guy wearing the cap.

D

Deleted member 16999

what's the point of a tie? surely it's the most pointless piece of clothing ever invented, it serves no useful purpose at all.

you might think a cap is pointless indoors, and you may have a point, but does it actually offend anyone? If it does, then I'd suggest the problem is with the offended person, not the guy wearing the cap.
Who has mentioned taking offence or being offended?
A hat is an outdoor garment that, imo, should be removed indoors, Golf Club, house, gym, etc, but if you wish to wear a tie on your head, fill your boots ;)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Who has mentioned taking offence or being offended?
A hat is an outdoor garment that, imo, should be removed indoors, Golf Club, house, gym, etc, but if you wish to wear a tie on your head, fill your boots ;)

You said earlier that wearing a cap indoors was "bad manners" amd "low standards". Hence why I thought you were offended ...

so if it doesn't offend you, I don't get why you want them banned?

btw - plenty young lads wear a cap at the gym I go to. I wouldn't but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they do.

D

Deleted member 16999

You said earlier that wearing a cap indoors was "bad manners" amd "low standards". Hence why I thought you were offended ...

so if it doesn't offend you, I don't get why you want them banned?

btw - plenty young lads wear a cap at the gym I go to. I wouldn't but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they do.
I give in mate, you win, after those words I also posted a winking emoji, ie I was joking!
Wearing a hat to the gym? Maybe they should spend more time working out than worrying how they look!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

C'mon Neil, outdated to who? And that's were the confrontation starts. You think its ok but another generation thinks otherwise. Both are right and both are wrong.

So how do you resolve it? Resolving it has been going on since Noah floated his first yacht in the bath tub. Every generation pushes the current boundaries, and every 'outgoing' generation pushes back. Tolerance and acceptance is needed from both sides, and a willingness to compromise. The older generation want 'x' and the younger generation want 'y.' What is the compromise? The compromise has seen jackets and ties disappear, and has seen the inclusion of jeans in the clubhouse.

No one's died, and governments haven't toppled. But both sides feel like they are the injured party. And then its about rules, the point of the OP. But its not just about rules, its about how they are administered. When I started out a junior had to change their shoes in the greens shed, and ordered their sandwich from the backdoor of the kitchen. Thankfully those rules are long since dead, 46 years dead.

There's always be confrontation about rules but its how that discussion is managed.