A “moral dilemma”....? What would you do?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Be interested to hear people’s views on this.

The other day I was in a branch of Smyths toy shop getting some Christmas presents for the kids. Couple of scooters, few other bits and bobs. And Family Trivial Pursuit. Trolley was pretty full mainly cos of the scooters, so when I was at the checkout I lifted some of the things out, but the woman scanned some of the items while they were just sat in the trolley. Paid up (£170 total) and walked out.

Back at my car I was unloading the stuff into the boot. I lifted out Trivial Pursuit (£22 in price) and realised she hadn’t scanned it. I’d walked out without paying for it.

So at this point, in my head there were three options.

1. Go back in. Explain what had happened and pay for it.

2. Congratulate myself on getting a freebie. Say nothing and leave.

3. Not go back in. They're a big company. They can take the hit. But to assuage any personal feelings of guilt, make an equivalent donation to charity or other good cause.

I pondered it for a few seconds. Then decided I’d feel too guilty if I didn’t say anything. So I went back in and paid!

So, what would you do? Perhaps there’s no dilemma for you and your decision would be a quick and easy one! Was I too honest?! Be interested if there’s a consensus on this or not!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It sounds like you want us to say well done for not being a thief. I don't see what the moral dilemma was .

Yea, the Bobby Jones thing when someone praised him for calling a shot penalty on himself that no one saw.
'you might as well praise me for not robbing a bank'

Funnily enough we had a spot of that this week.
My Mrs chased up a late £20 order on Amazon only for it to be delivered the next day.
The following day she got a £20 credit on Paypal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OK then, to raise the "jeopardy" a little, what would you in the same scenario but didn't spot the mistake until you had unloaded the car and were home indoors. Would you drive back to the shop to report it/pay for it or would you do leave it? In the OP I don't think there's any dilemma at all but I just wonder if anyone would act differently having come all the way home?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ok we seem to agree option 1 is the 'right' thing to do. Now imagine instead of a £22 Trivial Pursuit set it is an extra mars bar worth 50p from the supermarket and you only discover it once you get home. How many of us are going back to the shop then?

EDIT: Homer types faster than I do !

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah time for some whatiffery.....
Do we all get to make up a scenario?

Okay, so I get home and Jennifer Anniston is lying on my bed in her underwear. Do I a/ smile and have the time of my life, b/ ask her to leave c/ cry at the unfairness of this happening now that I am happily married?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: