A “moral dilemma”....? What would you do?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It’s ENTIRELY black and white.

I’m saying it’s a crime. It is. That’s most certainly covered by the law. You’ve appropriated their property with the intention to permanently deprive them of it. That’s the legalese that covers it as said to me by a legal professional just moments ago.

You’re talking about what people would do with the information. Many would choose to just take the item because it can’t be traced to them, probably. Many will take it back. It’s unlikely to lead to a prosecution because it’s such a small scale crime that it’s not necessarily in the public interest.

Shame they missed out the bit about dishonesty then as a legal professional;

From the Theft Act 1968;

1Basic definition of theft.
(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

A further read down the same Act makes it more interesting as it defines appropriates...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Shame they missed out the bit about dishonesty then as a legal professional;

From the Theft Act 1968;

1Basic definition of theft.
(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

A further read down the same Act makes it more interesting as it defines appropriates...

Yes. And in the original post he states HE SAW HE HADN’T PAID FOR IT.

Therefore he knows it isn’t paid for and to not take it back is theft. Are you really pretending you don’t see that keeping a knowingly unpaid item is theft?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Yes. And in the original post he states HE SAW HE HADN’T PAID FOR IT.

Therefore he knows it isn’t paid for and to not take it back is theft. Are you really pretending you don’t see that keeping a knowingly unpaid item is theft?

I was actually commenting on the fact that your legal professional didn't mention the dishonesty aspect of theft, not on the OP. As you are so keen on telling others, read what I posted. :rolleyes:

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Wow. So you added nothing. Thank you. We can move on from this rather swiftly.

I actually added the legal definition of theft, which is quite useful given what we're discussing.

When it comes to adding nothing to a thread, I'll bow to your superior knowledge (y). Goodnight.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Of course it's a crime and for anyone to stand on a principal that committing any crime is abhorrent is just plain naive. Taking a pen or post it note from work is a crime. Report yourself to the police station.

Such a silly argument

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My old scratch foursomes league partner was enormously long with a massive big hook. He was only a wee guy as well.
I was fairly straight and consistent so we paired well so long as we chose our holes and placement carefully.

He used to buy his balls 3 dozen at a time with 'Osh It' printed on them. Generally found 50 yards in from the left fairway.:)

But did he get them given back?;)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay, so I get home and Jennifer Anniston is lying on my bed in her underwear. Do I a/ smile and have the time of my life, b/ ask her to leave c/ cry at the unfairness of this happening now that I am happily married?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The correct answer is actually d/ Challenge her to a game of the Trivial Pursuit that you've just stolen. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The correct answer is actually d/ Challenge her to a game of the Trivial Pursuit that you've just stolen. (y)
Of all the things I could think of doing with JA, playing Trivial Pursuit would be a very long way down the list. Then again if it was a stolen TP then that would be very naughty wouldn't it? Very naughty :unsure:..

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm definitely in the say nothing and walk away camp. Looks like I'll be lonely in this 'moral dilemma' scenario, but I bet id be with lots of others in real life!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The real crime here is that a basic board game like trivial pursuit that's been knocking about for 30+ years costs £22 :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The real crime here is that a basic board game like trivial pursuit that's been knocking about for 30+ years costs £22 :eek:
Not necessarily so. If as in the scenario I posted, I got home, unpacked and then discovered I'd not been charged, the chances of me getting back in a car, driving back to town, parking, going back to the shop, paying, paying for car parking and then coming home are slim to none. Whether that simply makes me a thief and a bad person or not, that's the stark reality

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not necessarily so. If as in the scenario I posted, I got home, unpacked and then discovered I'd not been charged, the chances of me getting back in a car, driving back to town, parking, going back to the shop, paying, paying for car parking and then coming home are slim to none. Whether that simply makes me a thief and a bad person or not, that's the stark reality

Or might you just call them and pay electronically thus removing all 'excuses' of the time/effort and additional cost of returning to pay being offset in your mind against the £22?

Now if it had been the slightly less popular (but much more fun) board game of Scruples that was not charged, I would think the Checkout staff where having a right old laugh at my expense and adding tremendous value to the game I'd just bought/nicked!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going back to pay is the right thing. Not to pay is theft.

You need to look at the definition of theft - which has been partly posted above. Theft is when someone "dishonestly appropriates" stuff. And you then need to look at what is meant by both "dishonestly" and "appropriates". Basically, as soon as someone realises they've not paid (when they should have paid) for something then they know they have no right to possess it, and they know the owner would not have agreed for them to havd it without paying - so it's theft. Whether someone else can prove it was theft is a different argument - but one which does not stop it being theft.

Wolf

Visit site
I'm definitely in the say nothing and walk away camp. Looks like I'll be lonely in this 'moral dilemma' scenario, but I bet id be with lots of others in real life!
I'm happy to admit I'll be joining you on that lonely walk in this dilemma. He took it to the till with intention to pay shop made the mistake in not scanning it so imo not his fault