A “moral dilemma”....? What would you do?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Okay, so I get home and Jennifer Anniston is lying on my bed in her underwear. Do I a/ smile and have the time of my life, b/ ask her to leave c/ cry at the unfairness of this happening now that I am happily married?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
as Shaun Rider would say "Call the Cops"

as a mad Jennifer Anniston look alike as broken into your house

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It isn’t a morale dilemma only, it’s also a legal dilemma. To not return would have been theft.

Sort of. It's only theft once you realise the mistake, prior to that it is not. However, to be found guilty, the prosecution would have to prove you realised the mistake, so apart from checking forums for people who have posted about such situations, they may not be able to do this. So it comes down to your conscience, and remains a moral dilemma, as only you can return the item or own up to assist the prosecution.

I know everyone on the forum is an angel, and always does the right thing, so how about if the item was scanned, but was coded as the wrong item in the system, or had the wrong barcode, so came up as £1 item, despite being worth much more. What would you do?
Of course, I mean, once you have pointed it out and the cashier has said "well that's how it scanned," and you've called the manager and they have said the same, and you've tried to reprogram the EPoS system, but the database is not one you are familiar with. Do you turn yourself in at the police station, or just take the item home?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Sort of. It's only theft once you realise the mistake, prior to that it is not. However, to be found guilty, the prosecution would have to prove you realised the mistake, so apart from checking forums for people who have posted about such situations, they may not be able to do this. So it comes down to your conscience, and remains a moral dilemma, as only you can return the item or own up to assist the prosecution.

I know everyone on the forum is an angel, and always does the right thing, so how about if the item was scanned, but was coded as the wrong item in the system, or had the wrong barcode, so came up as £1 item, despite being worth much more. What would you do?
Of course, I mean, once you have pointed it out and the cashier has said "well that's how it scanned," and you've called the manager and they have said the same, and you've tried to reprogram the EPoS system, but the database is not one you are familiar with. Do you turn yourself in at the police station, or just take the item home?

Read the original post. He clearly says he realised his mistake. That’s theft if he didn’t return it. The rest of what you said isn’t really relevant to this discussion.

But if you knowingly deprive someone of something - a person, a business, whoever - permanently then it’s theft. If someone at a shop gives you allowance to take the cheaper item then, as long as they have authority to do so, you aren’t committing a crime.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Read the original post. He clearly says he realised his mistake. That’s theft if he didn’t return it. The rest of what you said isn’t really relevant to this discussion.

But if you knowingly deprive someone of something - a person, a business, whoever - permanently then it’s theft. If someone at a shop gives you allowance to take the cheaper item then, as long as they have authority to do so, you aren’t committing a crime.

Read my post again. How would the prosecution prove intent, unless you admitted it? Therefore despite it most likely being theft, it relies entirely on morality and one's own conscience, to admit either at the time or to the prosecutor to be found guilty.

Personally, I'm with drive4show, everyone on the internet a perfectly moral law abiding citizen or drives it 350 yards of a swing speed of 70mph. In the real world people's actions would vary depending on the store, the value of the item, when they discovered the mistake, the weather and 100 other factors. A handful of people would correct the mistake no matter what, a handful would not and the majority would fall somewhere in between.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Read my post again. How would the prosecution prove intent, unless you admitted it? Therefore despite it most likely being theft, it relies entirely on morality and one's own conscience, to admit either at the time or to the prosecutor to be found guilty.

Personally, I'm with drive4show, everyone on the internet a perfectly moral law abiding citizen or drives it 350 yards of a swing speed of 70mph. In the real world people's actions would vary depending on the store, the value of the item, when they discovered the mistake, the weather and 100 other factors. A handful of people would correct the mistake no matter what, a handful would not and the majority would fall somewhere in between.

I’ll refer you to read mine yet again because you aren’t getting it. He realised he hadn’t paid. As soon as that happens, it’s a crime. I’m not talking about the chance of prosecution proving it (they’d rarely have to as such a case at this level wouldn’t often get to trial). But it is a crime and that’s more than a moral decision, even if there’s a 99% he’ll get away with it!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ll refer you to read mine yet again because you aren’t getting it. He realised he hadn’t paid. As soon as that happens, it’s a crime. I’m not talking about the chance of prosecution proving it (they’d rarely have to as such a case at this level wouldn’t often get to trial). But it is a crime and that’s more than a moral decision, even if there’s a 99% he’ll get away with it!

This is going round in circles. All I will say is the law is not so black and white. Notice that when you speak to legal professionals they do not speak in absolutes for this exact reason.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
This is going round in circles. All I will say is the law is not so black and white. Notice that when you speak to legal professionals they do not speak in absolutes for this exact reason.

It’s ENTIRELY black and white.

I’m saying it’s a crime. It is. That’s most certainly covered by the law. You’ve appropriated their property with the intention to permanently deprive them of it. That’s the legalese that covers it as said to me by a legal professional just moments ago.

You’re talking about what people would do with the information. Many would choose to just take the item because it can’t be traced to them, probably. Many will take it back. It’s unlikely to lead to a prosecution because it’s such a small scale crime that it’s not necessarily in the public interest.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...next time you find a virtually new Pro V1 in the long grass with an id on it you know..... mmmmmmmmmmm ???? :p

My old scratch foursomes league partner was enormously long with a massive big hook. He was only a wee guy as well.
I was fairly straight and consistent so we paired well so long as we chose our holes and placement carefully.

He used to buy his balls 3 dozen at a time with 'Osh It' printed on them. Generally found 50 yards in from the left fairway.:)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I love threads like this. I suspect that what people post on a forum and what they actually do in real life may not be the same thing.

Suspect the same - same thing happened to me - I was in the car park....thought about it for a few seconds and thought screw them.......(they were a very large company). I do think if it was a small family business I may respond differently. No guilt at all stealing from a large company, who I know pay a fortune to experts to steal from the tax payer. I would do it again and again if it happened again

D

Deleted Member 1156

It’s ENTIRELY black and white.

I’m saying it’s a crime. It is. That’s most certainly covered by the law. You’ve appropriated their property with the intention to permanently deprive them of it. That’s the legalese that covers it as said to me by a legal professional just moments ago.

You’re talking about what people would do with the information. Many would choose to just take the item because it can’t be traced to them, probably. Many will take it back. It’s unlikely to lead to a prosecution because it’s such a small scale crime that it’s not necessarily in the public interest.
Is it a crime if you don't realise they haven't charged you though? 😉