A “moral dilemma”....? What would you do?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Notice the error at the till or in the vicinity, then no problem go back to the till and get their mistake corrected. Notice the error having left the building/car park/ area then I dont see it as any different to finding a £20 in the street, so you accept it as a genuine case of luck shining on you. Sometimes something lucky happens to you.
No I don't consider it theft, you havent deliberately concealed the item.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Notice the error at the till or in the vicinity, then no problem go back to the till and get their mistake corrected. Notice the error having left the building/car park/ area then I dont see it as any different to finding a £20 in the street, so you accept it as a genuine case of luck shining on you. Sometimes something lucky happens to you.
No I don't consider it theft, you havent deliberately concealed the item.

Once you realise the error, it’s theft. That’s the law.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Might sound a bit goody-goody - but I always try and do the right thing and be honest at all times and in all things - unless to do so will hurt others - and then will I know the right thing to do.

A simple concept but often difficult or painful to put into practice but I know that this can prevent my worries, guilts, fears and concerns building up - and life can be hard enough, with difficult things being flung my way to cope with, without me carrying about issues with little things that I can just avoid.

And so I walk out the shop then realise I have too much change - I go back and hand it back. If I realise in a shop that I have been undercharged for something or that they have missed something - I tell them. If it isn't practical or impossible to correct the mistake then that's just how it is - I have just got to sometimes accept that there are times that I can't change what has been done - and that's OK - no guilt or worries.

It's not rocket science as far as I am concerned (then again - rocket science is quite easy given I was a missile guidance, control and navigation systems engineer for ten years :) )

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once you realise the error, it’s theft. That’s the law.
Just as doing 72 on a motorway is breaking the law, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
To balance things out, just as if I'm not near when I discover the missed item, if i find I have been short changed I'm not going to go back and argue about it. In the store/very near location then no probs but further than that then thats life and the rub of the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alright, I'll be honest, I would probably take the freebie and put it down to the cashier's error in not scanning the item. This is a national company and I wouldn't have any guilt about that. If it was a small business owner, corner shop etc, it's different, I would've gone back and paid then.

Edit: Just caught up the last few pages as well, I'll venture that there are a lot of fibbers in here.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Alright, I'll be honest, I would probably take the freebie and put it down to the cashier's error in not scanning the item. This is a national company and I wouldn't have any guilt about that. If it was a small business owner, corner shop etc, it's different, I would've gone back and paid then.

Edit: Just caught up the last few pages as well, I'll venture that there are a lot of fibbers in here.
perfect secret santa present Id say lol

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I might have done that in the past - but what stopped me was when as a student I worked in a pub - and if the till was down the staff had to make it up - no exceptions. I felt this unfair for all - we all make mistakes...No sharing out if till was over...

And so when a shop assistant gives me too much change I consider that the assistant might have to make up the shortage out of his or her wages. And so I give the money back.

These days I do it as it is the right thing to do

Last edited: