5wd from the tee

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening, yesterday I played using my 5wd off the tee instead of my naughty driver. Anyway off the tee I wasn't hitting that far but on the 2nd I hit it off the deck and boy did it fly so from then on hit it from the deck and was great. Every now and again I hit a 2nd tee shot off a tee and didn't go as far and alot just higher. I was only using the small yellow tee's as well. Never hit my 5wd that far but have been working on it at the range over the last couple of weeks and seems to have paid off. Do you guys have any idea why It was better off the deck than a tee?

Dayer9

Visit site
Sounds exactly what I use to do. You sound afraid to commit off the tee incase you sky it. I use the blue castle tee for my 3 and 5 wood and i hit them sweet as a nut. Try the blue tees maybe.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
could depend on what you mean by 'small yellow tees'.

as an example, I know what a blue castle tee is and would never use anything that high for anything other than a driver (and it's too low for that for me).

just tee the ball clear of the surface, effectively giving it 'the perfect fairway lie' - it's what it is designed for.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You should always use a tee (in my opinion) even if there's only 1-2mm showing.

I expect you hit a little more down on the ball when it was on the ground out of fear of 'sweeping and fatting' it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd tee it pretty low - just above the ground.

The Orange Castle tees that are lower than the Red ones are about right.

Off the deck, you are probably committing to hitting down on the ball. Off the tee - especially with high tees - you are probably sweeping more, which could well be less efficient - for you. Tee-ing it low will be more like the 'off the deck' style, hich seems to suit you.

Dayer9

Visit site
as an example, I know what a blue castle tee is and would never use anything that high for anything other than a driver (and it's too low for that for me).

I don't agree to a blue castle being too high for anything other than a driver. Orange, red, blue castles dont have massive differences. work tgrough them to gain ur favourite. A lot might depend on handicap. Your a 9.7 so a tidy player. What's your handicap philsh?