5/6th of handicap

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played a 4bbb 15 hole non counting comp today, sweep money prize, handicap allowance was 5/6th.
First time I've ever heard of it, has anyone ever heard of this 5/6th allowance before ?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
We played a 4bbb 15 hole non counting comp today, sweep money prize, handicap allowance was 5/6th.
First time I've ever heard of it, has anyone ever heard of this 5/6th allowance before ?

I assume 9/10ths was too hard to calculate? 😂

Having said that , it might be the best fit fraction given you're missing out on 1/6th of the holes. Although fractions aren't my strongest subject so don't shoot me down.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I assume 9/10ths was too hard to calculate? 😂

Having said that , it might be the best fit fraction given you're missing out on 1/6th of the holes. Although fractions aren't my strongest subject so don't shoot me down.

I thought the normal 90% would have worked fine as we were missing out the last 3 hole stroke indexes anyway :confused:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems to me that someone is confusing the 'Holes Played' with 'Competition Format' for the Handicap Allowance!

I'd suggest that 90% allowance was still pretty appropriate.Though specific SIs of the holes not played MIGHT have a bearing.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to me that someone is confusing the 'Holes Played' with 'Competition Format' for the Handicap Allowance!

I'd suggest that 90% allowance was still pretty appropriate.Though specific SIs of the holes not played MIGHT have a bearing.

I thought the same, holes missed out were 16, 17, 18, index numbers 4, 16, 10.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Well....5/6 = 0.8333 and 15/18 = 0.8333 so it appears the organizing committee have done a simple pro-rata calculation based on the number of holes played.

But if it was better ball surely they should then still have taken 9/10ths of the resultant calculated handicap?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a simplicity to 90% in that anyone can get their phone out, go to the calculator app and type their h/c x 0.9. To get 5/6 you have to do an additional calculation to get it to a metric measurement. 5/6 is over complicating something that doesn't need over complicating.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a simplicity to 90% in that anyone can get their phone out, go to the calculator app and type their h/c x 0.9. To get 5/6 you have to do an additional calculation to get it to a metric measurement. 5/6 is over complicating something that doesn't need over complicating.

:thup:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

I hope that was said tongue in cheek?? :eek:

I can't believe that anyone can't work out 10% of their handicap in their head, then subtract it? Surely one doesn't need an app?

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hope that was said tongue in cheek?? :eek:

I can't believe that anyone can't work out 10% of their handicap in their head, then subtract it? Surely one doesn't need an app?

You have clearly never handed out cards at a comp where 90% is the norm 😁. I did it for an Open at our place a month or so ago. Many looked blank, others wanted confirmation to make sure they didn't get it wrong and get a dq.

I've seen worse crimes than people double checking their handicap allowance via a device. Better than playing for four hours, get a good score and discover you made a simple error to nullify your score.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have clearly never handed out cards at a comp where 90% is the norm . I did it for an Open at our place a month or so ago. Many looked blank, others wanted confirmation to make sure they didn't get it wrong and get a dq.

I've seen worse crimes than people double checking their handicap allowance via a device. Better than playing for four hours, get a good score and discover you made a simple error to nullify your score.

The player's only responsibility in this respect is to put his correct playing handicap on the card. Any calculation of 90% or any other proportion is up to the committee. The player cannot be DQd if he calculates strokes received incorrectly.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have clearly never handed out cards at a comp where 90% is the norm 😁. I did it for an Open at our place a month or so ago. Many looked blank, others wanted confirmation to make sure they didn't get it wrong and get a dq.

Correct - l have never handed out the cards at a comp. So fair do's, you live & learn ...

I do despair sometimes! I mean, 10% ?? Having trouble with say 9%, or 11% or 15% l could believe - but 10?